PDA

View Full Version : getting alittle confused

ny300exrider
05-24-2005, 07:21 PM
hey guys maybe you can help me out here. im 15 and have an 05 450r that im currently paying off. i was planning on traveling to tracks and doing small races but i dont have a way of transportation when i need and im almost losing interest in big tracks and races. my main sport is bmx and im just more into it than quads. out here on long island the riding is close to none track/race wise and the police are very strict on riding. luckily me and a freind ride at a farm right down the road where we made trails but theres no jumps and im not going to just dig up the farmers land. now heres the part that im beginining to think about. The payments of the quad are really starting to eat me up especially with school making it hard to work at all. I feel like i have a quad that i dont really need and im shelling out every bit of money i make to pay for it.i hate to be even thinking of selling the new quad but its reality and i just cant do it especially with driving coming up in a few years. The only place i ever really use the 450 to its potential is on straight aways and they dont even matter to me. my friend who got his 05 R a month after mine is thinking the same thoughts. my dad has my old 400ex and keeps up fine with us when we ride the trails so i was possibly thinking about downgrading to a nice 400 to just play with. another option would be maybe a 125 dirtbike to try something new. we both ride our freinds and like it but im still undecided. i know its hard for you guys to help make my own decisions but have you ever heard of someone downgrading to something less expensive? Do any of you guys have 125s? how are they for just open feilds and open trails. id look into 4 strokes but i cant deal with all of the valve maintence and the big price.what do you think i could do in a trade for a nice close to stock 400 cash wise. heres the quad i would take off some of the aftermarket stuff but overall its a beauty. sorry for the long post but im quite the confused person right now

400exrules
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
i hear 125's do pretty good in the trails, i think you would prob like it since your more in to 2 wheels anyways. Or you could easily find a nice 400 for cheap. You might want to ride a 125 before u go and buy one tho

05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
looks like you rushed into buying your 450. once you sell it it's gone though and no turning back. good luck

ny300exrider
05-24-2005, 07:37 PM
yea i think im gonna test out a 125 to see how i like it. im a 2 wheel person so i might feel comfortable on it, either that or a nice 400ex like i had before.

mixmaster- your actually kind of right, i got the 450 wayyy before i thought i would. my dad not really pushed me into it, but got me all excited into getting it before i could really think things and of course i went with him. i wasnt expecting him to let me get it so when he said i could, i took the chance. it was different when i had plans on racing and traveling but thats not going to happen now so its really unneeded to have such an expensive quad.

ok i have a question-does anyone knowan estimate of how much of a loss i would take by trading the 450 into the dealer. i got it in january and i would put it back to stock. with the money made i could pay off my dad and get something to play around on.

05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
on a trade-in, Kelleys Blue Book says the dealer will give you about $4,000 or so (you are getting SCREWED there).

If you tried to sell it youself you should ask for about $5,000.

Have you talked to you dad about helping you pay for it since he probably has the loan from honda in his name. Tell him you would work and help him out and stuff. Kinda weird he talked you into buying it but won't help you out with it. When I told my dad I wanted a new one he got uber pissed because he says the best vehicle is the one you dont owe money on Whichwas my old 400ex but I told him I outgrew it and the engine was about to blow so we sold it and he cosigned a loan for me unwillingly and I have been on my own with it but I'm going to have it paid off in the next 2 weeks and have the title in my name. :) run-on sentence=bad practice :mad:

ny300exrider
05-24-2005, 07:56 PM
my dad is by no means not helping, he bought the thing and im repaying him for it. i owe around 3 grand to him and its really hard to scrape up money to give him when im concentrating on school. the deal was i would work for him and half of every days pay would go into the quad but thats just not going to be enough. if i could sell it and just give him what i owe, and use the rest to get something i wouldnt mind it. having dept in my teenage years is something i dont really want and i have quite abit of it right now haha. he didnt "force" me into buyign it but he allowed me to get it without the usual arguing about always wanting new parts(hehe).

are 05 450s really going for only 5g? 04 400exs are still going for 4 in my local newspaper. long island is expensive for everything so i might be able to get alittle more out of it.

i got once again another question.-what is an estimate price range that used 2000? and up stock 125s going for.
THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR

Myrtle150
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
you could get a 125 thats a couple years old for $2000-2100...that how much they go for around here anyways. Just remember, those bikes usually get ragged out 3 times as fast as quads..so buy the newest used one you can

MotoX3
05-24-2005, 08:41 PM
my 125 is alright for trails...theyre great if you change the flywheel and get it jetted spot on....

ny300exrider
05-25-2005, 04:50 AM
does anyone know the process of selling a quad thats being financed. this is the first financed thing ive had so im not too sure on the best way to even think about doing this. i talked to my dad and before i could even explain he pretty much got pissssed for no reason so im just going to have to find out the info myself if i still want to go through with it

bansheeguy77
05-25-2005, 04:57 AM
yeah i was in your situation at 15 too. i will tell ya this, you will be making a wise decision getting out of debt. your still a kid dont "grow up" sooner than you have to. you are definately going to lose your *** on a trade in tho. best bet would be sell it outright or ebay it with a reserve of 5500.

how i did it was, the dude paid me the balance that wasnt financed, he wrote the rest to honda i think....we got a bill of sale notorized and away he went with the quad.