PDA

View Full Version : Hotcam / valve lash / jetting

Ugly Spud
05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi there,
i just put in a hotcams stage 1 on my 400ex. as expected it ticks like mad. can i use stock valve lash settings without catastrophic engine harm? (as opposed to the ones provided by hotcams on the little red card)i recall seeing someone on here saying they did this without problems.
also, will i need to re-jet just for the cam? ThanX!!

cals400ex
05-17-2005, 11:51 PM
we ran a snug .005 for the intake and a snug .006 for the exhaust. it did help quiet it down a bit. that cam is just loud though. the jetting probably won't chane a ton with just a cam. i guess it wouldn't hurt to check though.

RiderTRX400ex
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
yea.. what cals said

Ugly Spud
05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
i set the lash at a "snug" .005 intake and .006 exhaust. still pings a bit, but way more tolerable now. ThanX guys.

Daver
05-19-2005, 03:24 PM
i adjusted mine .004 intake an .005 exhaust with the stage 1 and it only tick when hot

Ugly Spud
05-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I think they all kinda tick a little when they're hot. even stock will tick when it's hot if you're using 10w-40 oil. im just figuring, you know it's time to adjust the valve lash when it starts to tick... but what if it always ticks, like with the stage 1, how do you know when to adjust the lash again?

orvs4me
05-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Its like changing the oil.............

Just put it on the list of things to-do at a certain interval.
i.e. every oil change.
every time you adjust your chain.
every time you check your tire pressure.
every time you schtup the wife or girlfriend.
What ever is easiest for you to remember.........LOL

spazzy973
05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
i am running a stage one cam in a 416 and it ticks so bad i almost don't want to get on it how do i "lash the valves" or whatever it is

Ugly Spud
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
to "Lash" the valves or adjust the "lash" simply means to set the clearances between the rocker arms and the valve. remove the four large round caps on your cylinder head cover. loosen the nut, it's 10mm. now insert a feeler gauge between the top of the valve, and the bottom of the flathead screw on the rocker (.005 intake with hotcams, and .006 exhaust with hotcams. thats thousandths of an inch) hold the feeler gauge there while gently snugging up the flathead screw. make sure the gauge still can slide in and out of the clearance. keep holding the flathead screwdriver, and the feeler gauge and tighten the nut. again make sure the feeler will move in and out relatively easily. some resistance is necessary to ensure proper clearance, but if it wont move, it's too tight. do this with all of the four rockers and then replace the four round covers. like everyone says, it will still ping louder than stock with a hotcam, but as long as the clearance is good, dont worry about it. you may wish to consult your OEM repair manual for illustrations of this proceedure. it's really not hard at all. just a little time consuming.

JOEX
05-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Ugly Spud
to "Lash" the valves or adjust the "lash" simply means to set the clearances between the rocker arms and the valve. remove the four large round caps on your cylinder head cover. loosen the nut, it's 10mm. now insert a feeler gauge between the top of the valve, and the bottom of the flathead screw on the rocker (.005 intake with hotcams, and .006 exhaust with hotcams. thats thousandths of an inch) hold the feeler gauge there while gently snugging up the flathead screw. make sure the gauge still can slide in and out of the clearance. keep holding the flathead screwdriver, and the feeler gauge and tighten the nut. again make sure the feeler will move in and out relatively easily. some resistance is necessary to ensure proper clearance, but if it wont move, it's too tight. do this with all of the four rockers and then replace the four round covers. like everyone says, it will still ping louder than stock with a hotcam, but as long as the clearance is good, dont worry about it. you may wish to consult your OEM repair manual for illustrations of this proceedure. it's really not hard at all. just a little time consuming.
The piston must be at top dead center on the compression stroke when checking valve clearances.

cals400ex
05-21-2005, 12:36 AM
here you go:

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

spazzy973
05-21-2005, 07:25 AM
thanks for the help i will try this tonight