PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator vs. Yamaha YFZ450

gnttype
05-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I am looking for feedback regarding the Polaris Predator and the Yamaha YFZ450. I am having trouble deciding which one to buy. Any information you can offer regarding features, how they ride, why you bought one or the other, what your buddies think about them, etc., it would be much appreciated. Please let me know what type of rider you are (dunes, jumping, trails, racing, and your age) so I can weigh that against your comments. Thanks.

initall
05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
gnttype

what part of WI are you from?

I would go with the YFZ I hear nothing but good about them.

The Pred I do not know much about

Hondadudeehhhh
05-18-2005, 12:42 PM
the yfz will tool the pred in any type of riding. The pred is a really fun quad to ride and i wouldnt mind having one but the 450 will just own it in any style of riding.

05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
http://yfzcentral.com/videos/predatorvsyfz.wmv
dont know if it will help much but it shows a yfz burnin up a predator:macho

QuadJunkies
05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
http://yfzcentral.com/videos/predatorvsyfz.wmv
dont know if it will help much but it shows a yfz burnin up a predator:macho that can go both ways and I got the video to prove it....... :D

Both are great quads, just depends on really what you are looking for and what you mainly will be riding. The YFZ is one Fast quad, but I personally dont like the fit and feel as well ,it would take me some getting use to . Same goes for riders on a Predator. We mainly ride our on MX, FT, and sand and open trail .Have you tired out both quads yet?? You may feel cramped on a YFZ.
Can i ask why your not in for a new Honda??? It all comes down to fit and feel ,each quad has its own flaws..

dtzalba450r
05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I'd take either bike. I've ridden two yfzs and their power is explosive and just a fun bike to ride. My neigbor has a predator and that thing handles great, good power and I've never even noticed the weight that everyone complains about. I can't even say that if you want to drag race to buy a yfz because I've seen a few preds that were pretty damn fast. See if you can ride them both and make your own decision.

aci clay
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
is there any section in this forum where you didn't post this question?

QuadJunkies
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by aci clay
is there any section in this forum where you didn't post this question? LOL I was thinking that too :o :p I guess he just wanted to make sure EVERYONE seen his question!

Toadz400
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Where in Wisconsin do you live?

I've never ridden a Predator so I can't say anything about them, but I have ridden the YFZ and loved every second of it except for the handlebars. Otherwise I felt just fine on it, fit my riding style perfectly - always going as fast as possible.

My suggestion is to try both quads out and see which one suits you better. If you want to race in the 450 class, then it'd obviously be the more wiser choice to go with the YFZ...

400exredrider
05-18-2005, 10:34 PM
if you plan on trail riding id go with an 05 predator,,, they really revamped the thing,, the predators are slower but the YFZs run harder and will need rebuilt sooner, you should throw a 450R into the deal because no its not as fast as the YFZ,, yes its faster than the predator, it handles great ideal for trails, and if you dont mind kick start its a really great quad.

Rico400
05-18-2005, 10:44 PM
ive never ridden the yfz, but i went and looked at some and when i sat on them they just felt really weird. i asked one of the guys at the dealership and he said that was peoples only complaint, that it felt werid sitting on it. besides that there awesome

BadAss03
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I own a pred and i love it. I do mostly trail riding and i think that the extra weight makes it more stable and durable. As far as drag racing goes, the 450's and the pred are all very fast quads. Those kinds of races all depend on the driver. I have taken stock yfz's and 450r's (my quad is also stock). And i have also been beaten by them. The Yfz is a better quad for mx racing cause it is lighter, but i think that the pred is a better all around machine. Plus the 05 has reverse and that can really come in handy on the trails. It really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. Hope this helps.

Tim

BadAss03
05-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
the yfz will tool the pred in any type of riding. The pred is a really fun quad to ride and i wouldnt mind having one but the 450 will just own it in any style of riding.

You are wrong my friend. Like I said it all depends on the driver. A good driver makes a world of a difference.

Tom TRX250R
05-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Honestly I have ridden a couple Predators and I don't know why everyone talks **** on them because for everyday riding I think they are a great quad! Yeah if your strictly doing MX racing and wanting Power/Weight ratio then go for the YFZ but I still think Polaris hit the nail on the head with the production of the Predator for an all around great quad! After riding a couple of them I was amazed at how good it handled, I didn't feel any bumpsteer while punching it threw the corners. It did have a tendency to spin a lot but it loved the high revs like a two stroke (which I love!) and it overall was a really fun quad to ride!

660rider
05-30-2005, 08:45 PM
i rode a preditor today its like riding a cow or fat chick compared to my rappy and it has aboput $2000in it and i still walked it like no other

Doober
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rico400
ive never ridden the yfz, but i went and looked at some and when i sat on them they just felt really weird. i asked one of the guys at the dealership and he said that was peoples only complaint, that it felt werid sitting on it. besides that there awesome

now that i have the yfz everyother 4 wheeler i sit on feels weird to me... i loaded up my cousins z and was like *** this is a lot different...but its all on how comfortable you are on one

LTZ400rider
05-31-2005, 08:22 AM
the predator probaly has the sickest stock suspension. i heard they handle great. i rode one and it was fast, except the steering stem was bent and it felt like it had a super tight steerin damperner on it. if i were u the i would get the yfz

jwick07
05-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I worked at a shop that sold Polaris Predators and we worked on them a lot. Tranny problems mainly, The palstic is not as flexiable and breaks, some bolts are metric, some standard, some star head, some allen, just really seems sloppy on the fit and finish, The seat is too U shaped but yet still has this weird hump in it, the shape of the seat makes the riding postion weird, the ergos are poor for taller, leggier riders, lots of wasted tire spin like a two stroke, not like todays four strokes, they are heavy and I think a bit tippy,

I watched a guy at a race two years ago land a big double on his he didn't pull it up short but on impact the right footpeg broke free and it has brackets hooked to the fenders and when the footpeg came free it took him and the whole back plastics with it.

Only good thing about them I think is the Maxis tires, and Fox shocks

just my 2 pennies

Buy what makes you happy and you can afford and wont break

HONDA

LeGaCyGiAnT124
05-31-2005, 08:08 PM
the predator is fast and has awsome suspension as someone else said. but they are really heavy and stuff.

get the yfz man, it will be more worth it