PDA

View Full Version : what gas is in the shocks

J400EX
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I just got a set of peps long travel shocks for a 400ex w/ plus 3 arms and they seem a little stiff . A friend came over to look at them and let the gas out of the ressi. on the shocks . They now seem alot softer , but is that ok . What kind of gas goes in them and how much does it take . Does anybody know who will service them . If so can you please help me . thanks .

Mxjunkie
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Nitrogen I belive. Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Also you guys could of adjusted the springs instead so you wouldnt have to let out the gas.. Just a thought.

LTandRaptorider
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, they use Nitrogen. I believe the pressure is about 250-275 PSI... Letting out some is not a good idea. Check the FAQ forum, I believe there is a good thread with that info there. ;)

aci clay
05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
if you fill them with helium the front end will come up much easier!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dpizz450
05-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by aci clay
if you fill them with helium the front end will come up much easier!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
what makes you think you can flame and post a sarcastic comment like that for no reason?

SGA
05-18-2005, 09:43 PM
You need dry nitrogen. Many AC shops use it to clean out sealed systems. I think you run around 125 PSI in shocks, but check around on the net for exact pressure for those shocks. Its really easy to add nitrogen. You will need to set the regulator on the tank to the pressure that you want in the shocks.

TBD
05-19-2005, 08:14 AM
The shocks use nitrogen and the amount of pressure depends on the builder. It could range anywhere from 150lbs to over 200 lbs. Hopefully you didn't cycle the shocks. Never let nitrogen out to adjust the ride. Use the preload adjuster or compression and rebound adjusters.

05-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Most of the time wayne from pep will engrave a P.S.I number on the resevoir by the shreader valve this is how much nitrogen pressure he recommends putting in there. most pep shocks are at 200 psi. If you are not positive call wayne from Pep or mark baldwin from baldwin motorsports.

MadMax27
05-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you mean schrader valve, If its Nitro, I carry around 2 B tanks, (or 50 pounders) for work. I couldnt see 275 in a shock. We blow coils apart with 400. Thats strange they use Nitro, it has a high affinity for moisture. It would corrode from inside, if they were ever a leak neways. You know whats really fun..... crackin the tops of em at the scrap yard, while theres still 2500 lbs of psig in em, man what a weapon!

snox31
05-20-2005, 02:56 PM
my front pep long travels for a yfz are charged to 200 lbs. nitrogen. don't ride it without any nitrogen it will not work properly and may do more damage than good.Tell your buddy to keep his suspension tuning to his own stuff.Most shops should be able to re-charge your shocks ,like was said earlier call pep for the right lbs. just for some people that think 200 was too high,my KYB's on my sno-x sled takes 300 lbs.

MadMax27
05-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Well also your sno x sled weighs more, and has basically a giant swingarm for that shock to handle. If the Manufacturer says 275, put 275 in. I would also leave it to the prodessionals. Tell yer friend thanx, but no thanx, next time.

snox31
05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
the front on my sled ( a-arms with 19" shocks) also uses 300 lbs. but those don't have the bladder style reservoir either if that matters or not I am not sure.They are a pain to charge because they use a small needle and they break easily. Yeah a sled is a little heavier and the track get way rougher so they take alot of abuse and I rebuild those shocks every 2 weeks. If the nitrogen is low it won't jump good.A little off the subject but just wanted to let the guy know how important it is to have the shocks charged at the proper psi for them to work right.