PDA

View Full Version : I got an offer last night, need help deciding.

Steve-O Maximo
05-20-2005, 04:19 AM
My nieghbor currently has a full blown 400ex. It's a nice ride. He currently has it in the shop fixing the blown valve cover gasket. Upon doing this, one of his buddies needed some help with a quad of his. It's a `93 300ex? I believe it's a `93. Last night the redid the entire front end, bearings, shocks, brakes, bushings, the whole shibang. He just rebuilt the motor, including the bottom end. Now, he told me, he'd take my blaster as an even up trade. I'm not sure what I should do here. The ex is a nice looking quad, but it's also a `93 if I'm correct. Which would be the better trail/woods thrasher? Not that I'll kill either, but me and a few buddies like breakin` new trails my woodlands behind my place. I like the ex, but I'm not sure which would be better. I do like the idea of having an R gear, but the blaster takes nothing to turn around considering I probably outwiegh it. Ok maybe not, but it's still very light feeling compared to the ex.

What are your thoughts on a `93 300ex, and a `99 Blaster? Which one is better for trail riding/small hillclimbing/well rounded riding? Which one is going to last the longest through some rigid trail riding? And of course, which one is better to teach a new rider on? My fiancee has no idea on how to use a clutch, I'm afraid she'd kill herself on the blaster once she hit that powerband, but a 300ex is aweful powerful for a novice rider as well.

Thanks ahead of time,
Steve-O

bradley300
05-20-2005, 06:22 AM
i'd say to most people that arent in love with either quad, there about as equal as you can get. if you like your blaster, i'd say there is no reason to trade unless you would just like something different.

300exr
05-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Ive got a question, ive noticed that alot of the 240 bore kits for blasters are claiming to pump out upper 30's hp rating, so do you think that a 240 blaster would outrun a z400 due to its lightweight and power???

wantablaster
05-20-2005, 02:17 PM
ya it should run beat z400s wit a 240 kit cus my bros had a 240 it was ported and polished piped alot of other things done to the motor and it beat piped 400exs and ran wit banshees hes a really good rider though

MR.BIG
05-20-2005, 02:34 PM
The honda is a better trail machine because has reverse and those things are bullet proof. The honda has better suspension, better brakes. If you plan on hoping it up that's a different story because 4 strokes aren't cheap to build up.

Steve-O Maximo
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
It'll most likely have minor mods, if any. I think I'll take the honda personally. :) It's a nice bike as well, and reverse will turn me into a monkey, not having to get off to go backwards will lazy me out, I like that idea. lol

300exr
05-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmmm, Im sorta pondering the idea of tryin a blaster. My friend up the street got one the other day and its kinda quick but still way different than my 300, I rode it and it felt small however im pretty small for a 15yr old, the power seems ok low and weak up top but it seems to keep just keep pulling in 6th though. Thers so many things goin through my head cuz wit 4strokes you dont gotta worry about top ends, but if you wanna mod them its hard, 2 strokes take alot less money and time it seems to do up motors. I know I should appreciate what I have, its just kinda appealing to me to have a crazy fast little quad like a blaster, someone please give me some advice, especially anybody who owns a blaster.

bradley300
05-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 300exr
Ive got a question, ive noticed that alot of the 240 bore kits for blasters are claiming to pump out upper 30's hp rating, so do you think that a 240 blaster would outrun a z400 due to its lightweight and power??? here is a dyno of a 200cc blaster, these are very common numbers, so see for yourself

bradley300
05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
depending on the builder, you can get around 38-42 horse out of a blaster, but the best gain is the torque

that dyno was a blaster built by snyder motorsports www.snydermotorsports.net

bradley300
05-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
The honda is a better trail machine because has reverse and those things are bullet proof. The honda has better suspension, better brakes. If you plan on hoping it up that's a different story because 4 strokes aren't cheap to build up.

the 88-02 blasters had horrible brakes, but the 03 to present have excellent brakes, they feel even better than my 300ex brakes did

bradley300
05-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 300exr
Hmmm, Im sorta pondering the idea of tryin a blaster. My friend up the street got one the other day and its kinda quick but still way different than my 300, I rode it and it felt small however im pretty small for a 15yr old, the power seems ok low and weak up top but it seems to keep just keep pulling in 6th though. Thers so many things goin through my head cuz wit 4strokes you dont gotta worry about top ends, but if you wanna mod them its hard, 2 strokes take alot less money and time it seems to do up motors. I know I should appreciate what I have, its just kinda appealing to me to have a crazy fast little quad like a blaster, someone please give me some advice, especially anybody who owns a blaster.

you should only have to rebuild it twice a year, and once you have the process down, it will barely take you two hours.

300exr
05-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Thats one of the things I was wondering, because I know how to do top ends because I used to do them on my YZ125, it took me like 3 hours. one other thing though, since the blaster is air cooled, does that make having a high performance motor risky?

bradley300
05-21-2005, 07:36 AM
i have talked to gthunder and snyder motorsports about thisnot to long ago and they agreed that as long as the head is done right, heat wont be an issue

300exr
05-21-2005, 08:00 AM
as in done right what do you mean

bradley300
05-21-2005, 10:17 AM
the stock head is a poor design, the head is usally decked ans rechamberd along with the porting. the combustion chamber is totaly re-shaped for a much more effiecient, powerful motor. the better the job the engine builder does on it, the better (cooler) the motor will run

300exr
05-21-2005, 03:38 PM
OK, I was lookin at the Vitos 240 complete kit that comes with the cylinder and head, etc, thats about $600, n I guess that doesnt require a modification on the head right?

bradley300
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
the vito's is a bolt on kit. also look at the ct kit, most say its the best one performance wise.