PDA

View Full Version : 300ex CAM Advise

frosti96
05-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Does any body know if there is any stage 1,2. or 3 cams for the 300EX. I am looking to gain some more power with out loosing the relyability. I was thing of a stage one CAM.:)

Colby@C&DRacing
05-23-2005, 08:41 AM
As of right now hot cam does not make cams for the 300ex. Web has several cam profiles for the 300ex but you must use hard faced rockers with them.

frosti96
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info.....Has any body elese tried this? Is it worth the money?

300exOH
05-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Not sure if it is true but I have read that the hardened rockers aren't neccesary.:ermm:

honda250xrider
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I have had the web cam 320 grind i think, i liked this cam it did gain a little everywhere it seemed, but i then had mickey dunlap make me a custom cam. And so far i have yet to ride another 300 or 250 that has the same kind of low end power that this cam can produce. I even have a Web cam that i can sell if you are interested but you must have hardend rockers.

bwamos
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Yes and no.

The cam alone will get you minimal increases.. as the porting on a 300ex is very poor.

I am assuming you have already done the pipe/filter/jet combo, most definatly the best bang for the buck on a 300ex.

The next stage after that includes a:
High Comp Piston 11:1 std bore or overbore (gonna have to get it honed anyway.. may as well get a 330+sleeve ;))
Cam + Rocker work + Heavier valve springs (depending on grind).
Port and Polish head (a must)
Oversized valves (depending on what you want, but I'd reccomend)
CDI box mod
Oil cooler (a must if you mod your engine, easy to install)
Not necessary but I got heavier clutch springs as well. (very cheap like $14)

You really have to do all of the above with a 300ex to get a good noticable increase after the pipe/filter. And it will be VERY noticable. ;)

I have been running a 330cc 11:1 Four Stroke-Tech setup hard for about 4 years w/ no issues.

What are you trying to acheive. ?
Ride woods and want a little more umph for the hills? Just drop your front sproket 1 tooth. :)
Need more top end speed? Just mod the CDI for a higher RPM
Need more HP for the sand dunes? go 330.

frosti96
05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I all reay have Complete exhaust, jet kit, K&N, 14 tooth sprocket. I am looking to gain some more all arround power. I ride trails, and tracks. Thanks..

bwamos
05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Not sure if it is true but I have read that the hardened rockers aren't neccesary.:ermm:

WEB cams: YES they are necessary because the cam is hardened. If you have soft rocker faces it will eat your rockers very quickly.

standard cams (like hot cams): no you dont want hardened rockers because they will eat your cam.

In short if you have a hardened cam you want hardened rocker faces. If you dont then you dont. You want the same material hardness on both parts.

ckasper18
05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Web makes a nice cam they have several choices if your looking for relability i recomend the all around cam white bros also has a nic cam.We have both cams the sparks mx cam and the web cam both make a difference but hard to tell with big valve head port ed and .080 over bore which makes it 298cc.iRECOMMEND WHEN YOU CHANGE A CAM TO GO WITH NEW ROCKER ARMS FOR THE ORIGANALL ARMS ARE WORE TO THE STOCK CAM ANYWAYS.

bwamos
05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
If you have some cash and are worried about reliablility.. go with a smaller bore 11:1 comp pistion w/ an all-around cam along with the rest of the stuff. Then when you want to refresh the engine a couple years down the road you can drop in a 330cc w/ a MX grind cam for some real fun. ;) The 330cc is very reliable though. Dont know anyone who has had issues with it outside of poor care.

But in all honesty (coming from a diehard 300ex rider).. the best bang for the buck.. since you havent modded the engine yet.. is to sell the 300 and buy a used 400ex. ;) They are a very nice reliable machine as well w/ loads more power than a standard 300ex. (no reverse though, unless you get an 06)

I kept mine because I already had a ton of money in it w/ aftermarket suspension etc..

Originally posted by ckasper18
I RECOMMEND WHEN YOU CHANGE A CAM TO GO WITH NEW ROCKER ARMS FOR THE ORIGANALL ARMS ARE WORE TO THE STOCK CAM ANYWAYS.

Agree...

frosti96
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the feed back.....:)

Cody_300ex
05-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Go with a stage 3 or 4 web cam. I have a stage 3, P&P done by myself, .040 11:1 pistion, .020 taken off the head, 4 angle valve job and my 300 absolutely rips, So far I have beat a 89 prelude, and a 440ex. :cool:

dirtmomma
05-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I"m pretty sure WEB makes a "stage 1" drop in cam that you don't need hardened rockers w/. I a m running the stage 3 w/ hardened rockers,11:1 piston,bored whatever the last one is :), porting,& so me other misc stuff & mine runs good I have a stage 4 WEB cma to put in but I odn't have the valve job or springs so I'm waitng to get that!!

Good Luck

Cody_300ex
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I"m pretty sure WEB makes a "stage 1" drop in cam that you don't need hardened rockers w/. I a m running the stage 3 w/ hardened rockers,11:1 piston,bored whatever the last one is :), porting,& so me other misc stuff & mine runs good I have a stage 4 WEB cma to put in but I odn't have the valve job or springs so I'm waitng to get that!!

Good Luck

dirtmomma you need shortened valve guides for it also. ;) It sounds like we are running a very similar set-up! I know i love mine! I have a problem with the front end wantin the lift coming out of corners, and when shifting real fast into second, this is with a 15/38 sprokets too!!

dirtmomma
05-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Man how in the WORLD do you run a 15T sprocket???? My 14T is close to the case, hmmm I might just have to try that LOL, naw I don't even like running the 14T cuz I cna't run the case saver :( but I run it anyway, I have 14/38 right now, my 36T is tweeked time to get ALL new onesz!!!! YES I love my set up, & YES it LOVES to pull wheelies all the way thru the gears :D:D

Cody_300ex
05-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Oh it just bearly fits, actually the chain has run some little grooves into the case from it been so big. Mines due for a whole chain sproket set-up, I just gotta find the time, money, and get ungrounded. lol