PDA

View Full Version : piston over

PowerJunkie
05-24-2005, 10:45 PM
why on pistons you can buy like 3.00mm over or 2.00mm over?
do you have to bore it? thanks for all the help on my on going research.

duke416ex
05-25-2005, 06:55 AM
You buy oversized pistons for 2 reasons imo, 1 to get more power from an overbore and also if you get a higher compression piston than the stock piston. 2. After a while even with maintenence, a stock piston will cause wear on the sleeve and rings. You get a bigger piston so that the cylinder can be bored to remove any scaring or wear. And yes if you get an oversized piston the cylinder will have to be bored.

400exrider707
05-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
You buy oversized pistons for 2 reasons imo, 1 to get more power from an overbore and also if you get a higher compression piston than the stock piston. 2. After a while even with maintenence, a stock piston will cause wear on the sleeve and rings. You get a bigger piston so that the cylinder can be bored to remove any scaring or wear. And yes if you get an oversized piston the cylinder will have to be bored.

Well you can also get high compression pistons for stock bore size as well, so thats not really a reason for it. But other than that I agree with you.

duke416ex
05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Yea but I just meant for ppl who wanted to get more cc along with the higher compression. Usually when I get ready to get a higher compression piston it is time for an overbore.