PDA

View Full Version : WARNING if your buying a car

Quadman250R
05-22-2005, 07:25 AM
DO NOT GET THE 2.7 LITER V6 DODGE ENGINES. they are the worst engines you can get they go out anywhere from 35,000 miles to 75,000 miles. the warranty will not cover it either they will just say you didnt change your oil every 3000 miles.

Giz400ex
05-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Thats a small v6, what model are they usually in?

05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
dont buy dodge to begin with.

derekhonda
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
YEAH !!!!! Dodges stink like butt !!! Dont ever buy a dodge, they are all horrible every last one of them !!! I'll never own one !!!

bigbadbrad
05-22-2005, 10:24 AM
you guys dont know what you are talking about, i have never had any problems with my dodge dakota, all viechiles break down anyways there is no way around it so quit your complaining

Cole Trane
05-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Pretty much and Diemler/Chrysler product is garbage. JMO.

honda350r
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Quadman250R
DO NOT GET THE 2.7 LITER V6 DODGE ENGINES. they are the worst engines you can get they go out anywhere from 35,000 miles to 75,000 miles. the warranty will not cover it either they will just say you didnt change your oil every 3000 miles.

Ha Ha Ha... We call that the Magnum moment!!!! Dodge sucks big time !

Dead
On
Dam
Garage
Entrance

Out_Sider
05-22-2005, 11:20 AM
my mom has owns the hemi ram 1500 and it has been nothing but a great truck, and the 99 ram she had before was a good truck too, the only vehical we've had problems with was my brothers old 94 s10, so i think all brands are reliable when takin care off, the s10 had 260,000 on it before it blew

SadisticShee
05-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
you guys dont know what you are talking about, i have never had any problems with my dodge dakota, all viechiles break down anyways there is no way around it so quit your complaining
He is 100% Right

nosliw
05-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by mittimj

amen. mopar is a joke.

250-R-250
05-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Thats why all I own is FORD...

05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
F first
O on
R race
D day

or

First
On
Race
Day

which every way floats your boat.

Found
On
Race
Driving

bansheeguy77
05-22-2005, 12:35 PM
weve had 2 dakotas and they both had major problems....so my mother just bought a new 05 dakota :huh

we all know what the best cars on the road are. honda :cool:

Butters
05-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
weve had 2 dakotas and they both had major problems....so my mother just bought a new 05 dakota :huh

i agree with that

Giz400ex
05-22-2005, 03:08 PM
you guys dont know what you are talking about, i have never had any problems with my dodge dakota, all viechiles break down anyways there is no way around it so quit your complaining Yup!

Disaster
05-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Ford and chevy is where its at ...

chucked
05-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I could go on and on about Mopars, used to be a mopar fan, but after a few incidents I will never buy again. I aint goin into detail because people will flame.

Juggalo
05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
my 3.8 liter in my town and country is still roarin strong after over 200,000 miles :) we've had a couple problems but nothin too bad. but yeah i prob will never own another chrysler product in my life unless its an old muscle car or a jeep. everybody that has them around here has tons of problems.

TheFontMaster
05-22-2005, 07:14 PM
The only dodge cars I will ever buy are the new magnums or the 300c's. But My family has a 98 caravan with the little straight 4. It has just over 150,000 miles on it, and it still runs strong. But we just brought it down to a shop for transmission problems. But still not too bad for 150.000 miles of no problems.

honda350r
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM

Not according to JD Power,that title goes to Lexus!!!!!!!1

Prazak250EX
05-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Dodge blows, buy a Ford. I rarely hear of Ford having any major problems besides that Firestone incident.

Metzroth
05-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Chevy IMO is the best. Our Astro Van has over 137,000 Miles on it. Couldn't tell you the exact amount tho because the odometor stopped at 137k before we moved about 6 years ago. Easily has another 50k mileage on it, but i can't prove it so i wont argue it. Biggest problem we've had is probably the odometor and speedometer stopping :P. Stuff like heater core and AC condenser are expected to fail after awhile, but if you want to count those u can. No huge engine or tranny problems tho. Nothing i myself couldn't fix, and I'm no master mechanic. But yeah, IMO General Motors is the way to go if you want a good reliable truck or car.

jeepboyny
05-22-2005, 11:38 PM
EHHHH Chevy is the best...No wait...Ford is the best....oops, maybe Toyota is the best?

Every vehicle will have a problem of some sort, be it a Dodge or a Rolls Royce. They are a mechanical machine. If the model Dodge you're talkin about blows up for every person that buys one...they will come around and fix it if enough people blow their horns. Look at Ford with the Firestone tires like someone else said...They put new tires on anything for those who brought em in. And on top of that, if you go back and look at those wrecks, the fools were driving at high speed with underinflated tires in a hot climate! Sounds more like user error to me. Would be the same situation if you didn't change the oil in the Dodge. If you maintain the thing, it will hold up. If it has a major mechanical failure, and you talk to the right people it'll usually get fixed.

Rant over

250R-Dee
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
Not according to JD Power,that title goes to Lexus!!!!!!!1

I guess you mean Toyota....:blah:

05-23-2005, 04:34 AM
I know of a 1999 ford f-350 that has over 400,000 miles on it. No bull ****. I dont know what has been replaced on it, but it is owned by a concret company.

chucked
05-23-2005, 04:36 AM
I know of a 1999 ford f-350 that has over 400,000 miles on it. No bull ****. I dont know what has been replaced on it, but it is owned by a concret company.

I know a 94 f-150 that has almost 300k, It has the inline six, burns no oil, but it leaks it faster then you can put it in.

Quadman250R
05-23-2005, 06:47 AM

I didnt say a dodge dakota....I said the 2.7 liter engines from dodge, i know the intrepid for sure. If you dont believe me look into it on some car review site....look up dodge intrepid. And about the magnum i dont know if they fixed the problem or not because you can get that with a 2.7 also. The problem is oil sludge and timing chain, then your engine go's and the dealer wont fix it, it has happened to numerous people.

Also i know 3 people who had a dodge truck, hauled a trailor and used it to work a little and the transmission went out, i liked dodge, but not no more.

jeepboyny
05-23-2005, 08:45 AM
See, now you're giving more details. If the engine is getting full of sludge it's because the oil is old and breaking down. I heard from someone that the oil passages in those motors are somewhat small, so that would be a problem if there was sludge buildup. But the problem still comes around to user error. Chances are the owners manual says how often to do maintenance on it, and what to use as far as oil viscosity is concerned. Unfortunately people like to push the envelope and go over the limits, then blame the car when it breaks.

On the other hand, If magazines and such are doing reviews on it, and stating this, and it gets enough press, DaimlerChrysler will probably end up having to do something about it, or lose sales. Thats pretty much how things work.

As far as the trannys in trucks...the '94-97 dodge trannies were better, since then they have went downhill, and their 5spd autos are horrible.

hemi operator
05-23-2005, 09:42 AM
The sludging problem was on earlier 2.7 engines. I believe since 2001 or so the problem has been taken care of. Ford and GM have just as many issues as Dodge does. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Ford and GM are both in major trouble this year, if you read any financial news. Chrysler is the only one seeing sales increase. Chrysler quality as a whole has improved vastly over the last 5 years or so.

duke416ex
05-23-2005, 09:43 AM
The 00' and up trannies are better than the 94-99 in the trucks and if you were going to be pulling then you needed a manual in these years. The trannies wouldn't hold up to the torque, I am not talking from hear say it is from experience. We have had v-8 and v-10 dodges. We also have had 2 powerstrokes and a couple chevies. I was raised liking bowties, I will never own a ford unless it is practically free, and my next truck will be a Dodge.

If you think Dodges have always sucked, look back in the 60's and 70's, ever hear of cudas, road runners, chargers? Dodge had pure power, mopar is some bad stuff, period!! Every car will tear up if not taken care of, and some will if taken care of, it is not always a brand issue but usually just abuse or bad luck. Of these breakdowns, how many ppl do you know that did preventitive maintenence?

Scro
05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
you people should stop arguing about auto reliability and just buy a YOTA!

duke416ex
05-23-2005, 11:36 AM
I think yota's are good trucks, they are relable, go good offroad, and look ok, but they just aren't quite heavy enough to pull farm equipment and car trailers around. Other than that I wouldn't mind having one.

05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
done.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p1cbc0345e9b867b4dd9245c347d13f6e/f71fb8bc.jpg

hemi operator
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Toyota is great, but even they've had their share of problems. One of the more recent ones was the exact same thing this thread started about...oil sludging.

red2004 TRX450R
05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
I use to work for a Dodge/Gm dealer.

and i can tell you the Dodge is junk!!!!!

there would be at least 2 neons in the garage every day getting new Heads put on!!
and most of them had under 20000 miles.

Most rams knock and ping and have no power.
trannies are junk.
JUNK JUNK

I worked in the service office for a wile and the repair folders for crysler were 3X as large as the GM folders. and there were more GM files. most of them where just oil changes and rotor proplems (gm brakes suck). :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :mad: :eek: :D

lil400exman
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
I drive a yota and have no trouble at all. If I were to go with a heavy truck It would have to be a Older chevrolet with the diesel with the good ol 5 speed mated behind it. My buddy had one and we litterally tried to kill it but it still runs great.........:o

duke416ex
05-23-2005, 12:59 PM
They were neons, they are a cheap car. How many calvaliers do you see hold together after years of hard use? The pickups have noisy lifters, so do chevies after they get a few miles, big deal.

How many duramaxes did they have blow up before they got through the break in cycle, the local dealer had atleast 3 within 2 months.

94-99 dodge trannies were bout junk, years ago chevy trannies were junk also. They had a recal on time because the flywheels were falling apart going down the road. Every, E V E R Y, brand has problems at one point or another. If they didn't there would be no reason to redesign things.

SGA
05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Dodge fans go buy a Plymouth Valiant. Slant six. Those things ran forever.
Al Bundy drove one and got over a million miles on his.:o

SGA
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Now heres a fast Dodge: Ram SRT10

No other truck comes close to this ultimate performance. No one else sports a class-obliterating 500 horsepower and 525 lb-ft of torque. And no "toy" truck can even think about topping 150 mph or reaching 60 mph in just over 5 seconds.

500 horsepower
525 lb-ft of torque
8.3-liter V10 Viper engine
Six-speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter
22-inch polished-aluminum wheels
Dual exhaust

hemi operator
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
No nono...Al Bundy had a Dodge Dart!;) The more curvy style, like the Duster.
Al's Dodge (http://www.bundypage.de/newbundydodge.html)

SGA
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
No nono...Al Bundy had a Plymouth Duster!;)
HAHA! Caught ya before you changed your post! We were both wrong!

One of Al's few possessions included a bronze-colored 1974 Dodge Dart automobile with close to one million miles on the odometer. He starts the car with a screwdriver as the key.

hemi operator
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, IIRC Dodge and Plymouth used the Dart and Duster names on both those body styles in the early-mid '70s. Kind of strange. When I was a kid in the late seventies everyone had a Dart or Duster or Valiant with the slant six. I can still hear the unique sound of that motor and the whine the trans made like it was yesterday!

SGA
05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, same car pretty much. I still remember the whine the dodge starters made.

Doober
05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
F first
O on
R race
D day

or

First
On
Race
Day

Found
On
Race
Driving

Found
On
Road
Dead

or

backwards

Driver
Returned
On
Foot

i prefer them ways

duke416ex
05-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
No nono...Al Bundy had a Dodge Dart!;) The more curvy style, like the Duster.
Al's Dodge (http://www.bundypage.de/newbundydodge.html)

I remember the episode where he was gonna get a new car, all he had to do was photograph his car and odometer when it rolled over a million, and before it did it popped out of gear and rolled into traffic, I thought it was hillarious.

I like those ford sayings also.

represent618
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
F first
O on
R race
D day

or

First
On
Race
Day

Found
On
Race
Driving

WHAT ABOUT....

FAILED
ON
RACE
DAY

F*CKED
OVER
REBUILT
DODGE

Toadz400
05-23-2005, 07:35 PM
My mom ran her Dodge Stratus without oil in the engine for 15 miles. Finally seized up, put oil in it and it's still running two years later.

Metzroth
05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Ford vs. Chevy will live on forever. It's all about personal preference. I myself like Chevy. But I'm not going to say that all fords are garbage. If you spend a little money fords clean up good. Chevy's come from the factory built right though. That is why they cost more initially and hold their value better. JMO.

Toadz400
05-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
Ford vs. Chevy will live on forever. It's all about personal preference. I myself like Chevy. But I'm not going to say that all fords are garbage. If you spend a little money fords clean up good. Chevy's come from the factory built right though. That is why they cost more initially and hold their value better. JMO.

Our '78 Ford 150 is still running strong, seems that it came from the factory just fine. Only thing that has been replaced was the oil pump, top end was still in pretty much perfect condition (other than the obvious normal wear and tear).

Metzroth
05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I think my biased side is showing :o . Ford is a good truck. So is Chevy.

mxdave28
05-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Ha Ha Ha... We call that the Magnum moment!!!! Dodge sucks big time !

Dead
On
Dam
Garage
Entrance

im a current dodge owner (first one) its a 88 d-100 andi dont mind it..mainly because it was basicly free and in my current money cituation its a LOVELY truck:D anyways, i have now owned alland many different types of vehicles by the big 3 and all i can say about the comment about dodge above..."Dead On Dam Garage Entrance....HAHAHAHA well, at least we make it there.... FORD- Found On Road DEAD!

K-Dub
05-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Well we all know the ford/chevy battle is for second place. The 426 HEMI put Dodge so far out in front, the HEMI can just idle along and never be caught. The 426 HEMI was so good nascrap outlawed after the 1970 season because ford and chevy couldnt match it, ford tried with its own HEMI and failed. Then nascrap had to outlaw the Daytona and Superbird bodies after the 1971 season.
We all know what produces 8000 hp and travels 336mph in 1/4 mile, (Tony Shumacher did it at Columbus,OH sunday) thats right a HEMI still designed after the 426 HEMI of the 60s. Even John Forces fuel funnycar mustang runs a Dodge based HEMI.

05-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Mopars rule!! The old muscle cars did, here are 2 of mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/briansgi/challenger.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/briansgi/cuda.jpg

raptorrider
05-24-2005, 08:33 AM
http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/million_mile.html

Jekyl_22
05-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Well I own a 99' F350 with around 315,000 miles.... I would have MUCH MUCH more, but I totalled it last summer. She ran perfect for her whole life, and even in the afterlife!

After I hit 6 trees and rolled it 2 1/2 times, it still runs! Note: The bed was ripped half way off of the frame, the cab was crushed horribly (6" gap between seat and ceiling in some spots), the truck was upside down for a few hours, the tires were all ripped off of the wheels, but the engine still runs like a champ! You can even drive it if you don't mind hunching over a bit and sticking your head out of the window! :p

P.S. Driving fast is not worth it. Especially when others are riding with you. They are placing their lives in your hands and you are solely responsible for them if you are being an @ss and nearly kill them.

And as for the battle of trucks... if you own a full-sized truck... aren't they designed to pull large loads and have lots of torque? If you want a FAST truck, then go buy a Lightning or an SR10 or whatever...

But.... if you are dumb like me and think that full-sized trucks are for racing :) then you gotta love the handling of the older F350s! Nothing can even touch it! You can rail and slide around corners like it's going out of style. Swaybars and extremely stiff suspension is to thank for that one.

Wow... that brings me back to probably the most fun I ever had driving when I raced a BMW for about 60 miles. Yeah... he dominated me on straights, but I always passed him around corners (you know you are going fast if you are sliding around corners on the freeway). Granted... he should have won, a BMW is probably a little more geared towards racing. But he was kind of a yuppie guy from California that thought driving fast on the straights was cool. I HATE STRAIGHT STRETCH DRIVERS!

(Note: This occured before I almost killed 3 of my close friends in a very horrible accident and learned a lesson the hard way)

Jekyl_22
05-24-2005, 10:56 AM
There are lots of old F350s (the good ol 7.3 liters) with mileage like that and are running strong. It's no miracle story. In our little boondock town, farmers and loggers almost exclusively drive them.

Rastus
05-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, take into consideration that not everyone is going to want a drag car to get groceries in.

Atleast 90% of people that buy cars aren't looking for the fastest one. People will look at the reliability, the features, the looks of the car, and the gas mileage long before the cars full-out speed. I'm not talking about pep. People like some pep and get-up-and-go, but they're not willing to give up their reliability and gas mileage to be the all out fastest.

The reason why the HEMI put out more power is because of the chambers. The HEMIspherical combustion chambers allowed a greater area for combustion. If it could be done, a more square shaped combustion chamber would allow an even greater area of combustion. It's no secret that designs like this make more power, it's pure physics and alittle geometry.

I have respect for the older HEMI's, but the newer ones are over-rated IMO. :ermm:

hemi operator
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Granted, Dodge over-hypes the new hemi. However, a 5.7 liter engine, making 345HP and 390 ft-lbs torque very smoothly and reliably while getting 17 mpg on the highway in the trucks, and 25 in the 300C and Magnum/Charger, as well as meeting emissions standards is pretty impressive.

TheX1992
05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_18577.html

Was looking into buying a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 last night. After reading this post, I did some research and found this page. That car is going right back to the dealership.

bansheeguy77
05-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I remember the episode where he was gonna get a new car, all he had to do was photograph his car and odometer when it rolled over a million, and before it did it popped out of gear and rolled into traffic, I thought it was hillarious.

I like those ford sayings also.

no no, he fell asleep and it backed out of the garage and the odometer rolled over to read 1....greatest show ever....i have a pic of al hanging in my cubicle just pointing at me....makes me laugh and smile whenever i see it :scary:

hemi operator
05-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992
http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_18577.html

Was looking into buying a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 last night. After reading this post, I did some research and found this page. That car is going right back to the dealership.

The Intrepid istself it a good car, other than the 2.7. Look for an ES model with the 3.2 V6. Much better and considerably more powerful motor.

blaster_rider68
05-25-2005, 10:09 AM

i totally agree:D

05-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
YEAH !!!!! Dodges stink like butt !!!

lmfao:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

660rider
05-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
Thats why all I own is FORD...

ford is even more garbage than dodge. chevy is the only way to go and froget all the import junk

SGA
05-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 660rider
ford is even more garbage than dodge. chevy is the only way to go and froget all the import junk

Haha, I saw your other post about the helmet.

Here we go, only a matter of time till you get reported by someone for pissing them off.:D

660rider
05-30-2005, 08:12 PM

what kind of fish head lover r u

chucked
05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Haha, I saw your other post about the helmet.

Here we go, only a matter of time till you get reported by someone for pissing them off.:D

just ban him while were ahead.