PDA

View Full Version : Quickie axle bearing job-Never easier

ranger400ex
05-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Just a tip for all of you on changing your bearings. Instead of using a puller, hammer and screwdriver <-OUCH!, or pressing out try this

Place a little of break free around bearing OD
then place carrier with seals removed in oven at 250F for 10-15
minutes At the same time put new bearings in freezer in bag

remover carrier with mitt and tap lightly on solid surface(Dont bash) bearing will plop out, turn over and repaeat for other side.
Remove spacer tube

Clean carrier and spacer/grease inside and out

Place carrier back in oven for a few minutes. Take out carrier and chilled bearings. Drop in one bearing, flip and drop in spacer then other bearing. Let cool on side and check that bearings are seated against shoulder/spacer. Lightly tap with mallet and socket to verify. Easy as that, go grab a cold one and slap er back in the ex. pat yourself on back because you just saved a bunch of cash.

knighttime
05-22-2002, 09:37 AM
im gonna try it cause my bearing are bad. :(

Razorback
05-22-2002, 11:27 AM
nice. definitely worth a try.

Deathbringer
05-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Cool idea man, I am always looking for better ways of doing things.

ranger400ex
05-22-2002, 12:32 PM
the aluminum expands so rapidly compared to the bearings. interesting part about this is you can actually see the small gap around the bearings right after your remove it from the oven. One note though, do not "shock" the carrier right after heating. ie (running under sold water, spraying with something cold)

The good part is when you are putting the new ones in which are chilled they cause the carrier to cool down right to a press fit, and without any damage whatsoever to the carrier or bearings.

ChadEXer
05-22-2002, 01:04 PM
This is a very good tip!! The same thing goes for the bearings in the hubs too! they dont go bad as easy as the axle bearings but if they ever do or if you want to powdercoat your hubs this is exactly what i done and it works great!!

dhines
05-23-2002, 07:03 AM
That's exactly how I've always changed mine except I've just used a torch to heat up the carrier. I think the oven is a much better idea though. It would give you much more even heating and expansion. Thanks for the tip!

Dennis

beerock
05-23-2002, 07:07 AM
This is how I built my motor.

I heated the cases and dropped all the new beaings in the places.

couldnt be easier

Red Rooster
05-23-2002, 10:02 AM
VERY good post, Looks like its headed to the FAQ forum!