PDA

View Full Version : jumping trouble

RobbRacer
05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
not sure if this is the correct place to post this but anyways when i take a jump no matter how big 15ft to 85ft i always seem to hit my face into my handlebars. i cant seem to figure out what the deal is. its not like i am a small guy eather and cant hold myself up. but that is what it seems like. just maybe thought that someone on here could give me some ideas to help me out. this **** hurts after a while.

thanks for any advice

duke416ex
05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Are you running stock suspension, sounds like you need an upgrade to me.

RobbRacer
05-24-2005, 04:27 PM
no i have triple rate tcs fronts and dual rate tcs in the back

WhiteZee
05-24-2005, 05:57 PM
your riding position must be way off. also, you want to land with your front wheels first and on the gas.

RobbRacer
05-24-2005, 06:20 PM
i thought that you were susposed(sp) to land with your back tires first?

trx416m
05-24-2005, 07:05 PM
if u have a landing u wont land as hard and u dont really want to land front or rear tires first usually. try to land almost flat with the landing and if u are goin to case it then land front tires first to roll down the landing a lil and not case with the rear. hopefully this helps

RobbRacer
05-24-2005, 07:45 PM
ok i guess i should of mentioned that i know how to properly land my quad. i was wondering if i need to lean back more in the air or what, this has just started being a problem for me. when i had my 250r i didnt have this problem. just want to know how yall are standing when you take off, are in the air, and when you land. maybe this will help me if you can tell me this.

thanks

WhiteZee
05-24-2005, 07:53 PM
look at the race coverage section for riding technique tips.

duke416ex
05-25-2005, 07:27 AM
It is just something that takes practice, go to the other section and read what they say. I tend to shift my weight back on take off and then come more towards center in the air. Once you get over the nervousness of being in the air and can think about what you are doing, you will be able to move your quad around a little by shifting your weight. That will help you land. Sounds dumb, but you can also control your quad with the throttle in the air, hit the rear brakes and it will nose down, jam the throttle and the nose will come up, not much but it will help a little.

TC426EX
05-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Are you coming down nose first alot? I had to make the adjustment from 2 to 4 stroke when I got rid of my 250R. With the 2 stroke, you can just gas it up off the jump and not really worry about the throttle until you land. On a 4 stroke you almost have to stay on the gas in the air to a certain degree to keep level. If youre gassing it up to the jump and then letting the throttle drop off in the air that could be the problem, or maybe not.

bryan.young1
05-27-2005, 07:26 AM
im new to the sport trying to work up to bigger air, and im having the same trouble. its kind of random, somtimes i come off just right sometimes nose down sometimes nose up and i think its a mixture of both the throttle usage and body position. my buddy who use to race a 250X and 250R back in the day told me that its always a bit random and that you can never expect to come off the ramp/jump the same twice. i have been experaminting a little, and it seems to work for me to keep my weight shifted back up the jump and to keep the throttle consistant. but it just when i think im getting it i come off all wrong and scare the *HIT out of my self. then its back to squar one.

i dont think theres any perfect way except for no fear of death

bryan

JUSTINcredible
05-27-2005, 03:14 PM
try and set the quad down instead of letting it slam into the ground.

redrider9045
05-29-2005, 10:08 AM
you want to land back wheels first not front. why would you land front first i only land front first if i like clear a triple or double i can land on the downslope.

WhiteZee
05-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by redrider9045
you want to land back wheels first not front. why would you land front first i only land front first if i like clear a triple or double i can land on the downslope.
if you land back wheels first, your front will slam down real hard. when you land front first, you need to be on the gas when your rear lands, and this helps you land much for smoothly.

brian250racer
05-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I can go out and land back tires first, and my front does't come "slamming" down. Same goes for the back. It all depends on the jump. You need to be on the gas before your tires hit, or else it will seem like it is bottoming out all the time. Also check the compression settings on the front shocks and see if it might be set to stiff.

Christoph
05-29-2005, 02:45 PM
this is how i jump, leanin back and tryin to sit up instead of leanin over the bars.

CannondaleRider
05-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by RobbRacer
not sure if this is the correct place to post this but anyways when i take a jump no matter how big 15ft to 85ft i always seem to hit my face into my handlebars. i cant seem to figure out what the deal is. its not like i am a small guy eather and cant hold myself up. but that is what it seems like. just maybe thought that someone on here could give me some ideas to help me out. this **** hurts after a while.

thanks for any advice

Are you hard on the gas when you land, or do you land at "idle"

RobbRacer
05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
thanks for the advice i am going to practice tonight i think that my problem is that i am not on the gas enough when i land and i am to relaxed so well see what happens tonight

bryan.young1
05-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Staying on the gas all the way through the jump is getting me almost perfect results. if i dump the throttle rite after take off then the g of the motor pulls the front end down quick like and in a hurry. keeping it floored or close from take off to landing is keeping me pretty constant.

Christoph
05-31-2005, 06:17 PM
also what i do, is hit the jump about 3/4 the speed i wanna do it, let off the gas just before the jump then punch the throttle, that way itll keep ur front end up and it gives u a little more bounce off the jump

bryan.young1
05-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Ill try that next time.
thanks

New Kid
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
ok screw what they say ok what u want to do is come in to the jump how u usaly do but stay kinda in the center of your quad then while your in the air pull back a little not to much or it will hurt like hell when u land lets say u are doing a jump or whatever and u know your going to clear it perfict and its going to be smooth well tap your back brakes so your rear wheels come up that will drop your quad and then u should land smother and if u still dont well try to land on the back tires fist NOT THE FRONT that is a big mistake just try to land it level and if not then land on the back but not to far youl find out when its to fare belive me good luck and hey check this site and look at my pics youl see how i do it http://www.thorntonfamilyinwi.com/tko_racing/ go to tlyers page thats me or go to my budys page kyle and let me know how u do ok

chaz#32
06-13-2005, 10:22 PM
i don't know about you guyz but i try and land all 4 tires flat. i haven't had no problems smashing my face. unless i nose dive.
don't know if it helps but i thought i would tell you.

Quiksilver01
06-14-2005, 08:42 AM
i land rear tires first but my fronts only slightly off the ground like a couple inches i havent slammed my face into the handle bars yet.