PDA

View Full Version : Low Compression

spliffy
05-21-2002, 03:18 PM
What Happens To A Motor When You Have Low Compression.... My Buddys Wheeler Starts Good, Doesn't Blow Any Smoke Except For On Startup For the First 30 Seconds (White Smoke Not Blue & That Seems Common With A 250x, Maybe Just Carbon Burn?) Or So But Has Lost Alot Of Power It Seems..... Could This Be A Compression Problem? He Hasn't Changed Anything, Just Lately It Seems Weak & Not Alot Of Power On It.... Carb Is Clean Cuz I was Thinking Clogged Jet Or Something But We Took Care Of That Potential Problem..... I Told Him Maybe The Time Has Come To Get A New Piston & Bore It To Get Back The Compression..... But I Figured It Wouldnt Hurt To Ask First... So Anyone Have An Answer For Me? I Would Think Low Compression Would Mean Lower Power..... But.... I Would Also Figure Low Compression Would Mean It Wouldn't Start So Easy Too.

02REDEXRIDER
05-21-2002, 05:24 PM
sounds like it maybe. take the spark plug out and put a compression checker on the hole and turn it over. if you don't have one stick your finger over the hole and it should blow it off.

spliffy
05-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Ya My Compression Tester Dont Go Down That Far In Size.. A 17mm The Only Sizes I Have Are For Car Engines & Sleds....But I Spose I Can Try The Seat Of The Pants Way By Putting My Finger On It :p

nakomis0
05-21-2002, 08:19 PM
White smoke? What colors the spark plug?

05-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Ya My Compression Tester Dont Go Down That Far In Size.. A 17mm The Only Sizes I Have Are For Car Engines

Go to where you get your tools and buy an adapter, and there pretty cheap too.

spliffy
05-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Spark Plug Is Brown , The Jetting Is Fine We Have Checked That.... Also The Comp Tester I Have Is A Friends Homemade Jobby & I Have looked For An Adapter That Will Fit.... No Luck... maybe I Will Just have Him Run Down To The Honda Dealer & have Them Check The Comp For Him... I Cant Imagine They Would Charge Him Much.... If At All..... Thanks All

Rastus
05-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Is the engine sounding loud? It could be much more, just check the basics first.(mine smokes white at start-up too.Dont know why.It smokes white for about 2 1/2 seconds, then quits)

spliffy
05-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Yep.... Everything Seems Good With It... Valves Are Adjusted Right .004 Clearance On Em All , All Jets & Carb Clean Etc...... Its Just Weird... I Just Told Him To Bring It To the Dealer & Havem Check Compression , Could Just Be That Time......... To Spend A Little Cash On It :blah