PDA

View Full Version : 440 experts out there?

koschak
05-24-2005, 05:42 PM
On my stock 400ex i just installed a 11:1 440 kit with a stage 2 hotcam running 98 octane. I am running the stock jet-is this wrong......what should i change differently on my carb? Also its not acting like a four stroke anymore i have to be in exactly the right gear cuz if i'm too high it really chugs kind of like its not getting enough gas or air. My budget is tight and I'm asking for advise on what to get next to help this thing go. I already have cut plastic, nac's graphic kit, seat cover, number plates all kick ***, lonestar swing arm and axle with carrier and hubs, and ac pro pegs. any advise would be appreciated. :confused:

eganracing
05-24-2005, 06:13 PM
the stock carb needs to be rejetted. If you realy want to win you should get a larger carb.

koschak
05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
What do you think the stock jetting should be changed to from the stock 148 main jet size? Is that all i should change is the main jet?

eganracing
05-24-2005, 10:52 PM
i honestly dont know because i never rejeted my stock carb to run with the 440. The only thing i know is that the main jet was 170. I think.

prepracing
05-24-2005, 11:27 PM
assuming that you did some headwork to go along with the 440kit it depends on what pipe and airfilter your running for the jet size. But usually somewhere between 165 and 170 jet size will do it. By a few jets and try them then you will have your answer.

koschak
05-27-2005, 06:56 AM
no head work was done and I am still running stock pipe and filter. i started out with the motor and am building up from that

Colby@C&DRacing
05-27-2005, 09:17 AM
You are going to have a hard time getting the jetting right witht he stock exhaust. It is to restrictive for the 440 piston and cam..

bwamos
05-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Very much agree.

You'll need a header (? not sure on the 400's, someone will verify) and slip-on (hmf) + K&N or Uni at the very least if you want the thing to run right.

Grab a used pipe off of e-bay if your worried about cash. Crapload of parted out 400ex parts on e-bay. ;)

koschak
05-29-2005, 09:39 AM
thanks guys for the help. intake and exhaust are coming next. cant wait to get it jetted up and running perfect. it goes pretty good already.

Ginxd00
05-29-2005, 10:42 AM
I just swapped out my full Big Gun exhaust to try my buddies new White Brothers E2 silencer. I used the stock head pipe which I modded by cleaning up the welds on the inside. Seat of the pants is telling me a bit of bottom up to the mid increase with little to no top end diffrence. I had to change the jetting just a bit to compensate for the exhaust. I think the stock head pipe is a good design and any aftermarket silencer should get you started in the right direction, just my opinion.