PDA

View Full Version : Just picked it up Today

Derno24
05-21-2002, 08:12 PM
I hope this works

Derno24
05-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Here goes the other 2 pictures...Yeah I know I haven't washed it from the first ride.

Derno24
05-21-2002, 08:15 PM
One last one

05-21-2002, 09:35 PM
sweet, how u like, stand up like everyone says??

Derno24
05-21-2002, 10:50 PM
What do you mean by stand up??? It is a good handling bike. It slides well and power is definitely good I pulled a wheely in 2nd no problem. Power rolls on not very hard hitting until you get to the top end. Any quastions you would like the answers to let me know and I will test them.

Sparkles
05-22-2002, 09:50 AM
looks good hope u like it

flaneledholes
05-22-2002, 10:09 AM
how much minus sales tax and financing and stuff

flaneledholes
05-22-2002, 10:11 AM
How does it compare to the 400 as speed, handling,wheely ability,and does it have reverse?What about the choke action???(where is it located?)

05-22-2002, 11:01 AM
im talkin, is it as good as everyone says it is

Derno24
05-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Cost was $5,199 before taxes 5,700 OTD. Sorry 440, the quad seems good, not as tippy as you would believe. Soft ride too, I don't know if that is from the suspension being soft or me just being used to a hard ride. I only rode for about an hour so not much to go on. It definitely handles well and has good power. One thing that I find convenient is the location of the choke and all functions. It is laid out like a motorcycle that way. The choke is on the handle bars. Good torque out of the hole. I hit a corner in second and pushed the throttle a bit (PUNCHED IT) and the front end stood right up for me. So the power is definitely there. If anyone has questions let me know or things you would like to see I have a digital camera and I don't mind taking pictures.

Some side notes: the skid plate is plastic, the swing arm has a wierd setup, and the oil dipstick is in the front of the machine.

Derno24
05-22-2002, 01:49 PM
and it does have reverse. You turn a switch on the right fender and push the shifter down past where first is. When you are done all you have to do is kick it up to first and away you go.

Woodsrider
05-22-2002, 05:31 PM
How long do you think that rear rotaor will last? I noticed it isn't vented.(never looked at the fronts) I now that non vented rotors tend to get scored up faster then the vented ones for some reason.
I think the rotor and swing arm were the only two things I didn't like. Other than the godawfull headlight set up.
Have you ridden it at night? does it light up the trail any better than the EX?

Punk13rym
05-22-2002, 05:37 PM
can you get a pic of the swingarm because everyone says that its weard looking and i have not seen it yet?

trx400ex
05-22-2002, 06:06 PM
yamaha rotors arent drilled either..mines stood up

05-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Although I dont have any pics, the swingarm looks like it's sleeved into a larger one half way up it's length, thicker towards the pivot bolt, thinner towards the axle. It would seem they did that in response to alot of 400ex swingarms breaking there. The axle adjuster looks like more of a hassle then an ex(nothing beats an eccentric cam adjustment. It looks like the old LT's adjusters, quite easy to get the axle crooked, but that is only a guess.

Guy400
05-22-2002, 06:26 PM
My 15 year old rear LT rotor isn't vented and it's not scored or warped. Scoring is usually a result of brake pads worn too far or debris getting between the pad and the rotor.

Mrbulehair, it is the same axle adjuster/chain tensioner system as found on the '87+ LT's. It is more time consuming to tighten the chain (I just did mine and from start to finish it took about 5 minutes, not nearly as fast as the Honda system but still no deeply involved process). There's also a series of hash marks etched into the top of the swingarm and there's a set of markers on 2 of the bolts on top. Really, the only way to not get the axle straight is human error (can't line up the correct hash marks). Again, still not as easy as the Honda. I can speak from experience that there's no issue of swingarm strength on the LT's (especially the '91-'92s like this has been copied from). I've also been attempting to explain to people also that the swingarm has been boxed or sleeved as you put it. If you cut that top aluminum plate off the top of the swingarm it looks like a conventional dual beam system as found on the EX. Underneath the skin is a normal swingarm but it's been further reinforced with aluminum around it's perimeter. May not look the coolest but it does it's job.

05-22-2002, 06:45 PM
I saw the adjustment marks on the Z's swing arm the adjustment looks pretty straight foreward. I guess what I was tryin to say is like everything, If it can be screwed up, someone will find a way to pull it off. Personally I thing the swingarm looks quite stout and don't know what the big fuss is about. If it works, go with it.... only time will detirmine the swingarm's toughness. I'm guessind it will be just fine.

Derno24
05-22-2002, 09:09 PM
here's the swingarm

Derno24
05-22-2002, 09:11 PM
and the front rotors are vented, even though this picture doesn't show it. Man I should have washed it right away.

Razorback
05-23-2002, 07:50 AM
i'm wondering why a lot of people think the z400 will be/is tippy? from the specs in the dirtwheels article, it is the same height and very slightly wider than the 400ex, and it is supposed to have a very low center of gravity. if i didn't have so much money in my 400ex, i'd definitely be giving this z a good look.

Zero Z400
05-23-2002, 07:50 AM
Did u break it in yet? You didn't mention if u did. I'm paying the same price so hopefully they won't over charge on friehgt, etc. If u can get at $5100 which is about the same for a 400ex then there is no reason to get the 400. I don't think suzuki will have problems like everybody thinks they will. I also think the swingarm is fine, besides that alll the exriders will be seeing.
And can u get a pic of the "weak" radiator mount and eletrical stuff? thanx

Later

Derno24
05-23-2002, 08:00 AM
I am still working on the break in. This is not a tippy quad very solid. I was saying the same thing that people were saying it is tippy and haven't even rode it yet. I have and it is not tippy. Very nimble in the corners.

Zero Z400
05-23-2002, 08:13 AM
I don't see how it can be tippy w/ just sitting on it plus it is a tiny bit wider. It also has has the same seat heiht as the 400. There is only a 2in. difference in overall height. I think people are jealous cuz they have spent so much money on their ex and now a better machine is coming out. But eventually Honda will come out w/ a better machine:D Those people must be drunk or have bad balance if they think it is tippsy.

Later

zuLi0
05-23-2002, 08:41 AM
you think the z400 will give the 400ex a run for its money or will the 400ex still come out on top, whats your guys thoughts?

Im personnaly not sure, they havent came out in my area yet, so i havent even seen one besides the magizines. :(

I had an old 230 quadsport and beat the crap out of it, if my 400ex or the new z400 takes a beating at all like that thing took there both great quads. so far so good for the 400ex :D

Derno24
05-23-2002, 09:42 AM
It's a quad it runs good, and I hope it will be very durable. Other than that I will try not to get into the z400 / 400 ex wars. Not worth it in my book. If you have deep pockets just buy the add on parts or put a bigger motor under the seat. All in all nice quad for the money and it is liquid cooled and has reverse. Alot of and's

JustRace
05-23-2002, 04:07 PM
I decided to post this hear instead of making a new post.

Wow 46hp out of cam, exhaust, intake and carb.

http://www.gtthunder.com/dyno_z400.JPG

Zero Z400
05-23-2002, 04:38 PM
I agree Derno, don't start an EX vs. Z. you'll lose on these boards. But i think it will give it more than a run when compared to the ex. Liquid cooling is a very good thing as is reverse. My dealer kept on saying that they havn't released them so they must have been doing ALOT of testing. I think some already said that kawasaki made the frame but was working on the motor and then they merged, and used the DRZ motor. I don't know if this true but its possible.

Later

zuLi0
05-23-2002, 09:57 PM
wasent really trying to make a war. was only wondering what other peoples inputs were as to the ex.

:D

Derno24
05-23-2002, 10:09 PM
If you read the reviews from magazines they say it is better. Only time will tell. For the immeadiate future it will soften sales on the 400ex. Only because it is the new toy

05-23-2002, 11:19 PM
I think the later release so the Z400 was a combination of extended R&D and the fact they probablly wanted to ramp up production so there weren't too many buyers left waiting for their Z. I remember when I bought my 400ex in Nov of 98 it was the last one any of the local dealers had that wasn't a Canadian(THIS IS IN SAN DIEGO MIND YOU) model with all of the welded on reflector tabs. They sold out their entire stock in a matter of a few days. I feel Suzuki was smart in waiting, and no quad wars, the more competition between the factories means we get newer and better quads more frequently. We all win. Now the wait is on for the new Bombardier Alum framed 440 or the Honda CRF440ex(IT WILL BE BUILT) and the Kawi and the Polari, never mind...

Derno24
05-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Sorry for the dealy in the review. I gave it a good ride on both the trails and mx this sunday at Jack Frost. I thought it was a very plush ride. I have not adjusted the shocks yet, but I did bottom it out a couple times on the bigger jumps. I weigh about 210lbs. I think the adjustments will take care of some of this. Speed is good I didn't get a chance to really open it up on a straight away, but I will this weekend against a stock banshee so I will let you know the truth about that. I thought overall a thumbs up. Any questions you guys can think of let me know and I will answer them as best as possible.

yellowrider
05-29-2002, 10:48 PM
hey all jokes aside about the 400z that i made in my last post i hope i didnt pee off to many people ...

so you think it's a good ride or do you see any kind of improvement that you think they should have made or soemthing??
if you had to guess what is the top speed of the machine and also will it gain alot of ponies by taking the airbox lid off

Derno24
05-30-2002, 07:46 AM
It definitely gain some more ponies with the lid off and new jetting, but if you go that far might as well get the slip on. Those simple mods should really wake it up. It hits hard late in the rpm's so it has some kick. As far as top speed not quite sure yet. I haven't had a straight stretch of road to run it on. I will know more on that question this weekend. I haven't had a chance to adjust the shocks, but it seems like they are a little soft for aggressive riding. Otherwise it is an excellent quad. It think there is a company GT thunder listed on other posts that goes into detail about what certain mods will do to this motor. HP and such..

yellowrider
05-31-2002, 01:07 AM
Derno i am glad that you liked your quad i was about to test drive one today but they wouldnt let me those faggots pissed me off to you have no idea .. they said you had to be 18!!

and you know hat else !! some guy came right after me and got on it well guess what in front of the sales person i told that guy they are supposed to be 5699 not 5899.00 and that dealer says i can assure you that they are 5899 andywya swe made a phone cal land he went to the dealer 20 miles away and got it for 5400 we had to show him where it was ... and by george he didnt let me rid it either but i think he wanted to but his wife was a BItCuakjf a asdfjk H

Derno24
05-31-2002, 07:28 AM
Man that really sucks maybe you could tell the guy mine was $5,299...I can't believe the dealer was trying to make a mark up on that when you knew the actual msrp...:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 11:24 PM
I'm liking mine so far. Derno, i take it u didn't do suzuki's "recommended" break-in.I don't feel like having any trouble down the road so i'm doing it. Hopefully it'll pay off, they say 10 hours 1/2 throttle. I think the shocks are nice for agrresive trail riding but they'll be to soft for going big at the mx track. Once i get it broke-in i'll mess around with the shocks, but i might get the fronts front revalved or get new ones if i start doing mx.

Later

Derno24
06-02-2002, 09:00 AM
I am from the school of break it in the way you are going to ride it. I babied it for about 2 hours tops then started spanking it. Besides I am not very good at mx I am more of a trail rider. I think if I make some adjustments the shocks will be a little better. Worst case scenario get upgrades. It is definitely very plush on the trails though.

badass400ex
06-03-2002, 09:54 PM
ive ridden one that was broke in i really liked it it felt so much like my 400 it aint funny it has more power than a stock 400ex but thats due to the compression difference only thing i can complain about is i thaught the tires were too grabby when turning or sliding! it wheelies good and jumps good although the front end is heavier witch makes it nosedive compared to the 400ex but after 15 minutes you can easily adapt to its jumping characteristicts and land even i did have a problem with the reverse the owner said it has did it since day 1 and is returning it to get it looked at all in all i liked it

Derno24
06-04-2002, 07:42 AM
I have no clue what you are talking about the nose being heavy. I have cleared jumps no problem with no nose dive action. Also upon clearing the jump gave it a little too much gas and wheelied away. My reverse works fine though.

appleman400ex
06-04-2002, 08:31 AM
you have to ware it in for 10 hours before you use full throttle

Derno24
06-04-2002, 09:25 AM
How many people do you know that would ride at half throttle no more for 10 hours? If you say you are than you are lying. I know what they recommend.

06-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Hey guyes, what is the factory gear combo front and rear on the Z???

badass400ex
06-05-2002, 09:12 AM
by the front being heave im comparing it to my 400ex its not much heavier but i did notice it its something the rider can adapt to

Nausty
06-05-2002, 01:49 PM
it could just seem no heavy because the way you could be sitting on the quad and say only preloading the rear. You would probably have to get used to it and get to know the quad a little better. Afterall a 250r rider could say that a 400ex is way wayy to nose heavy.

Rider#11
06-10-2002, 11:38 PM
whats the wheeling like on the z?

Derno24
06-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Very easy the front comes right up excellent power. I had a problem when I raced it (Drag Race) keeping the front on the ground during the holeshot.

06-11-2002, 12:04 PM
basicly, its like a 250r for example, it hits the power higher in the revs than say a 400, correct??

Derno24
06-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah I would say that is a good picture of the power band.

06-11-2002, 11:17 PM
i don't care if suzuki came out wit a 750z or whatever im sticking wit honda.

!~always ride red~!

Derno24
06-12-2002, 07:16 AM
Nobody asked you to switch EX300

06-12-2002, 09:22 AM
we told u not to switch, lol