PDA

View Full Version : utility quad

stew6371
05-24-2005, 10:58 PM
my wife wants a yamaha bruin 350. she has never ridin before.
anyone one have any info bout these quads. we ride sand and there are a few trials but not like in the woods? thanks for replies

blaster_rider68
05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
go to google and do some research about them

BLAZE1
05-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I ride a z400, but my Mom & step-dad have two bruins (4wd).
Havn't taken em to sand yet, we ride mostly trails/woods.

Pros:

Cheap, easy to ride for a beginner, have not had one problem yet mechanically and they are 04's have had them over a year(pretty good for a yamaha), electric fan for when it gets hot, handles good for a utility, decent size fuel tank, decent power for a auto350.

Cons:

Belt drive sucks- no wheelies(trust me i've tried), no clutch=no control, no 4 lo/hi, automatic350, plastic scratches kind of easy

These quads can take a beating to. I drove one off a cliff and it rolled three or four times before coming to rest pinning me between the quad and a tree about fourty yards below. The only damage to the quad was a tweaked utility rack and a bent upper aarm (impact with tree) It was actually still idling when I got up. Flipped it over and walked it out (in 4wd) of a 70-80 degree incline. I thought we would need a winch to get the quad out but I just walked along side it and gave it gas and it climbed right up out of there.

sorry for such a long post but I never see any thing on the bruins and I wonder why because they are cheap and they are decent utility quads.

Butters
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
it looks like a good quad to me. its automatic so it would be fairly simple for her to ride. its a 350 so she wouldn't really have to worry about getting stuck. i would say it would be a good choice.

400exrules
05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
just get a poopolaris sportsman 500 4x4 auto.

or a rancher

blaster_rider68
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
yes i vote rancher

2001400exrider
05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
getta rancher;) that was my first quad and i learned alot from riding it.

HONDA, BEST ON EARTH:devil:

YFZ450Ridr
05-25-2005, 07:27 PM
personally, if i were you i would get her a 250ex. it is ALOT lighter and would be easier for her to handle. goes just as fast as the rancher and bruin but in a smaller, lighter, more agile package.

TheFontMaster
05-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Yea if most of her riding will be in sand I would say you don't need a utility. If she can handle a clutch I would sugest a 300ex, or a mohave (sp) If your in sand you don't need to wory about getting stuck, so a 4x4 would be reletively useless, and they loose lots of power in sand. The rancher 350's they can climb I have sand pits around here and one of my friends rides a rancher 350, but they don't like to go up some hills very well. The bruin has a little more power, but I don't think it would be much of a difference.

stew6371
05-27-2005, 04:26 AM
thanks for all the input. if it was up to me i would get her a 300ex. but she doesnt like them. we went shopping and she felt the most comfortable on the bruin. she likes the way the utilities look better than the sport quads. what can i say. any more suggestions or info will be appreciated. thanks

TheFontMaster
05-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Has she ridden a utility and a sport quad in the sand before? Mabey once she sees how much less power is utilitys have in the sand she will want a sport, or not just a sugestion.

stew6371
05-27-2005, 11:45 PM
no she has never ridin before. i dont expect her to do much hill climbing. just cruise around and ride the trails. personally she doesnt care about power or speed YET

bulkdriverlp
05-28-2005, 07:47 AM
honda rancher dont have irs. honda is very good quality but way behind the times. get a polaris sportsman series, or ac, both have irs

FourFiftyFour
05-28-2005, 10:38 AM
get a rancher, IRS isnt necessarily the best thing for utility quads, its so squatty and makes the four wheeler squirrely at times, so the rear axle is something a good thing for beginners. I have beat some ranchers up, they can take some abuse, I have jumped them off of huge steep hills, ramps, and dogged the hell out of the motor and it runs strong. Only thing with the rancher is make sure you seal off near the pullstart or you will get water in the motor, and check the seals often bc they will go out.