PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator vs. Yamaha YFZ450

gnttype
05-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I am looking for feedback regarding the Polaris Predator and the Yamaha YFZ450. I am having trouble deciding which one to buy. Any information you can offer regarding features, how they ride, why you bought one or the other, what your buddies think about them, etc., it would be much appreciated. Please let me know what type of rider you are (dunes, jumping, trails, racing, and your age) so I can weigh that against your comments. Thanks.

MR.BIG
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
This should be a good thead! I say yfz450 or 450r. They are faster and lighter.

aci clay
05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
see reply in racing section

1BADYFZ
05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Lets see dog**** or donut?

YFZCHAMP
05-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
This should be a good thead! I say yfz450 or 450r. They are faster and lighter.

I agree with MR. Big, no matter the use, both of those quads are tops.

I race MX, and Arenacross, dune riding as well
I have a yfz450

bansheex
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Buy the Yfz or the 450R, Polaris=Garbage!!:eek2:

05-20-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a Polaris Predator and I just bought a special edition YFZ for my son.(Black and yellow) I really enjoy my pred and it has great power. Everyone I know who has left their pred alone, (piped, jetted and CDI only) has had real good luck with their bike. They don't seem to like major engine mods though.....
As far as the YFZ, I'll let you know......everyone I talk to that has one, says they love theirs. I can't wait to try it out.
I am a trail rider, 45 and have two sons who ride hard and wear out bikes fast.....;)

rippin2
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
all you need to do with a pred to get the engine alive is air box jet pipe and its fast...didnt they make it lighter this year?

MR.BIG
05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Do the same to the 450s and then it will lose again!

methyman
05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I best advise I can give you is to try to find someone with the bikes you are looking to buy and you make the choice. I wanted the TRX450R because I am a Honda man. I love my 1986 TRX250R. The feel of the TRX450R was so fimilar to my old 400EX to me, which I didnt like after being on the best handling bike(TRX250R). I felt a little more comfortable on the YFZ450 and has electric start so my son can ride it. The seat took a while to get used to but thats no big deal. I have put a Sparks pipe, air filter set up, jet kit, cam mod and 15 tooth sprocket. The bike is so fast I cant understand it. I race some Banshees with it and stomp on them bad. The YFZ leaves so hard its not funny. Most Banshees have pipes, porting and air filter set up and I beat them good. The banshees can't believe it as I have a OMFG look as I beat them. They ask whats done and I tell them the truth. I have a 330cc big bore on my TRX250R so I can beat on the YFZ450. This bike is good woods and drag racing. I use the YFZ450 for every thing and love it.

Good Luck in your choice. I hope I helped in your choice.

05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
The reply above about says it all. I will be trying my 450 out this weekend at Pismo. I will definately race my son many times on my pred. The results should be interesting. Will a bone stock YFZ with the airbox lid off beat a piped and jetted Predator? We will know on Tuesday the 31st.......:D

methyman
05-26-2005, 04:20 PM
The Predator is no match for my YFZ450 to be honest. I have a couple of friends with Predators and they try the YFZ all the time with no luck at all. They have a pipe and jet kit with the rev box. Im running the stock ignition box. I have no need to raise the RPM limit on the YFZ450. Its revs high enough for me in stock form.

YFZCHAMP
05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
You should get or try a Punisher ignition, it changes your timing as well as raise the revs, so the quad (yfz450) handles better, the power stays at a higher level thus less shifting. So if you trail ride , dune or race, this makes you faster and takes less clutch work.

ENJOY THE RIDE, whatever it is!

03400EX_Nacs
05-29-2005, 09:30 PM
well, my brother has a predator with everything you can get done to it done... i have a yfz and my brother has rode it and complimented me on it and says he likes it and if he could go back he could get one. and yesterday at a race his pred messed up for the 500th time and he had to finish his main on mine and loved it..... i mean everything done and i still cant stand it... i hope this helps your decision

05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Well the results are in. I just recently bought a special edition YFZ and I own a 2004 Predator piped and jetted. My son and I went to Pismo and raced over and over. He beat me every single time except once! His YFZ is bone stock with the airbox lid off. In fact, he beat everyone out there except a Banshee with a 4 foot swinger and a crazy cannondale. I was so impressed with his bike, that I might buy another!:D

sampleez
05-30-2005, 11:10 PM
you aint seen nothin yet. wait till you get a pipe, do the cam mod(really worth it), and an intake. you'll be $hittin on yourself :D :D

blake_mx_racer
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
buy a honda or honda ;)

Blake

Fred55
05-31-2005, 09:24 PM
I owned a 2003 Predator before my 2005 YFZ, i cant tell you the predator handles great and is comfortable..but its deff heavier than a 450! if your not going to be racing really competativily a predator will be great...the shocks on the TLD are just AWESOME! if your racing id go 450, but youll have to ride each to find what you like.

sampleez
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
hey blake, where in west ky are you

Toadz400
06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Ride both and see which one you are more comfortable with. I might be picking up an '05 YFZ on Friday.

Where in WI are you?

06-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Even though my son's stock YFZ is much faster than my Pred, I still prefer my Pred. It takes trail jumps really nice, flies level, is very comfortable and not even a YFZ could lose me on the trails. I have noticed another thing since observing YFZ's, if you race them up a hill, the Preds will stay much closer or even beat them. I think it is the torque thing. :macho

Toadz400
06-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by golfman400ex
I have noticed another thing since observing YFZ's, if you race them up a hill, the Preds will stay much closer or even beat them. I think it is the torque thing. :macho

I've noticed the same thing with my YFZ. Fast as hell in acceleration but not nearly as much torque as my 400ex. That's one thing I'll miss about the 400ex until this winter when I start modding the YFZ.

racerxxgncc
06-12-2005, 02:39 AM
I would think resale would be a major factor as well as everything else thats already been said. Your polaris won't bring as much money to the next buyer. I don't know how well they sell around your town but here you can't hardly give them away. A friend of mine can't get rid of his. And wishing he would have got a yamaha or a honda he could at least sell that if he wanted.

06-12-2005, 02:04 PM
About the resale value.....in the past, all you saw were 400exs' on the beach. Now all you see are YFZs' and predators. I think now that the Predator was named bike of the year for 3 straight years in a row the resale value will be fine.:macho

HungreePRedator
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I know you guys are gonna hate me for writing this as I see this is a Yammie and Honda Biased place, but I get annoyed with all the little fanboys claiming they know about such things like how fast a predator is when they dont own one.
I ride with about 16 people when i ride and a majority of them have 450rs and yzf 450s, and raptors.
I have an 04 TLD PRed and I have never been beaten by any 450 PERIOD. I dont know why u go to so many sites and see people writing such trash, but it just isnt true, but thats not why im responding to the threads.
The point is, there are so many factors involved in why someone beats someone else, weight, gearing, jetting, altitude, etc etc.
Theres so many variables, but one remains true about the PRed Vs any 450 is this; they are made for two different reasons.
the pred is a Open class trail machine.
the Yfz is a race quad, and so is the 450r.
The yf gets to each corner faster once u round the corner and hit the throttle the YF is a fast bike and im not doubting that, but that is better suited for racing and jumping.
Straight line from 0- top speed? no way is the Y beatng my predator, only the highly modded raptor beats me.

But despite the fact that they are so different, how bout the weight? theres a 70 lb difference with the gas tank full!
The Predator has 50 more CC's which makes up for the weight difference.
So the moral of the story is; get what bike u are comfortable sitting on, me personally I feel the 450s are WAY too small for me(6'0 210lbs) I feel like im sitting on a warrior when im on it, but thats just me. Maybe the 450s are faster, but i would rather be on something bigger and more comfie like my pred.
So dont let any of these guys sway your decision, its about how u feel on the bike, comfort is everything when u are riding over whoops for 5 hours at a time.
(04 TLD Predator High Compression Piston, Yosh full titanium exhaust, outerwear prefilter, jetted.)http://imageevent.com/action_jacks_son/112304?p=3&n=1&m=10&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2http://imageevent.com/action_jacks_son/112304?p=3&n=1&m=10&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

250r4life
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
dude... this thread is a year old.. and nothing has changed... the 450's are still faster and polaris still makes junk...

HungreePRedator
06-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Exactly what I was talking about..People like you with your lame posts is what makes it hard for people to decide what to get.
My quad has been ultra reliable, more so than my trx 250r EVER was. Try and say something nice for a change instead of your idiotic posts.
And 450s are NOT faster thats just your biased opinion.

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Experience is different from an opinion. Don't get pissed at what some one else has gone through... if you are doing good and enjoying what you have, then there is really no need to get upset. :ermm:

HungreePRedator
06-22-2006, 01:50 PM
great, dont know if anyone asked for your opinion but thanks for being so concerned with my well being.

250r4life
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by HungreePRedator
great, dont know if anyone asked for your opinion but thanks for being so concerned with my well being.

who the hell asked for your opinion then!!! especially a year late!!!

come down my way and i'll show you how slow your POS polaris is on both my 250r and my buddies yfz...

exactly what chevy z said- if your bike is really that good then why does it bother you? and if it is really superior to the 450s, then thats great that people say the predators suck cuz then less people will buy them, and according to your logic that they are better, that would put you in a higher percentile...

250r4life
06-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Experience is different from an opinion. . :ermm:

sweetness... couldnt have said it better myself... lots and lots of experiance...

250r4life
06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
and just for your reading pleasure, i have dug up a couple direct quotes from other members os this site regarding the polaris... enjoy...

Just to let you guys know I was a service manager and mechanic at a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris dealership. Every quad has issues if you don't clean and maintenance the thing. I've seen many wierd issues on all brands. I will say this though, Polaris is in the business of selling parts especially bearings. Thier replacement parts need serviced often and replaced much more than other manufactures. If you do get a polaris always replace parts with aftermarket parts. I personally would never own a polaris as to the many things I have seen. But my uncle loves polaris and has owned almost every model they have ever had. He now owns a predator. He likes to replace parts.

I own a 03' Pred and 05' Pred.

As far as replacement parts, the 03' pretty much needs a whole new front end. Although, that machine has about 250+ hours on stock bushings and bearings.

My 05', I have had better luck with. Have about 70+ hours on it and everything is as tight as the day I brought her home. Other than the transmission locking up, I have no complaints.

However, I will take this opportunity to mention that I will NEVER buy another Predator until there is a different motor in that bike. The transmissions are JUNK in all of them!

I will never sell my Predator, too much money in it, but, I will most likely be a 450ER owner by the end of the year.

.........if it smells like sh_t, and looks like sh_t, and there is a pile of toilet paper beside it........it prob. is a polaris.

GPracer2500
06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey 250r4life, I lost track of that air filter thread or whatever it was....

I mostly ride my quad at Glamis. Sometimes Gordons Well and Buttercup too. I've really gotten into dual sport riding on my XR650R recently so the quad doesn't get used all that much locally. But I've hit up all the usual spots--4 peaks, Sycamore creek, etc. I found some cool places down a little south of Florence Junction (Box Canyon area). There's a really neat abandon mine out there (Maritnez Mine)--a couple old steam engines and everthing.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/6165/12987426842ead4d407o9gi.jpg

My last longer dual sport ride was from my house in Chandler to my buddies house in Snowflake. Once we hit Butcher Jones over by Saguaro Lake it was 90% dirt the rest of the way. Took us 9 hours. My bud was on a street legaled Raptor700. Very fun ride.

250r4life
06-22-2006, 02:56 PM
no way... that sounds pretty sweet... what'd ya'll do for gas?

so did ya'll ride on the street to get to butcher jones, and then ride butcher jones over to 4 peaks, and then take that back to roosevelt (i heard you can do that and would like to, but i'd probably use about 10 gallons to get there on my bike)? how'd ya'll find out about the trails and stuff to get there?

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 03:13 PM
great, dont know if anyone asked for your opinion but thanks for being so concerned with my well being. Isn't it great how we can post here with being personally asked for input?! :blah:

250r4life
06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
yah... if you dont want comments, dont post on forums... maybe getting on people for what they think, yah, but not because they posted... :D thats kinda the point of the forum :D

GPracer2500
06-22-2006, 03:30 PM
There's a gas station at the backside/bottom of Fourpeaks and there's another one in Young. With the 5 gallon tank on my XR I didn't even need to get gas in Young. My bud carried an extra fuel tank but he might have been able to make it without that--would of been close.

We found the route using maps that show National Forest roads. Google maps was really usefull too.

Here's a ride report with more details: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361280&highlight=snowflake

250r4life
06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
that sounds like a blast... when i get my yfz 450, i will have to let you know to invite me next time... :D

HungreePRedator
06-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Listen 250er for life, I was just simply stating that there are people that have had good luck with PRedators, like me. Ive owned quite a few bikes in my time, as i am 35 years old, even owned an 85 ATC 250R, and I loved that too, along with a 87 250r 4trax.
Me personally, I spent more time fixing the 4trax then actually riding it, so thats where i got that from.........experience. Before my 04 TLD Predator I had a 98 Banshee worked to the bones.
I can be a man and say that I loved 2 strokes, both of those bikes were a blast to ride, but like I am going to maintain............they take a LOT OF MAINTENANCE to keep running as you know because you own one. My PRed has been problem free and reliable, and its a lot faster than my banshee from 1st to 3rd gear, then the banshee would make mince meat out of the pred..that I know. But lets get back to your ego now,
YOU are the one crying here, because you keep responding to me in a hostile manner, me on the other hand have been calm since the beginning in stating what a STUMP you are, obviously you are from AZ so i can understand your asanine train of thought.
So keep responding with your blithering idiotic raves about how your bike is so much better, its entertaining to me, and you look so cool to everyone else here, but for the sake of all that is good, stop talking about something that you dont own, or have never owned, because you dont know what your talkin about. Ill be riding my Pred while you keep tearing the top end out of your bike every 20 hours, so good luck.
And to everyone else Predators arent as bad as 250er for life would make you think.

GPracer2500
06-23-2006, 10:16 AM
....obviously you are from AZ so i can understand your asanine train of thought....

WTF? :huh

250r4life
06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
WTF? :huh

exactly... what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

250r4life
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Listen 250er for life, I was just simply stating that there are people that have had good luck with PRedators, like me. Ive owned quite a few bikes in my time, as i am 35 years old, even owned an 85 ATC 250R, and I loved that too, along with a 87 250r 4trax.
Me personally, I spent more time fixing the 4trax then actually riding it, so thats where i got that from.........experience. Before my 04 TLD Predator I had a 98 Banshee worked to the bones.
I can be a man and say that I loved 2 strokes, both of those bikes were a blast to ride, but like I am going to maintain............they take a LOT OF MAINTENANCE to keep running as you know because you own one. My PRed has been problem free and reliable, and its a lot faster than my banshee from 1st to 3rd gear, then the banshee would make mince meat out of the pred..that I know. But lets get back to your ego now,
YOU are the one crying here, because you keep responding to me in a hostile manner, me on the other hand have been calm since the beginning in stating what a STUMP you are, obviously you are from AZ so i can understand your asanine train of thought.
So keep responding with your blithering idiotic raves about how your bike is so much better, its entertaining to me, and you look so cool to everyone else here, but for the sake of all that is good, stop talking about something that you dont own, or have never owned, because you dont know what your talkin about. Ill be riding my Pred while you keep tearing the top end out of your bike every 20 hours, so good luck.
And to everyone else Predators arent as bad as 250er for life would make you think.

in a hostile manner... man i dont take too much too seriously- especially not over the internet... ive been calm the whole time too...
k- i'm glad you have had luck with your predator... i really am... i dont wish a lemon on anybody, cuz i know how much i love to ride and i wouldnt want to chill at camp, and i dont wish that upon anybody... well, actually, but thats beside the point :) you seem like a good enough guy... but i say what i say not to say that every single polaris is gunna be a lemon, just that the percentage is higher than other brands and that no i do not believe that they are as reliable as other brands in general either... shoot- even a blind squirelll finds an accorn every once in a while... :D
as far as my 250r... this is besides the point, but you picked the wrong bike to compare to... i really do have to say that reliability wise the 250r has to have been the best built high perfromance bike (im saying reliabiltiy... not neccessarily performance as i realize stock for stock the 450s have surpased it). i have an 89 R, that until last summer the engine was completely original, and it would have remained so if i didnt love shooting the hill so much... my good riding buddy has an 88r, that is until this day still original... he has replaced the clutch plates, but the basket and everythign as well is still original... and there is one other person in our group, that has an 87 r that the only thing that isnt original is the silencer, the grips, the filter, and the tires... mine and my buddies have pipes and rad vales, etc... but the engine was/is original... mind these are not bikes that sit in the garage, but are taken to the dunes 10 times a year in addition to other riding... but like i said this is besides the point...
the argument was not that my bike was better, it was that the 450s are faster, which they are... and no i have never owned a polaris, never will... but i have plenty of time racing them and the 450s, and from many hours of racing, i can tell you the 450s are faster...
so like i said, this isnt a "2 stroke vs 4 stroke" or 250r vs pedator discussion... its a predator vs 450, and the 450 is faster...

250r4life
06-23-2006, 12:01 PM
ps... blithering idiot raves huh?

this thread is a year old!!! who went into the dungeon to find it and bring it up and go ranting and raving about how the predator hasnt gotten a fair shake?

too funny man...

HungreePRedator
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Your absolutely right, its senseless to argue over a forum when the whole truth of the matter is that everyone has their own opinion. Again I will be the man and apologize for the previous statements, again I admit they were a bit childish, but hey what the F.
Just to set the record straight I never said my bike was better than yours, or vice a versa, only making the point that maybe the people riding the predators werent exactly "Experienced" as u say.
I have never come even close to losing to a 450 on a drag. NEVER, so to say that they are faster which they ARENT, would be a vague and truthless statement. Now if you want to talk about track time, well you got me there because theres no way in hell the Predator has a shot against any 450 in that scenario.
Theres one guy that we see everytime we ride, and he gets pissed when i beat him by 4 bike lengths on the drag on his 05 450 YFZ.
15+ years of riding experience, Piped, Jetted, Air Box, beadlock carbon fiber rims, and hot cam, and still cant beat the POS Predator.....Now if i only raced one of them I would say that maybe your right but Ive raced over 7 of them all with the same results. So it comes down to whatever the riding scenario is: track= 450s hands down Trail=Predator hands down
Drags=Predator all day long.
2504 life again i apologize for the remarks, remember u are the one that fired the first shot "Bring your POS polaris down here" so thats why i acted in that manner, anyway good luck, and u are one of the lucky ones to have one of the best quads of all time in the 250R, I loved mine and wish i still had it, and have a good day.

250r4life
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
no man youre right... i was a punk... i came out and said polaris makes junk, which i really do feel that is true, but i could have said it diff.. like i said- i dont take anything too seriously on here and i definately dont let it bug me, so i say stuff in a joking around matter...

who knows... you very well could have never lost to a 450... i dont know if your high comp piston does quite a bit, or that the 450 riders dont know how to ride too well, or both... or that those tires you have get better traction??? there are so many variables...

ive beaten piped raptors and piped 450rs on an 03 raptor with a K&N, baffle removed, and a 12 tooth sprocket... was the bike faster? no

in my experience my 250r with the original engine and piped and filter and what not, would be slightly faster than the predator racing up the hill at the duens... i know people who really love the predator though... if it works for you that is all that matters...

CHEVYZ
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I am glad that everyone can discuss things in an appropriate manner, and apologize for their mistakes. That is almost a first on ATVriders. Like you guys were saying, I have no doubt about what anyone says (Well.... most) is true.... there is ALWAYS a possibilty. I have been there and done that with sooo many things, and I know that there is more to any race than the model of bike you are on. I personally, think that every brand, and every quad for that matter, has their ups and downs, and none should be treated like trash. When it comes to things like that, it is really all about what YOU like... I agree that you can have fun and joke around, but in the end, didn't we all join this sport to have fun? LOL, just wanted to add my opinion in the one happy, "Get along moment" around here.

250r4life
06-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I am glad that everyone can discuss things in an appropriate manner, and apologize for their mistakes. That is almost a first on ATVriders. Like you guys were saying, I have no doubt about what anyone says (Well.... most) is true.... there is ALWAYS a possibilty. I have been there and done that with sooo many things, and I know that there is more to any race than the model of bike you are on. I personally, think that every brand, and every quad for that matter, has their ups and downs, and none should be treated like trash. When it comes to things like that, it is really all about what YOU like... I agree that you can have fun and joke around, but in the end, didn't we all join this sport to have fun? LOL, just wanted to add my opinion in the one happy, "Get along moment" around here.

ahh... group hug... nevermind- lets go race instead and loser buys lunch...

CHEVYZ
06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Aight.... whose picking me up, cause there is no way in hell I am driving all the way to AZ.:p

LOUDONE
06-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by methyman
I best advise I can give you is to try to find someone with the bikes you are looking to buy and you make the choice. I wanted the TRX450R because I am a Honda man. I love my 1986 TRX250R. The feel of the TRX450R was so fimilar to my old 400EX to me, which I didnt like after being on the best handling bike(TRX250R). I felt a little more comfortable on the YFZ450 and has electric start so my son can ride it. The seat took a while to get used to but thats no big deal. I have put a Sparks pipe, air filter set up, jet kit, cam mod and 15 tooth sprocket. The bike is so fast I cant understand it. I race some Banshees with it and stomp on them bad. The YFZ leaves so hard its not funny. Most Banshees have pipes, porting and air filter set up and I beat them good. The banshees can't believe it as I have a OMFG look as I beat them. They ask whats done and I tell them the truth. I have a 330cc big bore on my TRX250R so I can beat on the YFZ450. This bike is good woods and drag racing. I use the YFZ450 for every thing and love it.

Good Luck in your choice. I hope I helped in your choice.
Not only can this guy not speak english, but he is full of **** too!

Toadz400
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by LOUDONE
Not only can this guy not speak english, but he is full of **** too!

Why? I read what he said and I don't see any bullsh*t? Or is it just because you own a Banshee? Btw, if that's your Banshee...my props go to you, that is one sweet looking 'Shee! I'm going to be getting mine redone soon, a replacement engine is coming in the mail soon.

I own a YFZ450 and a Banshee, a YFZ450 is faster most of the time...that is unless you can get the Banshee to get some decent traction, than I don't think much can touch it.:D

LOUDONE
06-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Why? I read what he said and I don't see any bullsh*t? Or is it just because you own a Banshee? Btw, if that's your Banshee...my props go to you, that is one sweet looking 'Shee! I'm going to be getting mine redone soon, a replacement engine is coming in the mail soon.

I own a YFZ450 and a Banshee, a YFZ450 is faster most of the time...that is unless you can get the Banshee to get some decent traction, than I don't think much can touch it.:D

Thanks for the compliment! YFZ 450's are amazing. I'm looking into getting some Laeger A-Arms for my Shee...