PDA

View Full Version : Looking for those Ohio riders

Kels300
05-22-2002, 06:39 AM
Post where you are from and let's see if we can all get together and ride somewhere.

02 Red Rider
05-22-2002, 07:24 AM
I live outside Toledo and ride WNF most of the season. We also travel to Hatfield/McCoy and a few other places.

Jason

Scott
05-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Marysville Ohio Area. Ride at the Wayne trails.

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 09:01 AM
We are located in Bowling Green, home of the famous Bowling Green State University and we ride WNF, Attica and mostly Haspin.

Scott
05-22-2002, 10:04 AM
BG is about an hour and a half from me. I'm between Marysville and Bellfountain. We've also got a place near Sydney that we go to a couple times a year. Private property, couple hundred acres. Fields, hills, mainly trails running along side a river with several water crossings. Maybe your crew could hook up with us at Sydney sometime. Typically 2 or 3 couples when we go. Warning: beer will probably be present around the campfire in the evenings.

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Scott- where is this place exactly? We are always looking for new places to ride. Could you tell me how to get there from BG?

Sure, we can meet up sometime. My boyfriend has a 440, his bro has a 400 and my bro has a 400.

Is there also a place to camp? Since you made the remark about BEER ;)

Scott
05-22-2002, 10:43 AM
The map says it's 94 miles south of you, right down I-75 from BGU. Yes there's a spot to camp along side a lake. All private property. It's nothing major, but it's enough to play for a day. Normally it's me and my wife and 2 other couples. Sometimes with kids, sometimes without. Just depends on the timing. The landowner unlocks the gates for us ahead of time and and most of the time he ends up showing up and staying too. Only thing he asks is that we pick up after ourselves and don't raise he!! in the middle of the night if he's there sleeping. Other than that, it's pretty laid back.

I have a '00 300ex, just sold my wife's '00 wolverine, the other quads are a '01 400ex, '00 wolverine, 97 foreman 400, polaris scrambler 500, and 3 polaris Sportsman 500s. Odds are, none of the Polaris owners will be there this year.

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Are there hills that you can climb? We like climbing hills. Just take I-75 to where? Sydney? Then where?

Are you planning any trips down there? If we would go, we would just go for the day. We are busy this weekend and next, but maybe the weekend after? We are headin' to WNF with a huge group on June 21-23.

Scott
05-22-2002, 10:54 AM
We're going to Wayne this weekend, Long Ridge. I'll talk to the land owner and see if there's a good weekend coming up that we can go. And I'll bounce it off my wife. We have a 6 month old, so this summer our riding is a lot more limited. Maybe we can aim for the weekend of June 8th.

There are a few hills. A couple that are very good at busting up quads. The ruts are deep enough that your rear skid will bottom out on your way up. Momentum is key and there's no where to get a run for it. Nothing too technical.

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Sounds good, just e-mail me ( jennw25@hotmail.com ) and let me know when we can all meet up.

Kels300
05-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Ok- now that you two are hooking up to ride, the rest of you are too far from me. I am in Northeastern OH. What is WNF that you guys are talkin' about?

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 12:40 PM
WNF is Wayne National Forest. Great place to ride! It is located down by Nelsonville, Ohio. Not to promote the following website, but you can check out www.atvtime.com in the Eastern rides section.

400ex Magnum
05-22-2002, 12:43 PM
Kels

WNF stands for Wayne National Forest. The riding area most people are referring to is the Athens riding area near Nelsonville, OH (South east of Columbus). WNF offers about 70 mile of trails at the Athens area. The trails range from fast trails to tight, technical trails. Some hill climbs and some mud thrown in just for fun. I love riding there. I think it is awesome. Do some searches in here under WNF or Wayne and find more information. Also check out there website at :

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/

If you go, I strongly recommend that you hook up with someone that rides there often to show you around. You will not be disappointed.

Edit : Sorry Jenny, I repeated some of what you said. Also, check out my pic for Wayne Images. See if you can find Jenny.

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey Jimbo, what's this try and find waldo, I mean Jenny crap? j/k
I think you should just cut and paste all that you write on WNF and just paste it over and over.

Kels, feel free to join all of us on the June ride.

Scott
05-22-2002, 12:54 PM
ok I see someone on a Trailboss, but not on a 400...:huh

Jennys440'Dale
05-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Oh, I guess Jim should have straightened that out. His wife is named Jenny too. I am in the WNF-April section and August section. Hope this clears things up.

400ex Magnum
05-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Sorry about the confusion. My wifes name is Jenny also, but I was referring to the above Jenny. She is the one in the April folders sitting on the bridge with her boots off. That bridge was two feet under water last weekend.

Scott
05-22-2002, 01:24 PM
I grew up in New Straitsville. I'm pretty familiar with that area. I rode around that area for a lot of years before they put the Wayne trails in. Sometimes I wish I still lived in that area.

There was a controversy last year about a property line that runs right up to that concrete bridge at snake hollow. Guess they must have worked it out since then. The land owner had run a fence across blocking the parking lot side of the bridge.

We're going down this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. Only had the quad out once in '02. Can't wait until my boy is old enough to ride!

400ex Magnum
05-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Scott

That property owner used to have the area posted "no trespassing". Now it is not posted and people are camping there. Not sure if it is still private though. Running a fence across the trails is not a good way to make friends.

We were down at Wayne last weekend. They got a ton of rain Friday night. We actually had to drive through a foot of water on Dawley road on our way from Camp Ohio to the trails. The trails were not in bad shape, just very wet. Hope you have a good weekend. The trails will probably be very crowded. Ride safe.

Check out the Eastern US section at www.atvtime.com. We are having an atv ride and picnic on June 21-23 at Camp Ohio. Some real good people to ride with. I post as MagnumMudMan over there. Feel free to come on down. Another poster also has a little one and one of them has to stay at the Camp while the other rides.

Scott
05-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the invite. Ours is only 6 mos old, so he would be with either mom or Grandma while I'm in the woods.

We'll be going around to the back side, Long Ridge. A lot less people over there. Dorr Run will be a mad house. I doubt we even cross SR 278. We'll have a couple kids with us, so avoiding the crowds is the best idea.

Still have several friends that ride there a lot. They're all on 400's mainly. Varying degrees of "damn, he's fast!" They're all faster than I am. But until they start handing out money for being in the front, I'm not too worried about it.

As for the 21-23, I'd like to try to get to that. Maybe just me and a couple buddies on that one, no wife/kids. Don't take that the wrong way, my wife rides just fine and can keep up with no prob. But one of us has to stay home with Jr, and I'll have him the weekend before that while she's in Michigan at the race. Turnabout's fair play.

250exen
05-22-2002, 06:46 PM
KLSE, I LIVE IN NE OHIO. I USUALLY RIDE IN EITHER PA OR NEARBYE JUST OFF TRAINTRACKS.

Kels300
05-23-2002, 06:16 AM
250exen- How far away from Youngstown are you?

02 Red Rider
05-23-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Jennys400ex
We are located in Bowling Green, home of the famous Bowling Green State University and we ride WNF, Attica and mostly Haspin.

Jennys400ex,

Where abouts in BG do you live (area)? I live in Monclova. Do you guys ride anywhere down there near you?

Jason

Foxrage
05-23-2002, 08:07 AM
I live about 30 minutes away from wayne still havent been there. I want to go but im looking at a new widened 250r will it fit through the trails up there? You also need a sticker. I might be in all depends.

Scott
05-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Width is limited to 50" if I remember right. Check the website. You need the WNF sticker and also the OH sticker to ride at WNF. A one day pass for WNF is $5, the OH sticker is $7.50 but it's good for 3 years. A season pass for WNF is $25.

Jennys440'Dale
05-23-2002, 08:52 AM
If we get bored, we usually ride up on Airport Highway. There are some trails and lots of sand. Sometimes we go to Long Lake in Lima and we did ride in North Baltimore, until we got kicked out. Otherwise, there are no other areas around here to ride, except the crappy Maumee state forest

02 Red Rider
05-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Watch yourself out at T&I (Airport Hwy riding) I live about 4 miles from there and used to go all the time, but the Sheriff has come out the past couple of times and said they are starting to get complaints from some of the "new" neighbors (all of the new homes going up out there. Is your 400 Yellow?

Jason

02 Red Rider
05-24-2002, 07:38 AM
OK i'm dumb. I just went back and saw your sig. I think I may have seen you out at T & I before. A few months ago we were out there and we were all jumping the little sand bowl out there. Do you remember was that you?

Jennys440'Dale
05-24-2002, 07:44 AM
More than likely it was me. It seems I am the only girl on a yellow 400ex around this area. Not too many girls ride, that's why I have to ride with all the guys. The sand bowl is really the only thing you can jump. If I was there, I was with my parents, my boyfriend, his brother and my brother.

On the way back from the sand area (down by the quarry) I was headin' to one of the crossings and there happened to be a sheriff there. I turned real quick and went into the woods, so I thought they were going to start cracking down.

250exen
05-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kels300
250exen- How far away from Youngstown are you?

actually its only bout 45 minutes away.(never really pay attention so i dont know if its right).

kabd69667
05-27-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm from New Philadelphia, about 20 miles south of the canton area. If you guys wanna make a group ride somewhere close, i'd gladly come

Kels300
05-28-2002, 08:31 AM
You would still be too far from us. We are another hour south of Canton. That sucks.:grr

Foxrage
05-28-2002, 07:42 PM
When are we all going to wayne i want to do it before i start modding out my 400. Lets get a permaent date set. I will post every weekend im going but i want to try to get everyone to go so i have someone to ride with. Lets try to get somethin going l8er.

Honda99_300ex
06-04-2002, 01:25 PM
i ride in the circlevile area mostly but i also ride in the "big woods" have you guys ever heard of that? it is in the hockin hills area...it's free and there are at least 1,000 acres or more of trails and a couple of tracks...it's a nice place to ride.

Scott
06-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda99_300ex: Give me a better description of where you're riding. I have family in Circleville and normally drive on down to the Wayne trails. I'm always looking for new places to try.

Nacs400ex: Last thing I heard there was a definite date set for a Wayne ride, June 21-23. 400ex Magnum mentioned it to me. I'm planning to go down Sat morning with a friend of mine and trying to meet up with everyone at Camp Ohio.

So who else is going to be there?

400ex Magnum: I can't remember if i already asked you this, but where is Liberty Center? WOW!! The one I found on the map is NW of Bowling Green. You've got a longer drive than I do. You'll be going right by my place on your way to the Wayne trails if you take 33 into Columbus.

400ex Magnum
06-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Scott

Yes, Liberty Center is in Northwest Ohio. It is about 200 miles down to Wayne (well worth it though). I take 68 from Findlay to 31 in Kenton. 31 to 33 in Marysville. I sent you a PM on the ride on the 21-23. Ignore the part on this weekend. I was confused (happens often).

Scott
06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
When you run down 31 to 33 you're bypassing my place by about 10 miles. I'm 10 mins west of Marysville, a couple miles off of 33. Only about 110 miles to Wayne for me. (Never thought I'd say the word "only" in that sentence!)

06-04-2002, 02:20 PM
5 miles from wayne at my parents not the good part of wayne though.

Honda99_300ex
06-04-2002, 07:04 PM
scott: i have some family with land near stout rd.where do you ride in circleville? the big woods, as they call it, is a great place too. it is off of sr 56 in bloomingville,ohio...near ash cave and old mans cave.it's a great place...very fun...let me know if you want details.

Scott
06-05-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda99: I ride down at Wayne. I'd like to check out your spot on 56, I used to ride street bikes down through there.

06-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Has anybody who lives around the Canton area ever been to ellison Street riding park or Battlesburg MX? They're both right next to Malvern Raceway. Something there for everyone.....(a MX track, 3 mile Harescramble track, and ellison street has some decent hill climbs and trails to explore)

Jennys440'Dale
06-05-2002, 12:21 PM
Great to see you are able to make it to WNF June 22. There will be about 8 people from my group headin' down. Nick and I will be there Fri morning to help Magnum hold some spots for camping and my brother, his girlfriend, Nick's brother and his girlfriend should be there Friday night and Sat my parents should show up.

Scott
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
I'll be there, even if it's just me by myself.

I might have to pass on this Saturday (the 8th) at Long Ridge so that I can still do the 22nd at Camp Ohio. What's I'd like to do is park somewhere for free (like my mom's place or the Straitsville Trailhead) and then ride to Camp Ohio to meet up with all of you, instead of paying Camp Ohio and not staying the night.

400ex Magnum
06-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Scott

Camp Ohio usually doesn't make you pay just for parking there. I think he will be cool about is since we will be having so many paying customers that weekend.

Scott
06-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Didn't know that. That's even better. Thanks for the info!

LiLMissHondaEx
06-05-2002, 09:43 PM
I am in Cincinnati....anywhere close to any of the places you all are talking about?? We usually go up to Haspin....but are wanting to check out new places of course!

The "Big Woods" sounds neat, as well as WNF. Not sure what the weekend of the 22nd holds, but would like to be able to meet and ride with all of you. More info if possible would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott
06-06-2002, 06:33 AM
WNF is a good 3+ hrs from Cincy, just so you know.

Jennys440'Dale
06-06-2002, 06:47 AM
LiLMissHondaEx- we are headin' to Haspin this weekend, you plan on being there? I've read some of your posts and it sounds like you go there a lot.

LiLMissHondaEx
06-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Well there is the big Tyson/Lewis fight on Saturday night....having friends over, but I havent been riding in 3 weeks now so we will probably get up and go for the day on Sunday...as long as were not too hung over from the fight...LoL! Are you going for the whole weekend?? What time do you all plan on packing up on Sunday? We have a green Ford E-150 (conversion van) pulling the trailer with the red 300ex and 400ex. Look for us....I am sure since we are not camping we will probably be parked in a fairly obvious place. Hope to meet you!

Jennys440'Dale
06-07-2002, 05:35 AM
Looks like we will only be there on Saturday. I forgot we have some graduations to go to on Sunday. We travel to Haspin a lot, so maybe we can meet up some other time. I try not to stay the night there if at all possible because of all of the thefts. Sounds like a nice weekend!

LiLMissHondaEx
06-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Jenny-

Don't you just hate busy weekends interfering with your riding fun??? LoL!! I really do like to go there all weekend, and have never really had a problem with the thefts, except once.....my husband's wallet was stolen out of his truck. It was only him and one other friend there...they were out riding....and they didnt take our dog. We usually have many people with us, so normally theres always someone at camp, plus our big black chow wouldn't dare let anyone close to camp if we werent there. We get up there pretty much every chance we get. I am sure we can manage to meet up. You should consider camping....we always have a blast.

Well hope to catch you next time around!

400ex Magnum
06-07-2002, 10:59 AM
LilMis

Have you ever been to Wayne National Forest. We are having a big ride and picnic on June 21-23. You and your husband should come. Plenty of exriders will be there along with many others. Jenny and Nick from above are coming down. We always have a great ride and an even better time around the campfire. We are camping at Camp Ohio, thus no need to worry about any theft or problems. PM me or Jenny if you are interested and need details. You will not be disappointed if you come. I drive over 4 hours and it is worth every mile.

Scott
06-21-2002, 01:47 PM
In case you don't know from my other post, or if Jenny hasn't told you, I will be there tomorrow. Look at my reply on your post about the WNF ride 6/21-6/23 for the details.

See you tomorrow and I hope everybody has a safe trip down tonight. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

sportraxrider10
06-21-2002, 05:22 PM
i live like 30 minutes ne of youngstown

Scott
06-24-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks to Jenny, Nick, and the rest of their group for letting me tag with them Saturday. Had a good ride. Looks like we covered about 50 miles in about 2.5 to 3 hours of riding. I hope we get a chance to do it again. And if so, then next time I'll be camping.

I also was reminded Sunday that I don't ride often enough anymore, based on the aching muscles that is.

I definitely plan to check out the trail that dropped down in the bottom that we turned around and climbed back up out of. (No one other than maybe Jenny got to see me fall off my quad while it was stopped at the bottom of that hill. And if she saw me, she was nice enough not to point it out.:D) I did some asking and was told that it loops back down to the concrete bridge.

Also got to meet Jim, heck of a nice guy. Hope the rattle clip stayed put. Maybe next time we'll get a chance to ride in the same group.

Thanks everyone, I had a good time.

Jennys440'Dale
06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
You need to check out atvtime.com for all other replies on this weekend. Come on over and join us!

No, I did not see you fall on that hill. That one was pretty tricky and I was a little scared at first. I wondered what happened though.

Nick and I will have to try and make it down your way to go riding. Hopefully by then I will have the 400 fixed. Sorry if I smoked you out. Nick's 440 is also going into the shop to be fixed.

07-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Cleveland Ohio....and no place close to ride, any suggestions? :D

07-09-2002, 07:40 PM
move!