PDA

View Full Version : Is this supposed to happen?

Rastus
05-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Ok, i went out to ride it today, and i kicked it once, and it fired but died. I put the choke on(it was cold), and kicked it again and there wasnt any compression. After a couple of kicks, i got compression back. What happened?

Rastus
05-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Sorry, forgot to add more ,lol.
This was at about 50* F. It never did this at temps. like 70*F.

Any ideas?

Leo
05-21-2002, 09:13 PM
are you sure the kickstart was actually turning the motor over, and not just slipping..? perhaps the gears didn't engage quite right or something..?

Leo

05-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Do the 4 stroke kick starts still have the one way clutch bearing like on the electric starts? I dont think so but if there is one it would act like that when getting worn.

Rastus
05-22-2002, 12:59 PM
No, im sure its not locking up or anything. It jsut seems like it looses compression, like theres a decompressor, but there isnt one on my quad.I can put my hand over the muffler, and i can feel the air coming out.Maybe just the valves were alittle weird because it was colder. Could they do that?

Thanks for the help guys

honda400zx
05-22-2002, 05:53 PM
the part where you have the most compression is tdc(top dead center) the part where you said it lost compression it was just goin along its cycle and when you gaind it again it was a tdc again