PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Brett Downey

Mxjunkie
05-22-2005, 06:58 PM
12 year old Brett Downey raced ama motocross 85cc class, while at Glen Helen during pratice he laid his bike down, there wasnt any flaggers on the track at the time, while he was trying to pick up his bike another rider hit him and killed him. His parents have started stressing motocross safety at tracks.

I think that this is something that should be stressed, Rausch Creek has no flaggers while you ride there, I laid my cr80 down in one of turns, stuck under my bike and a few riders got a little close. I think we should email our tracks and tell them about this to make sure there are flaggers so people can be safe.

:(

I-7
05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Ive seen videos of a glen helen open practice and it looks VERY scary and the no flaggers just adds to it. Sadly, a lot of tracks don't want to spend an extra couple of hundred bucks to hire flaggers for a day and we all learn the hard way. It is getting better but I think it should be an ama rule or a law to require flaggers to be in positions at scheduled open practices and of course races.

nosliw
05-22-2005, 07:07 PM
that's horrible :(

Mxjunkie
05-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by I-7
Ive seen videos of a glen helen open practice and it looks VERY scary and the no flaggers just adds to it. Sadly, a lot of tracks don't want to spend an extra couple of hundred bucks to hire flaggers for a day and we all learn the hard way. It is getting better but I think it should be an ama rule or a law to require flaggers to be in positions at scheduled open practices and of course races.

They are working on the law now supposbly, all ama santioned(sp) races and tracks. You would think they would have flaggers, alot of the time at some tracks the places you'd go down you could be knocked out and just lying there for a long time without anyone knowing till someone or a track guy rode through.

Cdaleracer
05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I hate hearing stuff like this. Especially if it's about kids. That kind of thing makes me angry....having no flaggers, that's just plain irresponsible.