PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried to put a hitch on a old VW Bug?

trailgoon
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Has anyone ever tried to put a hitch on an old VW bug(the ones with the enginge in the back). Yeah I know it will be underpowered and there won't be enough brakes but it is the only thing I have? I just wanted to know where you would attach it since it has a pan instead of a frame.

trick450r
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
i wouldn't hesitate to try it...not sure were it would attach...i might end up putting 1 on my VW rabbit untill my landcruiser is done

trailgoon
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I am just curios because I am going to do it but I wanted to build off of other peoples ideas/attempts. I'm pretty sure I can do it bcuz my dad is a really good fabricator.

Hey trick 450r is your rabbit the dielsel ones that get about a bazillion miles to the gallon?

trick450r
05-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by trailgoon
I am just curios because I am going to do it but I wanted to build off of other peoples ideas/attempts. I'm pretty sure I can do it bcuz my dad is a really good fabricator.

Hey trick 450r is your rabbit the dielsel ones that get about a bazillion miles to the gallon?

nope its a 84' rabbit GTI almost scca ready but still street legal..its not very fast but it corners almost like our porsche but alittle worse..

05-23-2005, 06:35 PM
no but my aunt has:scary: :macho :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

400ex4rick
05-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I had one years ago it pulled a 5X8 trailer OK I made my hitch but looked something like this http://search.ebay.com/vw-bug-hitch_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

trailgoon
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanx! :D ;) is there anything ebay cant do. My dad should be able to get some ideas off of this. I can only see one problem my car has a torsion bar and I think IRS stands for independant rear suspension.