PDA

View Full Version : 440EX question

Quadtrax
05-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Got another 440ex and am having trouble with it. It came to me in a box, put the engine together with all the specs in mind. After I got it all together it will not start.

Ok, here is where I'm at:
Comp test ..... 30psi
Leak test ..... less than 20%
opened valve adjustment to 8 & 10, comp went up to 50psi
I noticed that the cam alignment is off about 1/2 tooth

JE piston
hot cam
new gaskets, no bent valves

Any ideas??????

Quadtrax

P.S. I built my other 440 with no problems and man does it RUN!!!!!

duke416ex
05-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Gettin gas and spark?

Quadtrax
05-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Good spark and flowing gas.

MIKE400EX
05-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Let's see, you have about 3:1 compression...and ~20% leakdown (20% is very high even for a new motor that has not run)... that would be hard to do! Was the rod bent? Was the carb open when you did the comp. test? Try the comp. tester on a known good motor and see if the numbers are realistic. Put a little oil (heavy - like 20-50, str. 30 etc..) in the cylinder and see if the comp. number comes up. Just some hair brained thoughts.

Quadtrax
05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
All good thoughts ...... Had the carb off, comp tester is good, honda says up to 40% on leak test is ok, I don't think so but.

Rod not bent, bore ok, rings ok. Now can you see what I'm up against. Got to be something I am over looking. If the timing is off enough the comp test will read low .....???

MIKE400EX
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda says 40% after what time period? It's relative to time since any will eventually leak to ambient (0 gage) if there is any gap in the rings. The starter should turn it over quick enough so that time is not a factor in getting a pressure no. If you have a stethascope, turn it over slowly using the flywheel, and listen for (major) leaks or hisses from against the cylinder, intake, exhaust, vents, etc.. Definetly re-check the cam timing. Is that 1/2 tooth really a whole tooth with the tensioner engaged? Yes, it would be low if the cam timing is off. Open the valve clearance up a bunch. If the comp. returns to normal, you know it's cam or cam timing related.