PDA

View Full Version : removing the aibox lid

redexrider4290
05-24-2005, 09:12 AM
is removeing the airbox lid the same as putting a high flow air filter in :confused:

red2004 TRX450R
05-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
is removeing the airbox lid the same as putting a high flow air filter in :confused:

NO removing the air box lid is removing the air box lid.
and putting a high flow air filter on is putting a hight flow air filter on, like K&N or UNI or ...

redexrider4290
05-24-2005, 10:09 AM
yeah but arent both just letting more air in and increasing flow :ermm:

and could you combine a high air flow filter like K&n or uni with removing the airbox lid that just seems like to much flow and i have a HMF full so would that be to much flow for the engine

bwamos
05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
No it's not too much, I have always run No Lid, K&N, and Pipe. You WILL have to rejet though.

Taking off the airbox lid w/ stock filter will improve flow only very slightly because the stock filter is very restrictive (American quads and dirtbikes are "corked"). Leaving it on w/ a K&N or Uni will increase flow more. But K&N or Uni + no lid is the best air flow.

Bump up jetting.. More air + more gas = more power. ;)

redexrider4290
05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
the jet i was sent for my HMF is suposedly to big (thats wat ive been told on here) so i will take the airbox lid off

and i havent replaced my air filter since i got my bike its still in pretty good condition though (i dont ride that often dont get me wrong i would ride everyday if i could) so next time i get i survaced they will proboly replace the filter, do you know if shops usually replace it with a stock one or a aftermarket foam one like UNI

i thought UNI only gives as much flow as a stock filter because they were both foam:ermm: is there something different about UNI and stock and does UNI offer as much flow as K&N

250-R-250
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
The foam density:p There are different types of foam..The Stock one could be made from more restrictive foam than the aftermarket one.

bwamos
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Not sure what model or year of quad your riding.. but I know the 300ex (1998 at least) had a metal tube w/ 1/4 inch holes punched in it with a layer of foam on the outside. Much more restrictive than just foam wether or not it is a different density.

K&N and Uni both have a TON more air flow than stock.

It will by far be the cheapest power improvement you can make esp. combined with the HMF.

redexrider4290
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
oooooo i thought UNIs were just a foam that went over the metal in the stock filter i didn;t know you dont use the metal part for a uni

i am ridin a 03 250ex

6858-400ex
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
by taking the lid off and adding a filter you inrease flow the motor is only going to take in what it will take in