PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator vs. Yamaha YFZ450

gnttype
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM
I am looking for feedback regarding the Polaris Predator and the Yamaha YFZ450. I am having trouble deciding which one to buy. Any information you can offer regarding features, how they ride, why you bought one or the other, what your buddies think about them, etc., it would be much appreciated. Please let me know what type of rider you are (dunes, jumping, trails, racing, and your age) so I can weigh that against your comments. Thanks.

baseballplaya23
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
well for starters i dont have a YFZ or Preditor but i race both of them and can easily beat the predator and so can the YFZ. the only thing out there that i have yet to see beat em is a banshee. but if i was you i would get a YFZ over a predator. JMO

aci clay
05-18-2005, 05:12 PM
i've got a yfz, mildly modded, pipe, filter, jetted and rev box and brother in law had a predator with pretty much the same mods and mine was a little faster. the biggest difference is in the handling. The predator is bigger, heavier and much squirellier. The seat design is terrible, sems like you're always sliding foward and can't ever get your weight back. i've never ridden a quad like the yfz that has power handling suspension looks in one package. I'm a big guy and i don't feel cramped at all, 6'2" & 235. Lose the thumb trottle and your good to go stock or modified. Plus any type of modification is readily available for the yfz, the predator not as much. I ride mostly trails, some tracks a little dunes and i'm an old overweight guy. for strictly racing stick with a yfz or txr if not just enjoy whatever you get and don't let people talk crap to you about it.

RingoYFZ450
05-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree with aci clay everyone is different get what feels and works best for you. I am a Honda guy who switched to the YFZ450 IN 04r and am not sure how I feel about it. Dont get me wrong Yamaha has built a great quad just not sure that I like it as well as the 450R. Its all in personal preference go with what you like.

Good Luck!!

pred67
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I race a predator and beat yfz's and 450r's all the time. Performance wise all I have is a wb slip on and nicholas cycle carb mod with clamp on filter. I got the predator because of a better deal. If your going to race you need to realize that 70 or 80 percent is the rider not the machine.(the other 20 or 30 percent are jackasses racing blasters and 300ex's in open class;) although 2 weeks ago a 9 year old kid raced in open C with a 250r framed 85cc motocross bike and beat a warrior, yfz, 450r and I can't remember what the other bike was(by the way I got 3 and 1 in the motos for 2nd overall) Like everbody else said go with what feels good to you.

BlueZ440
05-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't ride either but don't get the PRETENDER..

maggiesboy
05-19-2005, 10:18 PM
hang a picture of each on the wall, get a dart, you do know what to do with a dart don't you?

enjoy your new toy!

Doak450r
05-19-2005, 10:38 PM
my buddies getting a pred. this weekend a 04 leftover for 5000 and i drove it at the dealer it felt good i've also ridden the yammi and just think it feels better. it also felt like i had better power but get whatever you like. around here everyone has yfz's