PDA

View Full Version : K&N Recharge on UNI Foam Filter?

soltvedt
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
I have limited resources in my small town for buying products for my quad. The only filter oil available in my town comes in a K&N Recharge kit that they are selling at the parts store for $11.00

I want to clean my UNI foam air filter today or tomorrow, and I was wondering if I can use the K&N Recharge kit to clean and/or oil my foam filter.

Will the K&N oil have adverse affects on my foam filter? Will it not work right if I use it? Or is it bascially the same stuff as foam filter oil?

PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST THAT I GO BUY THE PROPER FOAM FILTER OIL FOR $5.00 BECAUSE IF I HAD A STORE HERE THAT SOLD IT, I WOULD BUY IT. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, IT'S ABOUT WHAT'S AVAILABLE LOCALLY.

300exOH
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
You may be risking some damage to the engine. The K&N stuff is intended for a gauze type filter so it may not work well. You can order the right oil for a foam filter online and probably save a few $ too.;)

soltvedt
05-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Are you sure it's not the same stuff just in a different can?

300exOH
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm not positive but I do know that the foam filter spray seems much stickier than the K&N stuff. Personally I wouldn't take a chance. The 2 types of filter are made of different material so the wrong oil could eat the filter. I'm not saying that will happen but who knows.

red2004 TRX450R
05-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Just use motor oil until u can get the right stuff.

My old Honda (87) stated in the manual to use 10w/40
I think the foam oil is better but motor oil will work in a pinch.