PDA

View Full Version : Dual Oil Coolers?

Wheelie
09-14-2001, 09:46 PM
This seems to be an obsession of mine.......cool

I had the thought today of placing dual oil coolers on a 400. Move the existing cooler up a bit, and place another below it upside down. Run the oil line that comes out of the engine to the same spot, the out line to the cooler below it on the left side. The final out being on the right side of the quad making a 180 deg turn and back to the oil tank.

Question is, would the stock pump support the extra restriction? Is there a high volume oil pump or booster available if not? I think the oil capacity would have to go up 4 or 8 ounces as well to compensate for the extra dead space that needs to be filled with oil.

I am determined to achieve better results than an aftermarket tank for less $$.

Sorry so long......

Leo
09-15-2001, 04:44 AM
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this also... extra cooling without blowing $300 for an oil tank...

I was looking at my buddies rancher? 350 4x4.. the oil cooler looks virtually identical to the 400EX's, except it has a fan mounted on it.. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the fan to the 400EX oil cooler? You could use one of the adjustable electric fan controllers they use for aftermarket electric fans on cars..

I would think that the added airflow would greatly increase the effectiveness of the stock cooler, as I can't imagine it gets a whole lot of airflow, even at speed..?

Just a thought, but you should be able to put together the whole setup for under $75...

Leo

crday98
09-15-2001, 07:11 AM
i am currently in search of an electric fan for mine too.i did not know about the rancher though.i'll check that out and let you guys know if i come up with anything else.

RideRed04
09-15-2001, 09:59 AM
I bet you could bolt on a stock rancher oil cooler/fan in place of yours. Might be something to try. I always wondered why the heck they put it way up there. Maybe a vent in the hood?

Wheelie
09-15-2001, 11:43 AM
The fan sounds like a good idea, would the Rancher oil cooler/fan bolt right in, or atleast with a few minor mods? How about weight--I like to keep my quad on a strick diet. A second cooler would add weight too, probably about the same as the cooling fan.

Another thought, why don't the manufacturers of the aftermarket oil tanks place some cooling fins on the tank? That would also help with the cooling effeciency of the tank. I dunno, $300 for 10 degrees is a bit too steep for me.

Less heat=more power and longer engine life.

If I get a large enough sac to try one of these ideas out, I will buy a temp guage and a good stop watch and post the results.

09-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Just a thought, I wonder if a temp switch from say a TRX300FWD would fit in place of the nuetral switch on a 400EX. I could live without the nuetral light. Maybe even change out the lamp to be red, or something highly visable. I'm not sure at what temp the switch operates at, that would be nice. The whole consept would be really nice to take a quick look down any know if your in the "danger zone." My dads got a 300fwd I might have to do a little investigating and see..........