PDA

View Full Version : Pipe question

2fast450r
05-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I was thinking about taking out my stock pipe insert/spark arestor/baffle whatever on my TRX 450R and taking off the airbox lid and jetting the carb has anyone done this and can anyone tell me if it's a bad idea? If anyone has done it and knows a good jetting size and needle setting please IM me and let me know .. Thanks

DeerNuts
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
You have a coupla questions that a lot of people tend to have. While I dont have a 450, I do have a 400ex, so I will assume the mods you are doing are similar to what someone would do to a 400ex.

1st off: if you are going to take off your airbox lid, run a outerwears on it to keep the crap out. From what ive heard, you can actually breath thru the stuff and dust/dirt/etc... wont get in it.

2nd: personally, I wouldnt take out the arrestor, simply because it provides a very small increase in performance, and you lose the purpose of the arrestor in the 1st place.

Your jetting will never be the same as someone else's--- even with the exact same mods. just the way it is. elevation, weather, your own specific mods.--- these all play into factor of course, which Im sure you already know.

since the mods you want to do are small, you would really only need to go up maybe 1 or 2 main jet sizes at most. thats what id guess anyway.
but i really do recommend just getting an aftermarket pipe and not screwing with the stock. it is always more trouble to do that anyway and the little bit of performance you get out of it is not really worth it anyway.