PDA

View Full Version : Z400 ???

patrick delao
05-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Came across a new Z400 over the weekend and raced it with my new piped raptor. Easy win for the raptor. If you have a piped 400ex fill free to all the smack you want you will kill the Z400 easy. If I had my 440EX still and the Z400 was piped I would still race title for title without sweating it at all there that slow. I Was really expecting ALOT faster then it was, very dissapointing

Sparkles
05-21-2002, 11:39 AM
thats good to hear:)

Guy400
05-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by patrick delao
If you have a piped 400ex fill free to all the smack you want you will kill the Z400 easy.Contrary to what everyone else says:rolleyes:

400exRacerX
05-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Everyone that owns a 400ex should just get over it, suck it up, and realize there are faster quads!!

05-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Everyone that owns a 400ex should just get over it, suck it up, and realize there are faster quads!!

Yeah right..:rolleyes: nuthin can beat a 400ex..:devil

luvmyex
05-28-2002, 09:10 AM
I rode my buddy's z400 this weekend.It does feel real peppy.I liked the way it jumped,felt very light and landed well.I didnt like they way it handled(Maybe just not used to it)It felt a bit top heavy or tippy in corners.And i also had a lil trouble turning when accelerating,the front would push.But it did smoke my butt in a drag.Twice!I mean smoked,tru every gear, but once wound out he wouldnt pull anymore on me so i think the top end is close.But I do need rear tires too.got alot of spin on the take off.

Rider#11
05-30-2002, 09:55 PM
i agree 400exracerx

Zero Z400
05-30-2002, 10:21 PM
I agree with him too. I admit there is a tiny bit of push in the corners but nothing some diff. tires can't solve. I like having the real easy clutch, i rode my buddy 400ex and i was used to mine and i pulled it went no where then i realized i need to pull hard. And it doesn't shake as much. If the front end didn't push that tiny bit i think the handling would be the same as an ex. I like the suspension softness but if i went on an mx i think it would bottom to easy but it good fo trails. And there way more power on tap than the ex, i havn't opened my up yet and i feel. If appleman is being dumb and being egotistical he'll admit the Z is fatser/torqier (sp?)

Later

GrounD PoundeR
05-31-2002, 09:53 PM
I've been told there is a difference between the 400ex and z400 like the Z400 has a higher compression piston and a more aggresive factory cam...If you put the same style piston and cam in the 400 ex there about dead even, but thats all hear say..

Grass is alway greener on the other side of the fence.

06-01-2002, 05:00 PM
i saw one too, only complaint i had was i did not get to drag it, and it sounds like a breeze stock, its the most weakest stock high proformance sound i have ever heard!!! imo

06-02-2002, 12:59 AM
why admit something is better than your own quad, thats the way i think anyway, when good ol honda gets some balls and quits worryina bout lawsuits and the such, and teh crf 440 comes out, all the z400 owners will be cryin as well, so, dont worry, their time will come, hopefully soon too

06-05-2002, 10:52 PM
I heard the Z400 is dual over head cam??? I am not sweating the Z400. It might be faster but I don't think its going to be by much and riding skills will make up for it if it is faster. The problem I see is everyone is moving up in CC's. Suck-zuki should have made the Z400 about 2 years ago. Honda is going to make something bigger like a 600. Yamaha already made a 660. Suzuki is LATE if you ask me. No one wants a 400 anymore then are waiting for a 600 or bigger. Also in this issue of DW, it said that Suzuki and Kawasaki is going to have a partnership they will and I quote

share all cost
share research and development
and maybe even let Kawasaki throw green plastic on a Z400 and call it a 400 Mojave!

What does this mean? Maybe that they had to join forces to compete with Honda and Yamaha? Could you imagen what kind of crazy whack quad would be made if Honda and Yamaha joined forces? Suzuki hasen't made a quad in 15 years all I have to say about it is I am not going to be the guy to buy the Z400 the first year out, didn't do it with the raptor or the 400EX, look what happened to the raptor the first year out. JMO!

Guy400
06-06-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Honda4hundredEX
I heard the Z400 is dual over head cam??? I am not sweating the Z400. It might be faster but I don't think its going to be by much and riding skills will make up for it if it is faster. The problem I see is everyone is moving up in CC's. Suck-zuki should have made the Z400 about 2 years ago. Honda is going to make something bigger like a 600. Yamaha already made a 660. Suzuki is LATE if you ask me. No one wants a 400 anymore then are waiting for a 600 or bigger. Also in this issue of DW, it said that Suzuki and Kawasaki is going to have a partnership they will and I quote

share all cost
share research and development
and maybe even let Kawasaki throw green plastic on a Z400 and call it a 400 Mojave!

What does this mean? Maybe that they had to join forces to compete with Honda and Yamaha? Could you imagen what kind of crazy whack quad would be made if Honda and Yamaha joined forces? Suzuki hasen't made a quad in 15 years all I have to say about it is I am not going to be the guy to buy the Z400 the first year out, didn't do it with the raptor or the 400EX, look what happened to the raptor the first year out. JMO! Honda would be dumb to NOT make a 400cc quad. Anything bigger than 440 isn't legal by the AMA therefore everyone would have to race it in the open class. Suzuki proved that they can squeeze near Raptor horsepower out of a much smaller and lighter package. We've already seen GT Thunder's dyno pull of 46hp from an exhaust, intake and cam from the LTZ. Also, maybe you aren't old enough to remember but Suzuki made the LT250R all the way up until '92. That's 3 years longer than the gutsy Honda offered their 2-stroke sport quad.

06-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Near Raptor power in a lighter package? My friend owns a Raptor and has rode a New Z400. After he got off the Z400 for a test ride, he handed the key to the salesman got in his truck and said thats not even close to a Raptor its just another 400 4-stroke then left. I am not going to bash on Suzuki until I see a new Z400. All the major ATV makers don't direct their sales towards race ready quads anyways. C-dale is about the only one that does that. I highly doubt if Honda or Yamaha or Suzuki for that matter gives a crap if their stock quad fits into the legal race class as far as CC's go anyways. They are out to target the larger group of riders that ride on the weekends, not racers. I have never had faith in Suzuki, I think they need to stick to street bikes, things they are good at IMO.

Guy400
06-06-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm not saying that the Z400 will beat up on a Raptor in the drag race department but the dyno's tell the tale. LTZ400=33hp, Raptor=35hp. Same dyno made those runs. That's where I got near Raptor horsepower, not equal.

06-06-2002, 05:23 PM
I don't believe dynos tell the tail all the way. Real world horsepower cannot be given from a dyno run. My friends Raptor got a new horsepower reading everytime and I am not talking 1 or 2 ponys here like 5 or 10. Some poeple use a slick type tire when they run dyno's. Also if it is a one wheel motorcycle dyno you will not get an accurate reading you need a 2 wheel dyno. This are the problems I have ran into with dynos lately. I am just going to wait and hopefully I will get to race a Z400.

Adam496
06-12-2002, 01:49 PM
dirt wheels said stock z400 was two less horse power than raptor. and the reason u could of beat him is cause of the riders skills but the raptor is proply faster

bring it on a motorcross track and if the rider is good it would most likely beat the raptor cause of the raptors width

TRX250EXER
06-13-2002, 12:34 AM
Plus everyone on here that has one says their Z is gaining more power as the motor breaks in. Of course its not gonna seem that fast off the floor. The rings havent even seated yet.

R-Crazy
06-21-2002, 12:20 AM
not to flame but...
everyone with a 300 or a 250 (maybe lower) is really likin the new Z

Everyone with a 400ex is bashing the **** out of suzuki. Sayin it is unreliable, not fast, etc.

I think some people are a little jealous that the 400 now has a very good, probably better compatition(sp?).

dave

TRX250EXER
06-21-2002, 01:50 PM
The new atv action says that a 400ex with a WB cam or web cam (cant remember which) and an ignition and a high compression piston, piped, jetted hangs dead even with the Z400. Thats a lot of mods and money just to get something to hang with a quad that is the same price stock. Plus the 400ex will NEVER have a reverse!

Zero Z400
06-21-2002, 05:44 PM
The Z400 blows away the 400ex. Appleman847 has one and he rode mine and said its way faster. The 400ex turns sharper and a little better becuase of tires/suspension. The front supsesion is to soft and it sags in the corners.

Later

muff
06-23-2002, 08:18 AM
when I was in NH on Fri there was a z400 at the local shop and the thing looked so sweet, my friends gonna sell his 300ex and his Bayou and get it, he was going to get the 400ex, but cause the z has reverse and more power he's gonna get that, yeah, maybe it might not handle as good as a 400ex but that's something you can get use to

06-24-2002, 10:19 PM
one of my friends has a 400 ex with a high compression piston and some small engine work. it will do 82 mph then another has a z400 and he just took the baffle out. they raced in a drag and trail and the 400ex won both times. the one wid the 400ex is 15 and the other is 20. i am hopin to c them both race my other friends raptor

PismoGuy400
06-25-2002, 11:29 PM
personally,...i think the Z looks much better in white...

and another thing...suzuki needs to gain some independance...they stole the dimensions from honda, and the nose piece from bombardier....sure it might look neat, but cant they get their own designs???

TRX250EXER
06-25-2002, 11:58 PM
I know suzuki is kinda copying. but who in the 80's copied off of suzuki?? um... suzuki made the first on four wheels for one. two, they had the first 250R. honda just took the idea and made it better. Now thats all suzuki is doing. taking the 400ex and making it better. everyone copies off of everyone!!

muff
06-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by quad_freak14
I mean...put a bore on the 400ex and it will spank a Z400!!!

well duh, your making the engine bigger, if you bored the z out too i bet you the z would still be on top

you're like taking two stock 400ex's and boring one out to a 440, well i wonder which one will be faster

muff
06-26-2002, 06:01 PM
yeah i see what you mean now, i was talkin about the people who dont have a high performance machine how they would rather buy a new z400 over a new 400ex

06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
I Agree with RICO. Nuttin beats a 400Ex. I have raced a stock Z400 when i did and when i didn't have my pipe. When i had my pipe i smoked him. When i didn't have my pipe i still won but not by as much. The only reason everyone thinks teh Z400 is so fast is because its new and all the hype is on it now.

06-28-2002, 06:28 AM
I own both a z-400 and a 440ex and I'm really not biased either way because I plan on keep both of them. I'll have to say that the Z-400 in stock form has way more power than my modified 400 (440 kit cam full pipe etc.) But my Ex still has a small handling/bottom end punch edge over the new Z.
And BTW since I'm the first one on my block to get one, I've drag raced all my buddies to gage where there bikes stand compared to the Z and so far I've beat (3) 400's, 1 stock, one with a sparks pipe and my own 440ex, The Z and a stock raptor are pretty close, it seems like whoever gets out of the hole first would win, And my brothers piped, jetted and filter raptor would beat me every time by about 2 quad lengths (approx. 1/4 mile race)

07-05-2002, 05:00 PM
You 400EX guys have to calm down a little jeez! You guys get so pumped about the Z i'm not trying to piss anyone off but you guys seem a little jealous about the Z. Give the Z about 6 months and all the hype will come down a notch. I made my decision between the EX and the Z and I picked the Z because it has more power stock and reverse which I needed. I gave some serious thought about buying a new production quad but like I said before the the motor has been in the DRZ since 99 and can make some nice power. The axle problem isn't that big of a deal i'll just replace it with an aftermarket one.

Reliability is another factor which only time will tell.

Jekyl_22
07-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Well, heres the way I see it. You can always do something to add more power to your quad, but the handling is the thing that you can only do limited things to. You can always buy a turbo, nitrous, cam, etc.; you can only buy so much to make your quad handle better.

In reply to the Z400 and Raptor being close in power, peak horsepower isn't the same as power. Plus, the Raptor can get about 14 extra horsepower just from a pipe and jet kit (or something like that), that is pretty freakin' amazing!!! Let's see the Z400 do that.:eek:

Nausty
07-06-2002, 06:35 PM
that isn't true about adding a pipe and adjusting the jetting adding 14hp. If you saw it on the web or the person you were talking to said that saw it on the web then they probably saw it on a companies web site trying to sell there product. I can not beleive adding a exhaust and adjusting the jetting can add over a 1/3 more hp.

Jekyl_22
07-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Well on ce again it comes back to magazines (do they lie...?). There was a Dirtwheels a little while a go that showed improvements around 12-14hp from a pipe and rejeting or adding a power kit (can't remember exactly what it was).

TRX250EXER
07-07-2002, 12:13 PM
In dirtwheels they did a pipe shootout with a lot of different companies full exhaust systems. They all ranged from about 5 hp to about 12 or 14. The one that got the 12 or 14 I think was the CT pipe. But it came with the correct jet and a air filter too. none of the others did. AND YES the Z400 should do the same. The dirtbike motor when piped and jetted could gain 12 hp just from that. a 400ex gets what 2 more hp? this is all on the dirtwheels dyno. The same dyno they used on the 400ex pipe shootout. which didnt get any good results! everyone needs to calm down and admit that there 400ex isnt the fastest in its class anymore.

Jekyl_22
07-08-2002, 12:46 AM
I never said it was even close to being the fastest, just the best...:D