PDA

View Full Version : Process of building a track

250-R-250
05-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey, I am wondering what the best way to build a track is...for example....Add or take away dirt...I am starting with about 20 acres of FLAT Land its a field.NO TREES at all in the field..So My problem is do I need to truck in dirt and keep the Flat actuall field the basis of the track...or should i rent a tractor and take away dirt as I need to...If you can picture this...Making the basis of the track below actuall land elevation of the surrounding land..Then using that dirt to make the jumps? I know this came out all wrong...I want this to be as technical and similar to a pro track as possible
Thanks

Cvillecoldblood
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
If you have the money, buy about 8-10 dump truck loads of dirt if you want a really decent track. I used to have 2 or 3 tracks and groups of jumps where I used to live and me and a buddy just dug dirt out of the ground and made the tracks. After everything, it looked like crap but the tracks were great. If you cant get the dirt, just pick about 5 acres of land in the corner and dig it all out for the track. When your done with the track, make the hole you dug like a bowl so it doesnt look bad. That way you have a track and a nice bowl to ride on.

hardkoratvmxr
05-19-2005, 05:43 PM
well here is what i think you should do, you could dig some pits that you jump down into then climb outta. then use that dirt for jumps. (really cool) or you could truck in dirt. i would personally try to do both with the second option being used more. it is a lot easier to get dirt put exactly where you want it then moving it around a little then digging dirt and moving it then digging some more. trucking in dirt might be more expesnsive but it would prolyl be more worth it

416HiRoller
05-21-2005, 09:20 PM
My friend just made a track in his yard and he said that pool excavation companies were fighting over him. He said that they would bring as much dirt as you wanted to your track (as long as they can get the trucks to it) and that its all FREE because they don't have any place for the dirt. So if I were you I would just look in the phone book for a company that digs pools and call them about the dirt instead of having to dig a big hole in the ground that would just fill up with water any ways.

250-R-250
05-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Thats a great Idea..I will do that as soon as I make the layout!!!!!
THANKS ALOT

05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
to build my small track. I just dug some dirtup then put it in a pile, then did the same thing for the landing. here is a pic.

JOEX
05-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I've heard that it's better to add dirt rather than take it away because when you start digging down there will be more places for water to collect and pool. Of course this vary by location....

05-22-2005, 08:54 AM
good point about the watter.

Giz400ex
05-22-2005, 09:06 AM
All you need is a dozer that can angle and Whats wrong with water??? Nobody wants to get there machine dirty or nobody likes to get wet??:huh :huh :D :D j/k,

250-R-250
05-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Here is what I was thinking of before..Digging the hole and using it for part of the track....I guess I could always have an alternate route of track incase it floods?I was thinking of the water problem before and that is why i was wondering whether to dig or add. Is there a way to drain this area below ground level? Has anyone in this forum ever built a professional track?. Oh well I might just add I guess I thought that A difference in the track like going below ground level would be more interesting than just flat?

thanks

http://usera.imagecave.com/Kane/TRACK.bmp.jpg

Ridin' Jesse
05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
thats a good idea money saver instead of buying dirt lol

416HiRoller
05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm telling you, you wouldn't have to buy the dirt and it would be easy, because the dump trucks could just dump the dirt where you needed it (where the jumps would be). So I think that adding dirt would be the best way to go. I'm about to make a track and it is all going to be on flat ground because I dont want to have it flood and not be able to ride for a week. But I do see what you are saying about digging that hole, it would be like a down hill double instead of going from flat to flat.

250-R-250
05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
416HiRoller I am going to look into the pool idea. I dont think getting dirt will be a prob I will either dig it or call the pool excavation companies. I will call before I dig because I dont want a flooded track either. Now I was just thinking about adding the hole to to make the track more interesting. I am making the track whree I can switch it up, I will have hay blocks for the markers so I can swith them. And if I did make the hole then I could switch it in and out depending on whether it was in decent condition.

Ruby Soho
05-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Do you plan on doing this by hand?

Lol if so best of luck, takes me forever and an arm and leg.

If you use a loader or something, you could scrape the ground and do it in a large area. That way you take off about 3 inches in a 1 acre area, you have a **** load of dirt!

250-R-250
05-22-2005, 03:27 PM
lol....NO!!!I will be using a big arsed tracter!

Thanks...

Anyone will be welcome to come and ride it too!!

05-22-2005, 04:20 PM
buy some land in NH and build a track there. so I can go and ride there. lol

TCracin440ex
05-23-2005, 11:48 PM
wew...hate to rub it in but i get all the free dirt and construction equiptment i want....because my step dad works for a construction company...as a matter of a fact i have a bob cat sitting in my front yard now....hwen my arm gets healed up im going to get him to bring me home a track loader and about 3 or 4 tandem axle dumptruck loads of dirt so i can build me a table top

416HiRoller
05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
That's pretty cool, you got it easy. Let me know if you need somebody to show you how to jump that table top and I roll on up there. LOL:D

insaneracin2003
05-24-2005, 02:23 PM
where in La are you??? i live in Houston,not too far to drive.

duke416ex
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Bunch of good ideas been posted, I always liked the jumps that dropped off, but if you are gonna have pits like that they need to be able to drain or else they will stay wet for days after the rest of the track is dry. I have noticed a lot of practice tracks where they scooped dirt here and there to build jumps and there is often wet spots right before or after jumps. I never really liked that, but jmo. The dirt from the pool companies would be awesome. So you don't have any hills to put in uphill or downhill jumps?

250-R-250
05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
No I dont have any hills.. I was thinking of putting i french drains to solv that problem...I am in Ruston but the land I am building on is in baton rouge. Someday I want to have like an atvriders ride out there i think its perfect place cuase theres a barn for all the atvs and then a house every one could stay in? but thats a long ways down the rode.

Does anyone have any track designs or layouts?
Thanks
kane

250-R-250
05-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Need some track designs

05-25-2005, 09:00 PM
best I advice I can give you for a design is to go to a race and take notes on where stuff is.

and however you have it set up gaurenteed that you will make 100 changes till you like it.

toby400ex
05-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Why not just dig a pond , and build the track around the pond. And if you ever need to water the track, rig up a pump or something take water out of the pond.

Fred55
05-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Heres our track..we just went off of ideas we;ve seen while racing

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163485

416HiRoller
05-26-2005, 05:57 AM
That's pretty sick man!! Do you have any vids of the track yet?