PDA

View Full Version : CRIPES! (e-brake block off question)

siberthugd
05-22-2005, 11:01 PM
So I'm fixing my buddies 400ex. New pads, minor tunig, etc. Has a Lonestar block off plate on it. The thing was dented and had a crack in it. Previous owner put a rubber home made gasket on it that was all messed up. I put new pads in it, cut a gasket out of gasket paper and go to bleed the brakes... Sure enough, squirt squirt out the pinhole crack. So I JB weld it. Squirt! Busts through the JB weld. I go and buy a new block off plate. Put it on, bleed it and I get a pedal. Go to ride, the gasket lets go due to the pressure.

I thought there should be NO brake fluid on this side of the caliper, it should all be sealed, correct? I shouldn't even need a gasket on this B.O.P. and thats the reason it didn't come with one. So now what? I need a rebuild kit for the caliper? Is it a pretty straight forward DIY project? Thanks for any and all info.

JOEX
05-23-2005, 01:43 AM
There should be no fluid on that side of the caliper. Get your buddy a caliper rebuild kit, should only cost a few dollars. I have the 'kit' just a couple of o-rings, haven't installed it yet, I just have it for that time when I may need it ;) I usually but a few extra general maintenance parts when i'm ordering other things:)

A gasket is not needed for the block off plate but some people put some kind of sealant on there to keep dirt out.

siberthugd
05-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks a bunch...

siberthugd
05-23-2005, 12:36 PM
just called local shop "Cycle Pros" in bridewater. $40!!!?? WTF, thought it was a couple dollars. Screw that, I'll weld a bead around that thing before I pay $40 for a couple o-rings.

JOEX
05-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Call C&D Racing

2000400EX
05-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, no way that should cost $40! I just rebuilt mine a few weeks ago. Pretty easy job, just make sure you're carefull with the new seals when installing the piston and keep everything clean. When putting in the new seals, coat them with new brake fluid, as well as the piston when putting it back in. There are 3 seals you need to replace. You need items #2 and #27 in this picture. #27 is the one that is leaking on you right now. Mine was too. Hope this helps!

http://www.planethondaracing.com/hondaparts/images/schematic/trx400ex/trx400ex-rearbrakecaliper-99-03.gif

http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=s9daPxwq&mv_pc=165&se=pg_d_id%3d659%20and%20pg_my_id%3d79