PDA

View Full Version : 330kit...lowend?

300exDust
05-18-2005, 02:28 PM
When you kit a 330 kit, does it kill low end? I rode a stock 400ex the other day and wasn't impressed at all with low end until puton a filter with no lid. If I could keep the low end it has and grab the topend of a 400 or relativly close, I'd never get rid of the 300.

300ex13
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
i remember a thing in ATVsport or one mag where they tested a full-blooded 330 xc quad and put it up with the z and ex and they said something like they had to get a rolling start to make it fair for the 400's....i notice a lot of xc guys that race 300's get 330s for more power and low end.....take it or leave it...thats about all i kno

300exDust
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
sweet thats what I wanted to hear! How bout hills climbs on that bad boy? My buddy was say'n stuff like, I gotta stretch the frame to climb the big hills.....I hit some nice hills already on the bike already...don't thnk I want to go much further with the hills....

countypark
05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
The 330 will give the 300EX killer low end power. Hill climbs are a breeze. To really wake it up put in a good cam and add a good exhaust. You'll also want to have the cdi modified to remove the limiter. Do all that and you'll have no problem running with stock 400 ex's.

drifterx
05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 300ex13
i remember a thing in ATVsport or one mag where they tested a full-blooded 330 xc quad and put it up with the z and ex and they said something like they had to get a rolling start to make it fair for the 400's....i notice a lot of xc guys that race 300's get 330s for more power and low end.....take it or leave it...thats about all i kno

I've heared they had great overall power. And i bought that issue of ATVsport, and they had to do a rolling start to be fair to the 400's, because the 300ex had a +2 swinger, and the 400's would wheelie too much to get a good start.

bradley300
05-19-2005, 06:54 AM
the 330 kit will give you more power everywhere. but only if you dont chep out on it. the pison alone wont do crap, you need the porting, head work, good exhaust and a clutch to get everything out of it

300exDust
05-19-2005, 07:09 AM
not cheaping out is hard to do man....The money I have in it right now, I could have a 400ex, piped, jetted w/ a filter. But oh well, I love how the 300 rides. With everything, porting, head work, good exhaust and a clutch how much you think we're looking at? 1,000?

bradley300
05-19-2005, 07:27 AM
yeah, somewhere in the 100 range, i spent 1500 on my 350 big bore, but i sent gthunder a seized motor, so i needed some other stuff done also like a crank rebuild, new cam chain and other things. the 350 kit also needed a little case machining that added to the cost over a 330

300exDust
05-19-2005, 07:35 AM
I'll have to find someone near me here in Ohio that can do all of that work for me whe nI get a 330. Also, isn't 330 the most reliable kit?

bradley300
05-19-2005, 07:44 AM
if your in ohio, take it to gthunder and get a 350 kit. its only like 30 bucks more expensive than the 330 kit (becasue of the case machining) and its a good bit faster. any motor can be reliable, it has alot to do with who builds it and how you take care of it.

www.gthunder.com

300exDust
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
ok, I see that for a 400ex it's 1500 for a basic kit. Less for a 300? I need to find a way to get some cheaper parts. Not going to cut any corners, just look for some used stuff I guess? I'm gonna try to find some deals on the same parts. If you know of ANY sites we can get discounts off of then thatd be sweet.

bwamos
05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 300exDust
not cheaping out is hard to do man....The money I have in it right now, I could have a 400ex, piped, jetted w/ a filter. But oh well, I love how the 300 rides. With everything, porting, head work, good exhaust and a clutch how much you think we're looking at? 1,000?

Aye.. $1000 - $1200 is just about right for a full job on a 330ex.

I have:
FST 330cc 11:1 comp; sleeve; port & polish; Titanium Valves w/ oversized exhaust; heavy valve springs; MX Grind Cam; 11,000 rpm CDI; Sparks X-4 Exhaust w/ turndown; K&N filter; Stock Carb (142main, 3rd notch; 2.75 turns), Oil Cooler; & Heavy Clutch Springs.

I opted for stock dia carb and stock intake port for increased velocity. Not as much top end HP, but more low end torque.

So I got more HP and a lot more torque out of the deal. I can pull a wheelie in 4th without having to yank on the bars. Well actually I can only do it in 3rd. I'm not a wheelie pro, lol. But my racing partner can pull it in 4th easily. Of course I'm 5'7" whereas he's 6'-3" (note: I am geared lower for woods so it's alittle easier to do ;))

It's not a banshee.. but then again I don't see banshees pulling Broken Down Dunebuggies out of the sand dunes in Little Sahara. ;)

You won't need a new clutch, just get heavier clutch springs. Been running my heavy springs for 3 years no slipping or issues yet.

You WILL need an oil cooler though.

sweet thats what I wanted to hear! How bout hills climbs on that bad boy? My buddy was say'n stuff like, I gotta stretch the frame to climb the big hills.....I hit some nice hills already on the bike already...don't thnk I want to go much further with the hills....

the 300 has a real shallow wheelbase. If you want to do the bigger hills you'd really want to get a +2 swingarm. I personally like the shorter swingarm.. makes it easier pull the front end up when hopping logs. But, the really BIG hills make me sweat.. lol Nothing like riding a wheelie on a 45deg incline 150ft up from the bottom w/ a big *** tree and a rock outcropping half way down.. lol.

300exDust
05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I hear that! I like my quad too much to just ride it up a hill flip it and eff all kinds of stuff up. Esp, out in the middle of nowhere. With a spotter I might do something dumb but not generally.

bwamos
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
ok, I see that for a 400ex it's 1500 for a basic kit. Less for a 300? I need to find a way to get some cheaper parts. Not going to cut any corners, just look for some used stuff I guess? I'm gonna try to find some deals on the same parts. If you know of ANY sites we can get discounts off of then thatd be sweet.

Depends on where you get it done and what you get done.

If you get a WEB Cam you have to get your rockers hardened. That will cost you more. I didn't want a WEB cam. I got one you could use stock rockers with.

I only got the exhaust side of the valves done. (personal preference)

Bought the Pipe and Filter seperatly.

I did not replace my CDI. I got it modified for a higher rev limit.

Mine was right about 1000 done by Four-Stroke Tech (a couple years ago).

hondardr4life
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
The 330 has amazing low end!!!! I am like you, and am not impressed with a 400ex at all, even with a pipe and filter they are boring, you need motor work to make them fun, but its the same with a 300. I agree the 300 has a better ride, but it is in serious need of better suspension!!! My friend has a 330 with works shocks w/o rezzies and they are amazing vs my stockers. My quad is faster because of the gearing and stuff, and mine has more torque but his will run right with me, it has such amazing handling. I will be buying a set soon, and we will be messing with his 330 to make it nice and fast like mine. It is just in need of a change of gearing, it is stock with a 330 kit!!, plus he has a stock header. But anyways, the 330 is very nice, it flies up hills with no problems, it has tons of low end.

bradley300
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
when i built my 350ex, i rebuilt the head b4 hand (all new parts thanks to my wonderfull mechanic skills,lol) and laz at gthunder asked specificly if i had STOCK rockers with my cam. the hardened rockers seem like a sham. i have had 3 built 300ex motors with the stock rockers and not a single problem with them

300exDust
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
See I talked to Laz about a 350 kit, he's giving me what I think is a helluva deal. Compared to the prices I'm seeing right now. But he said that I'd have to take my "cases" to get them machined. Not exactly sure what cases he is talking about or how much they are going to cost to get machined. Therefor I also have no idea what to tell the guy's when they go to machine it, lol. Here ya go machine this for me! I have no idea what specs..just machine it....?:confused:

LOL, help this helpless SOB, please

bwamos
05-23-2005, 03:07 PM
If your taking a 350x topend and putting it on your 300ex/250x tranny you have to machine the opening of the cases where the cylinder fits in to make room for the sleeve since it's a bigger sleeve.

Wait till you get the cylinder. Slide it on.. and mark it where it hits the cases. Then you have to split the cases and get the interfering material removed.

300exDust
05-24-2005, 07:17 AM
ok, that makes sense...

bradley300
05-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 300exDust
See I talked to Laz about a 350 kit, he's giving me what I think is a helluva deal. Compared to the prices I'm seeing right now. But he said that I'd have to take my "cases" to get them machined. Not exactly sure what cases he is talking about or how much they are going to cost to get machined. Therefor I also have no idea what to tell the guy's when they go to machine it, lol. Here ya go machine this for me! I have no idea what specs..just machine it....?:confused:

LOL, help this helpless SOB, please

i thought he told me it was only about 30 bucks to get the cases machined. you just need to make the big hole on the top of the side cases big enuff to fit the sleeve.

bradley300
05-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
If your taking a 350x topend and putting it on your 300ex/250x tranny you have to machine the opening of the cases where the cylinder fits in to make room for the sleeve since it's a bigger sleeve.

Wait till you get the cylinder. Slide it on.. and mark it where it hits the cases. Then you have to split the cases and get the interfering material removed.

he's using a 350cc 300ex piston and sleeve;) but you explained it better than i did

300exDust
05-24-2005, 08:37 AM
I've never really dug into a engine that deep, it sounds like it could be a reall EFF up since I don't know much about it... maybe I should jsut got get my stockers port and polished and be happy....?

bradley300
05-24-2005, 09:02 AM
if your wanting to do it as cheap as possible, laz can tell you exactly what you will need to take to a machine shop and what to tell them. it would be even easier to just send the whole motor to laz

300exDust
05-24-2005, 10:34 AM
That's what I thought, but he said that he could get me the part and that I could get it machined. He didn't tell me to bring it in or anything you know.....

countypark
05-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
when i built my 350ex, i rebuilt the head b4 hand (all new parts thanks to my wonderfull mechanic skills,lol) and laz at gthunder asked specificly if i had STOCK rockers with my cam. the hardened rockers seem like a sham. i have had 3 built 300ex motors with the stock rockers and not a single problem with them

I run stock rockers in mine but I remove the inner valve springs and use heavy duty outers. A real agressive motocross or TT style cam will wear your stock rockers faster then a x-country grind because you need the add springs to help out in super high revving races. Run an oil cooler and change your oil frequently. I change mine every race and I have almost 2 seasons of GNCC racing on it along with dozens of other XC races as well as trail riding for practice(IT'S BEEN RIDDEN :macho ) and it runs as good as it did the first time out on it. If you aren't changing the cam stick with the stock cdi but if you are camming up change to a mod'd cdi to remove the rev limiter.

300exDust
05-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by countypark
I run stock rockers in mine but I remove the inner valve springs and use heavy duty outers. A real agressive motocross or TT style cam will wear your stock rockers faster then a x-country grind because you need the add springs to help out in super high revving races. Run an oil cooler and change your oil frequently. I change mine every race and I have almost 2 seasons of GNCC racing on it along with dozens of other XC races as well as trail riding for practice(IT'S BEEN RIDDEN :macho ) and it runs as good as it did the first time out on it. If you aren't changing the cam stick with the stock cdi but if you are camming up change to a mod'd cdi to remove the rev limiter.

Wow, you know your stuff man.... do you have an MD in 300's or is engines in general?

ky300ex
05-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
if your wanting to do it as cheap as possible, laz can tell you exactly what you will need to take to a machine shop and what to tell them. it would be even easier to just send the whole motor to laz

I also emailed Laz about having a 350 motor built(my 330 motor is almost done for) and he told me that i would have to have the cases machined.My question is, if i send the complete stock motor to Laz can he do all of the machine work and build the complete motor there or do i have to send the the motor somewhere else to have it machined? I f i have to send it somewhere else for machine work i have no idea as to where to send it.

bradley300
05-28-2005, 08:18 AM
laz can do every bit of it;) pretty sure he can do all of it in has shop, if not, he will take it somewhere, you dont have to do anything but send him the motor

dork
05-29-2005, 12:55 AM
you can get some pretty good low end out of these motors with some displacement and a good cam. my 380 lifts the front effortlessly in the first 3 gears, and thats with 15/36 gearing(stock wheelbase though).

300exDust
05-31-2005, 07:06 AM
I think I am going to sink money into a fesw other things b4 I get a bore kit now. I'm just gonna get it port and polished for the engine. I need tires and nerfs b4 I do anything else.

When you get the 300 P&P'd do you need a bigger cam/headpipe than stock?

bradley300
05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
keep in mind, if you port your motor now, and then later you get a big bore, you will need the head ported again for the larger displacement

bwamos
06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Agree.. just make sure you have a good pipe/filter combo. WOrk on your tires/wheels/nerfs.

Then save up your cash and do the whole 9 yards on your engine mods at one time. It will be cheaper and much much more effective.

Besides aftermarket shocks should be a higher priority on a 300ex than the engine work IMHO. But that's just me.

300exDust
06-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Well, HMF/uni no lid

seems good to me.

Well yea....but for the money I think porting it now will hold me over with the mods until I get everything else done. It'll be a long time b4 I get the cash to get a big bore kit.

bwamos
06-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Yup HMF + Uni is a great combo.

We're jsut saying the porting is not really gonna be worth the $ until you get the big bore or a higher comp kit w/ cams etc.. (you'll have to report anyway).

Use that money for some better suspension or something. ;)

bradley300
06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
even w/o the big bore kit, the porting is definatly worth it, just be prepared to port it again when you do the big bore

300exDust
06-02-2005, 07:33 AM
ok, say I go with just getting it ported tho, do I need bigger cam/header to get the full power out of porting?

bradley300
06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
definatly get a good full exhaust with porting. you will tell a difference even with the stock pipe, but to really get what your paying for with the porting, you need a good exhaust to compliment it. if you have xtra money, the cam will also work well.since your in there for the porting anyway, it only makes since to put the cam in at the same time.tell who ever ports your motor what cam and exhaust you are running. my advice is to look for a good mid-top end cam, there is so much low end on a stock 300ex, that you can sacrifice plenty for mid and top end and still have more than enuff low end.

300exDust
06-02-2005, 07:56 AM
oh yea, whitebro's it is! Got another question for ya. I'm running a little rich, by porting and getting W/B would that kinda even things out? Or would it make it worse?

bwamos
06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
You'll have to completely rejet.

But yea it will get a LOT leaner when you do that.