PDA

View Full Version : Will this hurt the filter?

RideRed04
09-15-2001, 11:13 AM
I cleaned my stock filter with some simple green (holy poop! just spray it on, let it sit while you wash the quad, and spray the filter off, it come out brite yellow! Score!). We have some K&N filter oil, and I oiled it with that. Will this hurt it? If not, I will just keep using that. It is nice, because it is red, and I can see where I put it. I also oiled my air box lid and some of my airbox.

09-15-2001, 12:00 PM
Personally I don't think the simple green would hurt the filter if it was rinsed off soon. As far as the oil goes, I would use a oil designed for foam filters. The K&N oil is for fabric filters. I really like oils in the spray can cause it's so easy to apply. Just be sure to check inside the intake tube going to the carb when you remove the filter. Run your finger inside and if you find any dust/mud you know the filter isn't doing it's job. ;)

RideRed04
09-15-2001, 01:05 PM
I wasnt woried about the simple green, UNI even suggests it on their website. It is a de-greeser, and works really well. I was just wondering if the gauze oil will hurt a foam filter. I was just using the k&n untill I can some foam filter oil.

BANSHEEadam
09-15-2001, 03:25 PM
on the subject of air filters.... i took my rear plastic off to wash it and saw that my air filter has quite a bit of mud in it.... what is the best way to clean it? would it be ok to just spray it with a hose... and how long should i wait to start ridin again after i do?
sorry i dont have much air filter knowledge...:confused:

09-15-2001, 04:32 PM
I think the K&N oil would get you by until you were able to get some foam filter oil. Another option is useing clean motor oil something lightweight if you have any. Just apply it evenly over the filter without making it too "soppy". Carefully wring it out to remove any excess oil. As far as the best way to clean a foam filter is too remove it from the quad, and remove the wire "can" in the inside. Soak the filter in hot soapy water or maybe simple green. Rinse it till you see no traces of dirty water. Let it dry naturally overnite or so. Make sure the filter is completely dry, reoil. Reinstall the wire "can" and install the filter back on the quad. Your engine will preform better with a clean filter and last longer thus.....keeping it's rider happy:) Hope this helps

RideRed04
09-15-2001, 04:57 PM
That is pretty much what I did, but I just let the simple green soak in the filter while I washed my quad. I couldnt believe how clean it came. My filter was black with dust and mud, and it was yellow when I sprayed it off with the hose. Now it is red/orangeish because of the k&n airfilter.

BANSHEEadam
09-15-2001, 05:15 PM
i guess i forgot to say that my air filter is a k&n. same way as a stock filter?

RideRed04
09-15-2001, 06:51 PM
Here is their website.. might be something there. http://www.knfilters.com/

4punksdad
09-16-2001, 07:19 AM
I can tell you this from experience. DO NOT USE PAPER FILTER OIL ON FOAM FILTERS.

After a few cleanings I noticed my bike was running like crap. Lots of time passed until I found my problem. The filter oil was passing through the filter & gumming up the carb! There was filter oil ALL over the inside of my carb & it took forever to get it cleaned up.

I was out of foam filter oil & wanted to use up a can of paper filter oil I had,,,,,,,,,,,I was figuring "oil is oil"..........I was dead wrong. I will only use foam filter oil from here on out.

Furthermore............the uni foam filter cleaner acts & smells like GO-JO hand cleaner. I will try using this as filter cleaner once I run short on uni-brand cleaner. Just make sure you don't use the hand cleaner with pumice additive.........that grit could be deadly!

RideRed04
09-16-2001, 10:28 AM
What do you mean by paper filter oil? You dont oil paper filters. where you using a guaze type filter oil (k&n?) If so, I will wash my filter and use some motor oil untill I get some foam oil.

4punksdad
09-16-2001, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
What do you mean by paper filter oil? You dont oil paper filters. where you using a guaze type filter oil (k&n?) If so, I will wash my filter and use some motor oil untill I get some foam oil.

yeah....it was K&N filter oil.........spray on type.