PDA

View Full Version : can't get steering dampner to fit?????????

woodsZrider
05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I have AC propegs and i just got a PEP steering dampner and it won't fit with the propegs on..
The back (steering dampner) bracket that mounts on the frame can't go down far enough because of the bar that goes through the middle of the bike (from the propegs). This makes the shaft of the steering dampner hit my brake line..
Can someone please help me??
Does anyone have this combo??
If so could you please help me out...
I hope i haven't confused anyone.
Thanks

woodsZrider
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
bump

DirtDevilBT
05-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I am so confused it's not even funny. Ummm... well I have pro peg AC's and my Denton works. But then again I wasn't standing on my head when I mounted it. Have you tried putting it on the stem and running it to the down rails of the frame, just behind the front bumper? That's the only way I have seen them mounted.

Airik79mx
05-18-2005, 08:46 PM
I had the same problem when I had AC pro pegs. You can make it work but it's very close. Also, you have to bend the brake line down alittle too. I got X-Factor nerfs now and I like them much better.

Airik79mx
05-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
I am so confused it's not even funny. Ummm... well I have pro peg AC's and my Denton works. But then again I wasn't standing on my head when I mounted it. Have you tried putting it on the stem and running it to the down rails of the frame, just behind the front bumper? That's the only way I have seen them mounted.

The PEP mounts like this........................
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Airik79mx/Picture005.jpg

woodsZrider
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
yea,, see where the bar (from the nerf) goes under the bracket to the steering dampner..
That bar on the AC's is much bigger..
The mount can't got far enough down..
I will try to mount it in the front tomorrow, i got mad and stoped working on it today.
Thanks for your help guys....

honduh440
05-18-2005, 09:05 PM
alright i just installed my PEP stabilizer last week it is pretty difficult!

where the frame is horrizontal where i assume that you are talking about where it is hitting. Their is a bracket for your brake lines and it is a shape of a backwards L then the brake line mounts to it on the top of the L so take that bracket off and the shaft of the stabilizer runs between the brake line and above the bottom of the bracket "yes it is a tight fit" then everything will just fall into place mount it up

also what may help is to take off the plastic pieces around the radiator to give you more room if you need me to i can take a pic in a week and have it posted

kbass24emtp
05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. You have to bend the brake line. It will fit fine.

woodsZrider
05-19-2005, 06:34 AM
thanks!!!!!!!!!

kbass24emtp
05-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Here is where you mount the bottom bracket. Connect this first.

kbass24emtp
05-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Next you will have to remove the bolt holding the T connection on your front brake line and move it down. I used zip ties to hold it down and had been working for over a year. You will also have to loosen the bolt on the left wheel brake line and move it down alittle and retighten the bolt.

kbass24emtp
05-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Now tighten the stem clamp, giving you enough clearance for your radiator.

kbass24emtp
05-19-2005, 06:47 AM
When your done the clearance is tight, but it clears everything. You will just have to play with it a little to get it to clear everything. Also be sure to use LockTight. If you need more help let me know. I can take more pics if you want.

Jersey450R
05-19-2005, 07:10 AM
one of my buddies connected his PEP damper to his AC propeg. It worked.

2MuchChi450R
05-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Make sure the steering stabilizer isn't for the 400ex like mine was the first time. I opened up the instructions and it had a picture of an oil tank, with directions making sure that you clear the tank itself! :rolleyes:

chad502ex
05-19-2005, 08:48 AM
i went forward and mounted the stabilizer in the center of my front bumper

woodsZrider
05-19-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks for all your help guys.
the pics are great..