PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bearings - need advice

jpconard
05-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Just took off swingarm from 250EX. It was solid (no side to side play) but I wanted to lube the swingarm bearings.

When I got it apart, the shaft side bearing would pivot the wrong way and when I removed the seal, the balls came out. The other side was fine.

I was able to grease it and put the balls in the retaining cup and set then in the outer race (in the arm), then I took a socket and gently tapped the inner race back in. It is together now and doesn't pivot the wrong way (just turns normally).

Is this normal or is this a bad bearing? This is only an 04 with not too much riding on it.

I was going to order some replacements from Rocky Mountain (before the weekend) but they are out of stock.

I think I am going to get some more grease tomorrow and just get it back together.

Down the road when I probably will replace the bearings and seals, how do I remove the outer race?

It seemed pressed into the swingarm pretty solidly. You also can't get to it from the opposite side since the swingarm is sealed in the middle (shaft drive).

Meek
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Replace the bearings with OEM.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Ya that bearing is shot. Getting the outer race out is going to be tough if the bearing was still intact you would press on the inner race to get it out but now you will have to break the inner race to get it out or heat the swingarm up in that spot and hope the outer race will fall out

mthomas
09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know which side is supposed to face out on the new bearings? One side is thicker than the other on the bearing (the thicker side has the bearing number on it). Unfortunately I did not pay attention when I took the old ones out. Any help is appreciated.