PDA

View Full Version : case saver mounts cracked

steveatv3
05-25-2005, 07:17 AM
I ordered a hellbound case saver about 3months ago and tried to put it on just now and i took the stock case saver and guard off and the threads ware the stock bolts went through into the case just shattered. I think the guy before me had the chain pop off.

Well now i am running it without a case saver, witch i know isnt a good idea. The other halfs of the mounts on the case are still there , is it possible for me to JB weld it or somthing so i can get my new case saver on?

ThumPIN_450R
05-25-2005, 09:19 AM
just get longer bolts and use the threads that are inside the case mine did that too and that's what I did until my tranny went and broke the cases now I have new cases;)

Thump_It
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Yup, what he said. There are threads further in there than what the stock bolts reach. When my cases broke like yours, I put the case saver on then JB welded the half of the case where it had broke. It's worked well ever since.

05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
guys, i really don't get how a case saver "saves" your case. all it does is cause your case to be busted at the "case saver" mounting points.

to me, they should be called case busters.

Thump_It
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Well think about it, if you had no case saver, your chain would pretty much rip a hole through your main case, cause big hole and oil to leak, making your bike unrideable. If the case mounts break a little, bike still runs fine, get new case saver, adjust chain and all is well.

ms250r
05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I had a Baldwin case saver on and I did the same thing, broke the mounting holes on my case. And i was talkin to a buddy of mine and he was practicing with Tim Farr last fall (we only live about 35mins away from tim farr), and my buddies chain came off 3 times and tim told him to take the case saver off. He said the case saver just brakes your case anyways. He told my buddy to go over and look at his bike and Tim dont even run a case saver on his practice bikes. He said on these 450r u have to keep the chain extra tight.

shamisc
05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I don't understand why you guys keep throwing chains. I always check the tension on mine before every ride and have never had a problem. I had my EX for over 5 years and NEVER threw a chain! :eek2:

2MuchChi450R
05-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by steveatv3
I ordered a hellbound case saver about 3months ago and tried to put it on just now and i took the stock case saver and guard off and the threads ware the stock bolts went through into the case just shattered. I think the guy before me had the chain pop off.

Well now i am running it without a case saver, witch i know isnt a good idea. The other halfs of the mounts on the case are still there , is it possible for me to JB weld it or somthing so i can get my new case saver on?

I still haven't recieved my Hellbound case saver and I ordered it in March :rolleyes: Why not just order a new case? It's only $87.25, personally I'd rather spend the money to fix it than to keep staring at a broken case cover.

CdaleXtreme
05-26-2005, 08:13 AM
A chain guide, and a quality O-ring Chain will put your chain problems to an end. Replace your chain and NEW SPROCKETS, half way through each season and you will never have a chain problem again.

Just because you chain rotates around your sprockets and gets you down the trail doesnt mean it is in good working order.

The DID X-Ring are the best chains I have ever used. :D

ohh yeah use steel sprockets too!

05-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ms250r
I had a Baldwin case saver on and I did the same thing, broke the mounting holes on my case. And i was talkin to a buddy of mine and he was practicing with Tim Farr last fall (we only live about 35mins away from tim farr), and my buddies chain came off 3 times and tim told him to take the case saver off. He said the case saver just brakes your case anyways. He told my buddy to go over and look at his bike and Tim dont even run a case saver on his practice bikes. He said on these 450r u have to keep the chain extra tight.

dude, finally someone agrees with me!!! Think about it.........when the chain is thrown off the rear sproket (during riding) the case saver causes the chain to "wad" up. Thus, ripping the case saver and mounting bolts out of your case. And, damaging your case in the process!!!!

On my 250R, I had a case saver. The case saver got ripped off due to throwing a chain in the woods. The two tapped mounting holes were completely busted out. With no mounting holes left, I continued to ride my quad without a case saver. From then on, throwing a chain was no big deal. The chain had nothing to get "wadded" up on.

I can see where the chain could possibly "wad" up against the case (when running without a saver). And, I guess that's why they make them. But, the reality is, you'll only use a saver once or twice. After that, you're mounting holes will be ruined and you will be unable to use one.

05-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
I don't understand why you guys keep throwing chains. I always check the tension on mine before every ride and have never had a problem. I had my EX for over 5 years and NEVER threw a chain! :eek2:

you just jinxed yourself!!

anyway, all it takes is a stick to be thrown into the right location, and BOOM!!!!!
you're chain is off!!! Doesn't matter how tight you have it.

You must have had one of those "smart" EX's with the computer chip that told the tires to throw sticks and rocks away from the rear sprocket.