View Full Version : 450r vs. cannondale

MR.BIG
05-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Is the cannondale faster than a 450r?

05-20-2005, 02:50 PM
win they are running.. a little bit quicker

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Stock for stock the cdale is faster. My cdale is completely stock. The last time I raced a 450r it wasn't even a contest. He didn't have the hrc kit and I think he might have had the stock pipe still. With the hrc kit and a pipe, it might be a little closer to a stock cdale.

JRDrider22
05-20-2005, 04:01 PM
also depends on the rider. personally.. i think cannondales are extremely reliable everywhere, but if you cant work it..your not going to win

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Agreed! Rider is a huge part of it. Something else to think about is that every machine is different. One 450r might be faster than another. I have experienced this with my old 400ex and another friends 400ex. We raced and then switched machines and raced again. His was still faster.

05-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
Agreed! Rider is a huge part of it. Something else to think about is that every machine is different. One 450r might be faster than another. I have experienced this with my old 400ex and another friends 400ex. We raced and then switched machines and raced again. His was still faster. I agree on that (seen it with the same cars too). Alot of it I think has to deal with the way it was broken in and how old/new it is

dtmichau
05-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree with the above as well, a buddy of mine sold his old LE Craptor to his friend. Then he regretted it and bought a new one. The new one was faster and they were both stock. Just one of those things i guess. The old one had a lot of problems and had to have the top end rebuilt, and after that it ran clean and pulled hard. But the new one was still faster.

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
I agree on that (seen it with the same cars too). Alot of it I think has to deal with the way it was broken in and how old/new it is

Its funny you say that. We were thinking the same thing. When he got his 400ex (about 2 months before me), he brought it home and rode the piss out of it. He didn't really break it in. Later when I got mine, I did the gentle break in only 1/2 throttle up and down through the gears for a tank of gas or whatever. Mine was faster than most other stockers around. His was definitely faster than mine. I could finally keep up with him when I put my pro circuit pipe on.

On another note, his brother bought a new 450r. I guess he got a slow one b/c it got raped by the 400ex more than one time and after they switched machines. Then the 450r blew. We thought for sure that once it was fixed that it would be like most other 450rs. Not the case. It was still a turd. I guess when you get the extremes it can definitely make that slower quad look bad. Since his brother was the first one with a 450r around our town, nobody else will have anything to do with one b/c they think the 400ex is just as good but reliable.

450Rcarbonpro
05-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I have a fully built 450r that will stomp any cdale. I also have a modded cdale and I drag race both. Look you can't compare a 450r with a stock pipe as the cdale has a hmf pipe on it. If you put an original stock cdale pipe, they are square, on and the 450r wins. You put a hmf on both machines they are nearly even. The cdale could win with a really good rider, but even. I win on which ever bike I ride. But then I had the heads ported and the honda smokes it now badly. Sorry cdale boys. I also have a big valve kit with stiffer springs. Soon My honda will be a full blown nmotion 520 at about 60 hp. My honda dynoed at 53.2 hp. But truth be told my built YFZ 450 will smoke both quads easily and running away. That yfz motor is easy to build and a rocket. I have only about a grand in it. My honda has over 3000 into the motor.

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 450Rcarbonpro
I have a fully built 450r that will stomp any cdale. I also have a modded cdale and I drag race both. Look you can't compare a 450r with a stock pipe as the cdale has a hmf pipe on it. If you put an original stock cdale pipe, they are square, on and the 450r wins. You put a hmf on both machines they are nearly even. The cdale could win with a really good rider, but even. I win on which ever bike I ride. But then I had the heads ported and the honda smokes it now badly. Sorry cdale boys. I also have a big valve kit with stiffer springs. Soon My honda will be a full blown nmotion 520 at about 60 hp. My honda dynoed at 53.2 hp. But truth be told my built YFZ 450 will smoke both quads easily and running away. That yfz motor is easy to build and a rocket. I have only about a grand in it. My honda has over 3000 into the motor.

LOL....you can't compare a fully built 450r to a nearly stock cdale. Like I said earlier...I have drag raced a stock 450r with my stock cdale and it wasn't even close. I have the toaster exhaust. Have you raced that fully built 450r against a 468 ultimate from Haydug? I'm not trying to start anything here but just telling my experience. You might want to go ahead and read what I wrote above about the differences in the same quad from the factory. This could explain why I have beat the hondas that I have raced.

450Rcarbonpro
05-20-2005, 08:43 PM
plus the cdale is a built engine. All the jap bikes are consumer level motors with race potential. They have much more potential than the cdale as the cdale motor is close to its max potential. This is the name of the game. Cdale are mostly tapped out. The honda motor and yamaha motor stock are what they should be. Also I was heavily into my cdale when the yfz's came out. It broke my heart when the yfz's started spanking me at the sand dunes. All it takes is a yfz with a pipe and air filter. 300 bones to whoop cannondale ***.

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 08:49 PM
plus the cdale is a built engine. All the jap bikes are consumer level motors with race potential. They have much more potential than the cdale as the cdale motor is close to its max potential. This is the name of the game. Cdale are mostly tapped out. The honda motor and yamaha motor stock are what they should be. Also I was heavily into my cdale when the yfz's came out. It broke my heart when the yfz's started spanking me at the sand dunes. All it takes is a yfz with a pipe and air filter. 300 bones to whoop cannondale ***.

List of mods please. When we came out west to ride at Glamis, nobody at Olds could beat an HDC 450. We didn't even have to to break out the 468. Now I will say that it was the weekend before Presidents Day so it was dead. I know there are some sick quads out there on the good weekends but that weekend nobody could beat Haydug on that 450. The guy on a modded yfz kept trying and trying. I think he eventually got pi$$ed and left.

450Rcarbonpro
05-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I don't know about that..........................it was the rider. If you have the square exhaust my honda will beat you. Once again I know all about cdales as I own one. The cdale is a built race engine, get it out of your head that it is stock. They have 46 hp the stock honda has 34 or 36. Pipe it, jet it, port it. Build the honda motor equally and you get a different story. Both have mid 40's hp. You must work off of an equal playing field.

jesshamner
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
You may be right about it being the rider. I thought I mentioned something about that already. Are you a member of cannondaleriders.com? What mods do you have on the cdale? And again...I said stock for stock the cdale is faster. You think they built the 450r for trails? They built it for the same reason cannondale built the quads for. There are several things you can do to a cannondale. Why do you keep saying its tapped out? You may not have as many options as a honda but Honda is much larger than Cannondale ever thought about being. Of course people are going to offer options for a Honda. There is just no money for aftermarket companies and motor builders in cdales.

wistech
05-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Is the cannondale faster than a 450r?
Yep even the most factory detuned Dales are faster.

raptor_02
05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
i know this is way off the topic but a YFZ with an exhaust, airfilter, rejetted carb, and the exhaust cam retarded will smoke anything out there, i mean ANYTHING!!!!

duke416ex
05-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by raptor_02
i know this is way off the topic but a YFZ with an exhaust, airfilter, rejetted carb, and the exhaust cam retarded will smoke anything out there, i mean ANYTHING!!!!

No, it won't.:rolleyes: If you honestly think that a yzf with those mods is the baddest quad out there, then you need to get out more, a lot more.

raptorrider
05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
The YFZ (Cam mod, Opened Air box, K&N, Jetted, baffel removed) wouldnt beat my stock Blaze.

450Rcarbonpro
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Put a slip on say a hmf and I guarantee I will smoke you stock baze by exactly 2 bike lengths. I have done it many many of times.

sampleez
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
that might be true, but the blaze was what... 9 grand

rancid
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
i have a black 03 canibal with slipon and moto/speed map and the atk motor updates and my first weekend out after break in was last weekend at little sahara, ut and the little bit of runs i made there were alot of 450r,s and yfz 450,s and even though the yfz,s are a bit hard the hondas were even easier and this is only second time on the machine and thats a near stock canibal not a moto or speed and from what im told the atk are even faster. and i also own a yfz450 and i think its an awsome quad just not a dale. so dont get to mad at this i am not stuck on just one brand. as soon as ktm gets a quad out its mine.

wistech
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Put a slip on say a hmf and I guarantee I will smoke you stock baze by exactly 2 bike lengths. I have done it many many of times.

What map was he running? A blaze map is traction map with a very soft low end. Its the worst map for drag racing but excelent for long distance racing. It wont tire the rider out after several hours of gnc racing. Have him install one of the drag maps and try again . Be aware some of these maps can make a stock engine have more power than most modded quads but can destroy the motor in the process. They sure are fun to try out though . Besides mild porting and changing to the fx400 pistons will give the same results reliably without having to rev the engine around 12000 rpm.

T2RACING
06-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
win they are running.. a little bit quicker

This Quote says it all.. I rode with about 30 C dales a couple of weeks back and yes they will out run the 450r.. Mine is stock in the motor dept though and a hell of a lot more inexpensive than most of these guys paid for their dales.. Give me the xtra 4 thousand they paid and it wouldnt get touched.. also if it aint runnin it is easy to out run...ha ha.. j/k

Dale512
06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
People talk about the prices that the bikes went for when Cannondale was still in business that was nearly 2 years ago about 85% of the dales out there now were bought for 3500-4000 brand new as left overs once the company went out of business. I have a Speed with HMF Full Exhaust & Moto/Speed II TPS110 Fuel Mapping and my YFZ has a HMF Full Exhaust, UNI Airfilter, Jetting, & Cam Mod. The YFZ slightly pulls it up top and the Speed has so much more torque and bottomend than the YFZ that its unreal.

Also 450Rcarbonpro what mods does your C-dale have?

duke416ex
06-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rancid
as soon as ktm gets a quad out its mine. [/B]

That is what I am thinking, I got a 400 and a dale right now. I am just waiting for ktm to drop a bomb. I figure they might step it up with that 525 motor. I love my 400, and the thing about it is that especially for xc it can still be competitive. The cdale has a lot more power, to much for the woods almost, esp in tight trails. As far as the price, right now a used dale is bout 2k less than a used 450 and will out run the 450, and it has more options on it. Just b/c a 450 outruns one dale doesn't mean it will get them all, most of it is rider anyway.

450Rcarbonpro
06-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Look I have raced dales with many maps. Moto, speed, a moto speed hybrid, x440, nacs, and on and on...................... My yfz always wins. I have my honda built now and it smokes the yami. Yes what money will do! Also I have raced many differently built cannondale motors and one 460 fully built. Same result though. What type of numbers are you getting on the dyno Dale512. My honda motor posted a 53.2! It is still a 11:1 compression. Will soon have a sparks 13.5.1.......................see ya

jesshamner
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Again, what mods do you have on your cannondale?

Dale512
06-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Dunno never dynoed either of them.

I'll ask again what mods does your C-dale have?

WhiteZee
06-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
lol, this reminds me of monday at bucksrun. badass on his cam modded, piped, no lid yfz wants to run kyex40047. he got his 450r on wednesday, so it was still 100% bone stock with the exception of a 13t sprocket. when i say stock, i mean with the baffle/sparky still in. the yfz couldnt pull more then 2 quads at any time from 0-mid 4th gear. i thought this was pretty dam funny.

ps. i understand a correctly setup cam modded yfz should have put bus lengths on a stock 450r.

dragracer7
06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
I raced a modified cdale with paddles on my buddies piped 450r without paddle and it was really close if i had paddles i would have won.

jesshamner
06-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I stumbled on this pic while looking at my glamis shots. This is Haydug racing some guy on a yfz. The guy just wouldn't give up and kept getting embarrassed like this.:devil:

450Racer
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
stock for stock comparisons don't seem very fair with these conditions. the honda motor is very mild and is actually made for the trails, dunes, and track. the moto440, hm, moto, MX? the C-Dales had technology built in them Honda wouldn't dream of. i'm not taking anything away from Honda but they don't build out of the box race quads, C-Dale did. so when you say stock, you're saying fuel injection, mapping, aftermarket exhaust, higher compression piston, all of that. the stock Honda has a 10.5:1 piston, 89db pea shooter pipe and a carb. if you upgraded the R to the mods the C-Dale has, it would easy blow it away. i wouldn't call the C-Dale a "stock" bike because they're race ready out of the box. they're more like race-prepped.

jesshamner
06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer
stock for stock comparisons don't seem very fair with these conditions. the honda motor is very mild and is actually made for the trails, dunes, and track. the moto440, hm, moto, MX? the C-Dales had technology built in them Honda wouldn't dream of. i'm not taking anything away from Honda but they don't build out of the box race quads, C-Dale did. so when you say stock, you're saying fuel injection, mapping, aftermarket exhaust, higher compression piston, all of that. the stock Honda has a 10.5:1 piston, 89db pea shooter pipe and a carb. if you upgraded the R to the mods the C-Dale has, it would easy blow it away. i wouldn't call the C-Dale a "stock" bike because they're race ready out of the box. they're more like race-prepped.

You should take a look at the specs on the Cannondale Cannibal. Seems like a fair enough comparison to me. It didn't have the pipe, shocks, nerfs, brakes, number plates, bars,...etc. It was your typical quad with no race stuff. I think its a good standard to compare to the new 450s.

happyboy
06-07-2005, 09:01 AM
450Racer, but that is what everyone wants to discuss. Stock vs. stock. Yes, the cdale is faster stock vs. stock. But, you can start modding anything and beat it. That is the nature of this game. Anything can be faster.

I just like to ride......and argue with BIG!

happyboy
06-07-2005, 09:06 AM
I have a dale that has less than 2k in it and it is still a 432cc. I will put it up against any other 450 4 stroke out there with up to 3x the money in them. I am sure there will be something out there that will beat it, but for the most part it hauls butt!!

450Rcarbonpro
06-07-2005, 02:32 PM
My honda will smoke anything you can send my way. If I put even 2g's into a honda or yamaha motor you would not even come close to it. It would flat embarace you. You just can't compete with the likes of big bore and stroking either of those motors. Cdales are fun to ride and fast but when all motors are fully built without reguard to a budget the cannondale comes in last by a mile! Sorry!

450Rcarbonpro
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM

happyboy
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
um...wouldn't doubt....but you can say the same about a 250R or a banshee.....spend lots of cash on those and you can't touch it. lol, I don't know why this arguement always goes round and round. It always comes down to who has the most money to put into it.

and like you said....money makes the diff. Take it back to stock and where are you at?

TheJaspMan
06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
My honda will smoke anything you can send my way. If I put even 2g's into a honda or yamaha motor you would not even come close to it. It would flat embarace you. You just can't compete with the likes of big bore and stroking either of those motors. Cdales are fun to ride and fast but when all motors are fully built without reguard to a budget the cannondale comes in last by a mile! Sorry!

Is that 'embrace' or 'embarrass'? I really don't want to be hugged. Then I really WOULD be embarrassed!

450Rcarbonpro
06-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Yes Mr. english teacher!

rancid
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
that was not a yes or no ?

jesshamner
06-08-2005, 08:55 AM
LMAO.:huh

loc_mon
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a 2003 250EX with a few mods, do you think I have a chance against the Cannondale or 450R, I do pretty good against quads on the drag strip in Glamis.

duke416ex
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by loc_mon
I have a 2003 250EX with a few mods, do you think I have a chance against the Cannondale or 450R, I do pretty good against quads on the drag strip in Glamis. :huh :huh

TheJaspMan
06-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a 2003 250EX with a few mods, do you think I have a chance against the Cannondale or 450R, I do pretty good against quads on the drag strip in Glamis.

I think so.

Here is a trick that will help out. Simply drain all the fuel from the Cdale and 450r prior to the race. You stand a pretty good chance that way.

:uhoh:

sweet300ex
06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
the only way you have a chance is if you race them in reverse;)

Out_Sider
06-08-2005, 10:14 PM
i got my 330 clocked at 18mph in reverse :cool:

no joke either