PDA

View Full Version : workshop safety

Stevie-D
05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
i replaced all four struts on my brothers chevy beretta. took the fronts apart last week, had to wait until today to borrow a coil spring compressor. so today i'm bolting the front strut assembly back on. i was tightening a large nut with a 1'2 drive foot and a half long breaker bar. the car was supported by two jackstands, one under each frame rail. i was pulling the breaker bar towards me(sitting on a milk crate) and it force pulled the car right off of the stands. i could see it start to sway, so i tried to get out of the way. i couldn't get out of the way quick enough, and the fender landed on my knee. took a nice chunk out of it. have several bruises and scrapes on my legs also. im just glad that it didn't land on my knee . it could have done some very serious damage.

i got the car jacked back up, pulled out the one jack stand, and it was flattened. it had fallen on its side and gotten crushed by the frame. me and my bro got a good chuckle out of that.

well, just thought i would share. maybe it'll help someone from making the same mistake that i did

250rAL
05-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Always chock the wheels!

chucked
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
ive done something similar before, except it was a little ramp, it was older with no support on it (single piece). Well one end caved in and the truck ate it up.