PDA

View Full Version : Z400 Jetting with mods

1fastZ1slowridr
05-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok i just finished some mods on my z and now i cant get it to run right. First the mods.
Im running .30 over 13.5:1 piston, stage 1 hotcams, full hmf ballance exhust, big gun cdi and k&n with no lid.
I thought that since it was skipping and backfireing that the pilot jet was too small since it was the stock so i put in a 25 and im running a 160 dyno jet for the main. It didnt help. Any help you guys can give me would be really appreciated

witti
05-18-2005, 07:40 PM
What rpm range is it running bad?
Are you running the airbox lid or snorkle? Either remove or install one or the other and see if it runs better, this will tell you if its rich or lean.
Dynojet sizes are not the same as mikuni. The dynojet numbers are bigger then mikuni. Might want to try a larger main.

1fastZ1slowridr
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
it seems to be running fine in low rpms but as soon as you hit half throttle it cuts out, and when you let off it back fires. if both the lid and snorkle are removed do i replace both or still just one?

RiderTRX400ex
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
sounds like your running lean

RiderTRX400ex
05-18-2005, 08:08 PM
put the lid and snorkle back on to see if it fixs your problem. If it does it means you are running lean.

400exrider707
05-18-2005, 09:59 PM
1fastZ1slowrider is my buddy and we can not figure this damn thing out at all. We put in a 175 main and the thing still ran crappy. We thought that it might even be electrical. Tomorrow were going to try the stock CDI for S&G's. No matter what we change on the jetting it doesn't seem to get better or worse. It just runs like CRAP! If you start off slow and slowly start applying more throttle, it runs fine until about 1/2 throttle. After that it starts cutting out real bad and sounds like its hitting the rev limiter. We didn't have the lid to throw on tonight but hopefully tomorrow we should have that as well. We have had everything from like a 146 main to a 175 main, stock pilot the 25 pilot stock needle, dyno needle in severl positions and still no luck. Any body with similar mods want to enlighten on some suggested jetting? Thanks guys.

witti
05-19-2005, 02:43 PM
With the DRZ base gasket (~12:1 compression) both cams, ct pipe, no lid or snorkle. I was running a 165 mikuni main, stock needle (had burble with the dj needle), 25 pilot, 2.5 turns out on fuel screw.

1fastZ1slowridr
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Yeah we tried a 165 as well and we put the lid on and took it off and tried pretty much everything and it still runs like CRAP. Next we're going to try the stock CDI to see if it makes a difference. Im pretty sure its not jetting at this point.:grr: Typical Suzuki though;)

1fastZ1slowridr
05-21-2005, 12:10 AM
And that wasnt me knocking my zuk it was my honda riding idiot of a friend posting under my name.