PDA

View Full Version : Changin the steering stem

05-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Anyone who has changed the steering stem out on their 300ex...how easy is it? and do i need special tools? thks

ranger400ex
05-22-2002, 09:29 AM
Take off the front plastic. Flip quad on its tail underneath is a nust and cotter undo these. put down on all fours. mid way up stem is a bushing clamp with two bolts remove(check out how dry and scratched the stem is) remove the two tie rods by turning one way loosing one and then turn the other way loosen. Remove handlebar clamps from stem and the tug up on stem. Should slide right out of the bottom bearing(The one in the frame that had the nut and cotter key behind it) Repeat in reverse to install. Be sure to put plenty of grease on the stem and bushing to help make turning easier, and maybe change the bearing at the bottom if it is trashed. Let me know if this is not clear enough, and I'll send you clips from the service manual<-- Get one of these ASAP.

Good luck

BMW

05-22-2002, 11:56 PM
cool thats perfect directions..i bent my plate where the handle bar clamps bolt onto on the steerin stem..i need to take out the stem and pound it straight with a hammer...thks again bro