PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of the "slide pin" on the rear brake caliper?

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I just bought a used 400ex. I found that the rear brake pads needed replaced. So, I started replacing the pads and while looking through my service manual I noticed a pin/bolt they had listed as a "slider pin". I know there are the two bolts that the service manual calls "pad pins" (the pins that run through the brake pads) and I understand there purpose in life, but I'm not quite sure I know what the purpose of the "slider pin" is. Its one 8mm allen head pin/bolt, if your standing at the back of the quad its on the left hand side of the caliper. It doesn't really say too much about it in my service manual.

400exrules
05-20-2005, 05:35 PM
are you talkin about the long bolt sticking out on the left side of the caliper, that is horizontal?

if so, i think it has something to do with the parking brake

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
No, it's not that bolt. It's right behind that one though. Toward the top of the brake caliper right behind the parking brake bolt you're looking at. Its has a black rubber boot surrounding it.

chucked
05-20-2005, 06:13 PM
its so the outside pad moves in also, not just the inside one. It allows the caliper to "float" on the disk. All disk brake systems have them

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 06:37 PM
This bolt is on the piston side of the caliper. It doesn't touch the brake pads. If you're standing behind the quad it is on the left hand side of the caliper, at the top, behind the parking brake. You're saying this bolt helps the outside pad float? I'm not questioning you, I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. My manual calls it a "Brake Caliper Slide Pin" there are also two other pins that run through the pads called "boot pins" in the service manual. I'm not talking about the "pad pins". Do I not need to worry about this bolt. Do I just tighten it down and forget about it, or does it have some type of adjustment purpose?

chucked
05-20-2005, 07:14 PM
can you get a pic?

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
I got a pic from the manual. Lets see I can post it........ The part is labled "slide pin". You're looking at the left half of the brake caliper standing at the back of the quad.

chucked
05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
it allows the caliper so move, if it was solid, only the inside pad would hit the disk. IT allows the pads to clamp onto the disk

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Ok thanks for the help. How do I know if I got this guy tightend or set correctly? Do I just tighten it down like any other bolt or is there some adjusting that goes along with it?

chucked
05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I dont know why it would be lose, but yea just tighten it up, its an allen wrench i believe.

BUCKWHEAT12
05-20-2005, 07:47 PM
That's what I guess I was confused on. Was it a part that gets cranked down like any other normal bolt or was it some type of adjustment screw/bolt. I'll just tighten it down and forget about it. Thanks again.