PDA

View Full Version : anybody here have satellite radio?

deathman53
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I need help with satellite radio, I went to two stores and was told different things,one store told me I had to buy a new radio, xm reciever, car base and some other stuff. can anybody help me out with what I need, I don't want to get ripped off and buy stuff I don't need. and the vehicle is 99 nission frontier with the standard radio and speakers(and I don't plan on upgrading unless I have to)

JUSTINcredible
05-19-2005, 06:58 PM
just my opinon, but i wouldent get it at all. My mom had it for a 3 month free trial when she bought her Impalla last year, and i would rather listen to the local radio stations or cds. The only thing that I could see myself using it for is cross country travel, other than that I say its a waste.:ermm:

JLanphear
05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
We have XM. On the newer units you don't need anything more than a standard radio, as they have an FM modulator built in. You plug the unit into your AC port (cig lighter), and get the antenna hooked up, and that's it. It plays through your FM radio.

-Josh

deathman53
05-19-2005, 07:36 PM
I just saw that system on xm's page, I guess best buy is a bunch of liars and more interested in selling me alot of stuff I don't need.

chucked
05-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I need help with satellite radio, I went to two stores and was told different things,one store told me I had to buy a new radio, xm reciever, car base and some other stuff. can anybody help me out with what I need, I don't want to get ripped off and buy stuff I don't need. and the vehicle is 99 nission frontier with the standard radio and speakers(and I don't plan on upgrading unless I have to)

I have xm, I love it, best thing Ive ever bought.

You have two options, One, you can get the roady 2, and a FM modulator, what that basically does it receives the signal from the satellite then puts it at a frequency, so you will tune your radio to 87.9 or whatever.

or you can get a pioneer head unit and get the separate receiver, this is what I have, it displays the band on the screen of the head unit, Only reason I got this one is because I already has a pioneer head unit. I would have got the roady because you can transmit to anything with a radio.

chucked
05-19-2005, 07:42 PM
btw xm just hit 4 million subscribers, they must be a huge waste of money :rolleyes:

derekhonda
05-20-2005, 12:12 AM
we have it in our golf cart !

Tom TRX250R
05-20-2005, 01:52 AM
just my opinon, but i wouldent get it at all. My mom had it for a 3 month free trial when she bought her Impalla last year, and i would rather listen to the local radio stations or cds. The only thing that I could see myself using it for is cross country travel, other than that I say its a waste.

SH!!T!!! XM is sweet!! I thank my self for getting it everytime I get in my truck. They have a hilarious comedy station and several different stations to listen to. The plus thing. NO COMMERCIALS!!:eek2:

250xridamatt
05-20-2005, 06:11 AM
I have sirius satelite radio and I love it. We have it in my moms truck, and it came in my dads car. I can take the receiver out of my moms car, and put it in this boombox in my room. Thus i have sirius radio in my house too, its awesome.

insaneracin2003
05-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Sirius is the shiznick!!!!

Zingnut
05-20-2005, 07:38 AM
We have both XM equipt 05 Honda Odyssey and I have a Sirius Sportster that I move from my two trucks. I would have to say that the Satellite radio is the best thing to come out for any one who travels or has lots of seat time in a vehicle. I will never be without it from now on. Of the two services I would have to saya nd my wiffe agrees that the Sirius programming and personalities are far better than those of the XM side. Sirius you pay one fee and get all the stations where XM you have to purchase packages. Hope this helps, and just my opinion. ~Jeff

insaneracin2003
05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
We have both XM equipt 05 Honda Odyssey and I have a Sirius Sportster that I move from my two trucks. I would have to say that the Satellite radio is the best thing to come out for any one who travels or has lots of seat time in a vehicle. I will never be without it from now on. Of the two services I would have to saya nd my wiffe agrees that the Sirius programming and personalities are far better than those of the XM side. Sirius you pay one fee and get all the stations where XM you have to purchase packages. Hope this helps, and just my opinion. ~Jeff
agreed,Sirius sportster is the way to go

chad502ex
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
i have Sirius stock- does that count? hehe.

Braff1
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
We have the sirius sportster. Just plug in the power cord to your cigarette lighter and tune your radio 94.5 fm. They are really nice for the long trips on the way to races.

insaneracin2003
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
you can actually use any open frequency on your stereo,i use 88.1

300exOH
05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
How is the sound with the sirius sportster using the FM modulator? I have been thinking about getting one for a while now.

I have sirius from DISH network at home and I think it is much better than FM.

SixthFloorFreak
05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Sirius > XM

XM took off the only good station they had, Liquid Metal

Zingnut
05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
300exOH
The sound from the Sportster Sirius unit is great till the FM frequency on that station comes in stronger than you get static but with a few trips I have found a frequency that is strong for most of the tri-states I travel. Other than changing the FM frequency which is a cake walk the unit sounds as good as the installed head unit.

300exOH
05-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
300exOH
The sound from the Sportster Sirius unit is great till the FM frequency on that station comes in stronger than you get static but with a few trips I have found a frequency that is strong for most of the tri-states I travel. Other than changing the FM frequency which is a cake walk the unit sounds as good as the installed head unit.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be picking one up soon. :devil:

jeepboyny
05-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I just got a Roady2 last week. Seems pretty good so far, PLUS!! You can go to www.xmradio.com and print out a form when you buy some of the XM radios and send in the form, copy of receipt, and the UPC code off the box to get a FREE Roady2! This is going on until July.

You don't need to buy the FM modulator for it unless the 10 or so frequencies that the unit will transmit on are being used by local stations. I've found that if you tune into the station you have the Roady2 set for with any radio up to a few hundred feet away and it will pick it up, so if you have a friend following you or whatever, he can listen too.

sylvan56473
05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/2004_products/Sirius/SIRPNP.html

This is the only way to go!
SIRIUS:muscle: