PDA

View Full Version : Police officer hit by passing car. must see to believe.

JUSTINcredible
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
this is truely amazing this officer made it out of this alive. it wasnt more than 2 weeks ago that another ramsey county officer was shot and killed in St. Paul

I'll lok for a video.

-A Ramsey County sheriff's deputy survived after a pickup truck hit him Wednesday morning as he helped a woman whose car was in a ditch alongside a highway in Little Canada.

Deputy Glen Pothen, 35, was treated for injuries and released. The Minnesota State Patrol released video of the crash, which shows Pothen being struck, to remind drivers that it is state law to slow down and move over to other lanes of traffic when they see law enforcement officers along highways.

"When I saw the tape this morning, I already knew that the deputy had survived and in fact wasn't seriously injured, and my thought was, 'I'm watching a fatality crash,' " said State Patrol Capt. Jay Swanson. "My thought was, 'In a couple days I'm going to be going to another funeral.' "

The crash, which happened during morning rush hour, was captured by a video camera mounted in a State Patrol vehicle. Pothen had stopped to assist a state trooper with a car that was in the ditch along Interstate Hwy. 694, near Interstate Hwy. 35E.

Video image of deputy getting hitAssociated PressThe driver of a Toyota pickup truck apparently lost control, clipped the patrol car, and slid at an angle, hitting Pothen. The front passenger side of the truck struck Pothen in the back, and his head appeared to slam backward onto the hood of the vehicle. The truck pushed him into the brush in the ditch and out of the camera's view.

The incident was being investigated.

Associated Press

JUSTINcredible
05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
video-

http://kare11.com/player.aspx?aid=14630&bw=

chucked
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Damn I saw that the other day, I thought he was dead.

Doober
05-19-2005, 04:52 PM
i bet that would leave quite a headache

Jackie
05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
that will leave a mark

05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
i have that same truck :blah:

Punk'd
05-19-2005, 08:10 PM
how did he live threw that? I guess because that ladies car was hit first?

Sportrax10
05-19-2005, 08:10 PM
He is lucky to be alive... :eek:

400exrules
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
wtf how does that happen so often, ive seen numerous videos of police who have pulled someone over or just a car with trouble on the side of the road and cars just swerve off the road and plow into them....this one is clearly an accident, especially cuz of the wet roads but ive seen a ton of videos just like this

Mxjunkie
05-19-2005, 10:17 PM
My guess would be we are to populated and everyones in a hurry, not thinking and BOOM, once something happens they panic and dont know what to do or slam the brakes. That cop is really lucky to be alive, I remeber seeing one on real tv, a cop pulls over a car and walks back to his car to check the liesnce etc, a car comes sliding into the picture rear ends the car. I belive everyone was ok in the pulled over car expect a few minor injurys.

No ones mention but that lady when she bent over he head wasnt to far from getting taken off. :eek2:

400exrules
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
yah if i ever had to pull over, i'd pull over like, 30 ft. away from the highway cuz of crazy ppl....or just somewhere that was alittle safer

Mxjunkie
05-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I'd be pulling the I cant hear you till I found a safe spot, I'm sure they will be a little mad but its better then a tractor and trailer hitting you or your car going 60-75mph.:scary:

SGA
05-20-2005, 12:07 AM
It wasnt his time.

I remember few years ago, a woman was in a serious wreck, but escaped with minor injurys. She was walking around and one of the police cars responding to the scene ran over her and killed her.

It was her time.

thomps6s
05-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Yeah that was just north of Minneapolis and it is a real busy highway. Most people in that area are driving 80 in a 55.

TheFontMaster
05-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by SGA
It wasnt his time.

I remember few years ago, a woman was in a serious wreck, but escaped with minor injurys. She was walking around and one of the police cars responding to the scene ran over her and killed her.

It was her time.

That much suck surviving a weck and then getting killed by a cop that was comming to help. That is irony right there.

SadisticShee
05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I find that to be greatly funny

JUSTINcredible
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SadisticShee
I find that to be greatly funny

how?:huh

SadisticShee
05-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Believe it or not this happens quite often. I see it on TV all the time. **** man when your pull someone over on a 3 lane highway it can be a mess. All I'm saying is that they should start thinkin about how they pull someone over because this has happened before.

chucked
05-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SadisticShee
Believe it or not this happens quite often. I see it on TV all the time. **** man when your pull someone over on a 3 lane highway it can be a mess. All I'm saying is that they should start thinkin about how they pull someone over because this has happened before.

you know, if I was a police officer, and I was pulling someone over, I would like them to stop in a parking lot or something you know? So I wouldnt die.... About 2 years ago my sister was on the highway and a cop was trying to pull her over, well she exits and pulls into a gas station, the cop tried giving her a 300 some dollar fine for not pulling over right away. It was thrown out in court though.

rush298
05-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Just curious...but didn't anyone read the part that she was already in a ditch and he had stopped to help her out? not pulled her over? SKIMMERS! the lot of ya!:p

Just because we see it more often on TV or we hear about it in the news more often doesn't necessarily mean that it actually happens more often.....but on the same note...why dont' people use more caution when it rains?

Just the other day we had some sort of large truck leak hydraulic fluid over 50 miles of highway, and if you know anything about hydraulic fluid...it doesn't wash off like diesel...and caused almost 40 accidents in the torrential downpours we had all week.

It is truly a blessing that he survived that crash and that he came out of it with only minor injuries. If it were me I'd not want to stop for anyone in the rain after that.

chucked
05-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by rush298
Just curious...but didn't anyone read the part that she was already in a ditch and he had stopped to help her out? not pulled her over? SKIMMERS! the lot of ya!:p

Just because we see it more often on TV or we hear about it in the news more often doesn't necessarily mean that it actually happens more often.....but on the same note...why dont' people use more caution when it rains?

Just the other day we had some sort of large truck leak hydraulic fluid over 50 miles of highway, and if you know anything about hydraulic fluid...it doesn't wash off like diesel...and caused almost 40 accidents in the torrential downpours we had all week.

It is truly a blessing that he survived that crash and that he came out of it with only minor injuries. If it were me I'd not want to stop for anyone in the rain after that.

well whoever watched the video saw that

spincr4hire
05-20-2005, 06:52 PM
man, it shocked me that the driver of the truck was oriental...:huh

thomps6s
05-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
man, it shocked me that the driver of the truck was oriental...:huh
Shocking as it may be, Orientals do drive vehicles. Idiot.

sylvan56473
05-21-2005, 11:59 AM
What I can't figure out is how all these "Vangs" are making the news in MN. It seems that I hear that name now once a week, and not for anything good yet.

The police reported that alcohol and drugs were not a factor, but they think that being an idiot rubber necker may have had something to do with it.

spincr4hire
05-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by thomps6s
Shocking as it may be, Orientals do drive vehicles. Idiot.

it was a JOKE:rolleyes:

SGA
05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
it was a JOKE:rolleyes:

:eek: :D :eek: :D

wilkin250r
05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I think I would only be more shocked if it was a female asian driver... :blah:

Toadz400
05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Do they show the interview of Vang in that video? I watched this on the news last week and he claims he hit a "slippery" spot on the road and lost control. If you look at the road it doesn't appear to be THAT wet to cause him to lose control. How did his truck swerve to the right when he tried turning into the left lane? I don't see how any of this makes sense, especially if he was only going 55 mph...the semi trucks and other speeding vehicles seemed to make it past the officer just fine?:confused:

JUSTINcredible
05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Do they show the interview of Vang in that video? I watched this on the news last week and he claims he hit a "slippery" spot on the road and lost control. If you look at the road it doesn't appear to be THAT wet to cause him to lose control. How did his truck swerve to the right when he tried turning into the left lane? I don't see how any of this makes sense, especially if he was only going 55 mph...the semi trucks and other speeding vehicles seemed to make it past the officer just fine?:confused:

we had heavy rans that morning and there is a pretty sharp curve in the highway there, so it was hard to see the officers and the flashing lights untill you are right there.

Toadz400
05-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
we had heavy rans that morning and there is a pretty sharp curve in the highway there, so it was hard to see the officers and the flashing lights untill you are right there.

Oh okay, the video didn't seem to show the road being THAT wet. The curve also doesn't appear to be that sharp in the curve either, I think it was just a highly inexperienced/unskilled driver that was the cause of the accident.