PDA

View Full Version : axle nut play?

powerbrad5000
05-21-2005, 07:24 PM
The threaded part that the axle nut and jam nut thread onto moves back and forth on my 400ex. Both nuts are tight, what could be going on? It moves back far enough that the circlip almost shows and the brake rotor moves a little. thanks for your help

JOEX
05-21-2005, 08:40 PM
It's a common occurance when the nuts are loosened the first time.....

Loosen and retighten the nut so everything is inplace then wrap the assembly with electrical tape. I haven't done this myself but many have and they say it works great. If you want something a little prettier then get a pinch bolt type lock nut, C&D Racing sells the Rad nut;)

prepracing
05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
sounds like it just needs tightening, you have to tighten the main axle nut all the way against the clip ( the nut should cover the clip ) once this is done there should be no movement from this piece. Then tighten the larger jam nut against the main axle nut. Lots of people tape them up so that the jam nut will not work loose.

rooster300ex
05-24-2005, 08:22 PM
i've seen people even use a real real mild treadlocker. just don't get the red colored kind its permenant. u have to heat it up too bust it loose.