PDA

View Full Version : valvetrain noise

duke416ex
05-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok, a buddies quad jumped time and bent the valves. We replaced the valves, got a new tensioner, and pit a crf450 timing chain in it. He has stock rocker arms and a white brothers cam. It is one of the splined cams and I guess the splines are a little wore cause the flange wiggles a little on it. We got it all done and it was fine. Rode a few times, and I noticed I heard the valves, so I told him I would readjust them. Took it down, checked them and they were good, but I adjusted them anyway. Put it back together and it still clicked.

I got to listening and it sounded like the noise was coming from the chain side. I checked the valves again and they are fine. When you are turning the motor over by the crank, you can hear a click everytime the valves start to come up, ex. or in.. Not when they close, but when they start to close from wide open. I don't know what it is and just wanted ideas, could the chain be lose or what?

2004exrider
05-19-2005, 01:42 PM
check the timing chain first, and it is also normal for the ex's to have valve chatter, but not sure if it should be clicking like that wen your just turnin it over by hand. also check that the cam is torqued down right it could be a little slop.