PDA

View Full Version : Dura Blue Eliminator Vs LS Axcalibar

Pepto_Bismol
05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I am going to purchase an axle to go with my A-Arms.

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on either of the two I listed in the subject of this thread.

Thanks!

Pepto:cool:

PS, anyone using the stock berrings, carrier and or lock nut with these axles?

redrider05
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
i have the durablue eliminator in mine...when i got it they said they redesigned there axles because of earlier models failing...so far so good...i have both stock bearing n stock locknut on mine works fine

05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
durablues lifetime warrenty isnt exactly lifetime...they replace it 1 time...the next 1 is on u...id go with LS either that or go with the new G-Force axles, those are very good and very cheap :macho

xander1027
05-24-2005, 08:44 PM
get an RPM axle

05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by xander1027
get an RPM axle

ya if u got the money RPM is the best

kbass24emtp
05-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I would pay a little more now, than alot later. I would get RPM.

easman31
05-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Go with a Lone Star

Thump_It
05-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Lonestar has a good warranty, and they redesigned their axles a while back, they are stronger than ever. Good product. I've had a few friends break their Durablue Axles (Durabreak)........and they weren't even riding hard, the axle just sheered in half. I'd go with Lonestar, call JH Racing, he has great prices.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I would go with the Lonestar before the durablue.. as stated durable's warranty is they replace it once and the next time you pay for half. Lonestar has a better warranty..

2000ex
05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
RPM ;)

450RGNCC
05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a Lonestar axle on mine right now and it works fine, and I havent bent it yet, but it came with the bike. If I ever buy another axle it will definitely be an RPM. Chris borich is sponsored by Lonestar, but believe me he uses an RPM. They're unbreakable.

blakefoote
05-25-2005, 11:10 AM
I would stick the LSR axle it is the best for the price.

desratt
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I have been racing pro on burablue for 4 years now and never bent or broke one. I have broken hubs however.
they make 2 types of hubs for the x-33 axle. the billet ones are 100x stronger then the fiber reinforced. I have never broke a billet one and yes the hubs have been redesigned. I haven't broke one since.

the x-33 is the lightest and strongest and best there is.

Pepto_Bismol
05-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Basically, I did a lot more research, and here is what I found:

First, I hope everyone knows this, but NO axle, I mean not one, is unbreakable. Every axle has a breaking point.

This is where the warranty comes in. Yes, durablue will replace one axle free, no questions asked, but their policy is somewhat grey after that.

BUT, up until February of this year, PRM did not have a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty UNLESS you purchased it. Now, the lifetime warranty comes included in the price. And it is not just a little bit more in price but the dominator II for the 450R is in excess of more than $600 bones.

Lonestar claimes a lifetime warranty, but I have not been able to confirm nor make any claim otherwise. But the best list price I can find for their newest version of axle for the 450r is 369.00. Which is not too bad.

However, I noticed that out of all the responses, I see only 4 people who either have an LSR, or durablue (2 each). And neither have anything bad to say about the product they own, nor do they claim they bought one and switched to another due to defects.

I used to own a 400ex, of which I have crashed very hard a couple of times, and used to do extensive (and large) jumps. I had modded suspension, but only a stock axle. It never bent.

My theory is that any top of the line axle from the three manufacturers listed above are going to be much stronger than the stock 450r. And for the price of 280.00, I can get the newest version of the eliminator. If it should break, at least I get one more free of charge, so it's like getting two for one.

And the main reason I am looking at savings, is that I just spent $4000.00 on suspension parts, and I am flat out of extra money for now. So even though I could see RPM in my future, I think the eliminator will at least tide me over until I can build up some of my cash reserves again.

Once again, thanks for the responses!

450Rcarbonpro
05-25-2005, 03:02 PM
desratt is correct. The axle saves you aproximately 5 to 7 lbs weight that is rotating mass. That is a huge difference out of the hole. They are super strong as well. That axle is made with the highest grade material of any axle in the industry.

450Rcarbonpro
05-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Also the x-33 comes with hubs for only about 450. Best deal for the best performance.

450Rcarbonpro
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Ronnies has the best price I could find.

trost66
05-25-2005, 09:31 PM
I race mx and I had a durablue axle. I broke on and sent it in and they gave me a new on and about 4 or 5 rides this one is bent. If I had to do it over I would have went with rpm not the durasnap.

05-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I have an axcaliber in mine....

It's a super strong axle, nice and beefy good fit and finish, BUT IT'S NOT WIDE ENOUGH!!!! It's only +3, why would lonestar do that. I don't think it even makes 50"

CdaleXtreme
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah I have a lonestar, and Have had zero problems except for the fact that it is about an inch or two too narrow!

Dont even think about G-force, I have seen local riders who barely jump, snap these things like a twig.

TC426EX
05-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 450Rcarbonpro
Also the x-33 comes with hubs for only about 450. Best deal for the best performance.

That X-33 and all duablues are a joke. Go with the Lonestar and be done with it... The X-33 is a gimmick and the holes that the pins go through in the axle for their supposed "quick adjust" oval out, at which point its not covered, and the eliminators break. I would rather get a G-Force than a Durablue....

86atc250r
05-26-2005, 11:45 AM
TC426 is right.

Here's some observations and opinions from someone who's owned:

Nasa Superaxles (don't ask if you don't know)
CT Racing Axles
Durablue (Eliminator and X33)
Lonestar
RPM

First and to the point - for the money, quality, and warranty - go with LS

Durablue - Suck. I've seen more break than I care to count, and breaking under conditions that should not break them. Once and you'll get a new one, after that, you're paying for it yourself.

Durablue X33 - I can not recommend staying away from this axle enough. The weight savings they claim is not there. The "pin drive" adjustable setup absolutely sucks to adjust. The "pin drive" setup will loosen, oval, and eventually break the pins, leaving you short a tire & calling them to buy replacements (no need to mention the premature end to your riding day or weekend), and they still break like Eliminators.

Lonestar - A very nice axle, good warranty, decent price.

RPM- a good axle, but over priced and overhyped (many times by people who've never owned one - or have only owned this brand). From what I can see, the LS seems to be more heavily made. I haven't had to use it, but from what I've heard, the warranty isn't quite as good as LS.

Yeah I have a lonestar, and Have had zero problems except for the fact that it is about an inch or two too narrow!

What wheels are you running? With 8" Douglas 5/3's & Turf Tamers mine rolls in at just below 49.5"

wilkin250r
05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I noticed the first post mentions the stock locknut. Although it can be used, many many many people have problems with them. They seem to be a constant, recurring problem of coming loose and needing attention.

Get an aftermarket locknut. The pinchbolt variety work very well for the price, usually less than $40

CdaleXtreme
05-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
TC426 is right.

What wheels are you running? With 8" Douglas 5/3's & Turf Tamers mine rolls in at just below 49.5"

I am running Hiper 8x8 I have heard of other people having this problem before too. But with MXR4's I am rolling at 48 :ermm:

Pepto_Bismol
05-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, although I said I was leaning to buy the DuraBlue eliminator for lack of funds, I decided to scrape up a couple of extra bucks to get the Lone star Axcaliber.

Just an FYI, for those of you thinking about purchasing the New Axcaliber for the 450R, I spoke directly with Lonestar and they claim they are mandating to all thier distributers to have a set price of $410 for all (to aleviate price gouging and price wars). SO if you can find a cheap one now, buy it. ( Yes, I did pay $410, but only because I bought a bunch of other crap from the same dealer, including the original durablue axle, so I returned it to the vendor for exchange, and didn't feel like getting one item from another vendor).

Besides, if anything ever happened, Lone star is only 30 miles from my house, so I don't ever have to ship it for an exchange.

Thanks all! This time, all of the breakage stories (yours and others on many other websites), and the fact that Lonestar is local for me, swayed my decision...not an easy thing to do.

roostin_dale
05-27-2005, 08:47 PM
i didnt ready any of the post but here is what i have to say.

Dont waist money on Durablue...ive been racing for awhile and been to alot of nationals and seen alot of durablues break and ive heard bad about their warranties. I would never put one on my quad..

I personally run an RPM, but on all my past quads i've had a Lonestar...

suda55us
05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
do not get a dura blue axle unless you plan on having your axle broken and shipping it back and forth to the manufacturer. been there done it, twice, so have many others.

450Racer
05-29-2005, 03:56 PM
i have a Lonestar Axcalibur for sale. it is NOT bent or ever prorotated. i ran it last year in C class and never cased a jump. i paid a little over $400 for it, but i'd sell it to you for $280. btw, my friend had an eliminator on his and he cased a fair size jump (about 50') and it snapped. they did send him a new one after he sent his back but i'd much rather have a stronger axle than risk getting hurt, screwing other stuff up like the rotor by hitting the ground. let me know if you're interested. if not, i'm putting it on ebay in a few days.

deathman53
05-30-2005, 03:32 PM
know anything about nasa super axles? I have one for a 84 250r that I'm gonna put in my 86 200x,along with the other 84r rear end parts.

shamisc
05-31-2005, 01:38 AM
If money is the issue, get the G-Force. I know two guys that use these axles in MX and TT with no issues!! I personally have a RPM. I don't know where the $600 price tag came from, but mine was only $369!:eek2: You just need to check around for prices. I've also had a LSR and the POS wouldn't even fit! They made a whole batch of them that had the ring groove 1 1/4" to far to the inside. I sent it back and they sent me another one that was the same way!:mad: They're QA dept SUCKS!! My buddy bought a carrier from them that didn't fit his bike, they sent the wrong one! Needless to say, LSR WILL NEVER GET ANYMORE OF MY MONEY!!!