PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear is gone

400 EX FREAK
05-20-2005, 01:18 PM
my 3rd gear on my 400 is completely gone and my second gear is goin out too, i know i've been pullin in the clutch when i'm shifting, what am i doin wrong!

own3d
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
its probly just a shift fork. be preparded to spend some serious money on labor for it/ it cost 400 bux to spit the case on my rm 125 to replace a shift fork. plus more money for parts. we ended up buying a engine off ebay for 400 though.

prepracing
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
doubt its the shift fork, those 2 gears are notorius for wearing out if you ride/race a lot ( clutch or no clutch ). Don't know if you've ever seen the gears or not but you would be amazed at how little wear it takes for the gears to start slipping to the point they will not pull at all. My 2nd and 3rd went out also and I split the case myself and by looking at the gears I could not see anything wrong, I took them by my local shop and he showed me the wear points, so they ordered me new 2nd and 3rd and when I looked at the new gears I thought to myself theres no way that little wear is causing the problem. But I put them in and put it all back together ( man was it frustrating ) and as usuall the professional was right and I was still scratching my head in disbelief.