PDA

View Full Version : rust holes in your truck

450rboy
05-17-2005, 08:17 PM
i got this truck and want to fix the rust holes in it. and this is how i was gonna go about doing it. i was gonna cut out around the rust hole and take another peice of this steal. and weld it into where the hole is. i will spot weld it.

but if any really knows how to do it please tell me

i am fixing up a 82 silverado truck with a 350 in it

Mxjunkie
05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Cut the piece of, cut piece, weld in, grind down welds, bondo, sand repeat till SMOOTH, paint, clear Make sure to unhook your battery.

I work in a auto body so if you need any help pm me

05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
what he said. hey what about primer. cant forget that. jk I am shure that you knew that one.

Mxjunkie
05-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
what he said. hey what about primer. cant forget that. jk I am shure that you knew that one.

dayum forgot that!

Epoxy Primer after your done sanding the bondo, be sure to WHIPE the areas clean before painting or it will cause lifts in the paint :)

TheFontMaster
05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
Cut the piece of, cut piece, weld in, grind down welds, bondo, sand repeat till SMOOTH, paint, clear Make sure to unhook your battery.

I work in a auto body so if you need any help pm me

Couldn't have said it better myself. Rust is a pain in the *** to fix and have it turn out right, so take your time, especialy on the bondo part, that is where everything gets all SMOOTH as josh put it. Sand down the bondo with 40 grit, then 80 grit, then 180 grit sand paper. It is very important to make shure all of the 40 scratches are out of the bondo, they will show through the paint.

05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I dono about you, but I use a guide coat when sanding primer. so I can tell where the pits are a lot easier. Do you?

TheFontMaster
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I dono about you, but I use a guide coat when sanding primer. so I can tell where the pits are a lot easier. Do you?

Not only is it good for pits but you can tell any high and low spots as well. Guide coat is basicaly a spray paint that you very lightly spray ofer the primer before wet sanding in case anyone didn;t know.

Mxjunkie
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I use 80 then 180 on bondo. Also when using the bondo only make enough to do the job! the stuff dries quick and isnt to cheap ;)

for primer we use 320.

theTman
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
duct tape and spray paint:o

naw...listen to josh he knows what hes talkin about

bulkdriverlp
05-17-2005, 08:44 PM
heres an easier way, put a metal patch in, sand down the welds and spray that spray-in bedliner on the whole truck, last forever:p

400exrules
05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
spray that spray-in bedliner on the whole truck, last forever:p

ive actually heard of ppl wanting to to get their whole truck rhino-lined ( i think some have ) cuz all they do is offroad

bulkdriverlp
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
my neighbor owns a accesory shop and did his whole chevy truck with red. its real durable and i doubt water will get underneath to rust anything.lol:blah:

Mxjunkie
05-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
my neighbor owns a accesory shop and did his whole chevy truck with red. its real durable and i doubt water will get underneath to rust anything.lol:blah:

haha, I saw the red color on a ford I just fixed, its pretty trick looking I know that we use the rubberized spray that protects the undercarage of the car so you figure why not protect the entire truck! He'll have fun getting it fixed though if he crashes lol, Cant really do body work on it :p

rodenberg35
05-17-2005, 08:54 PM
just piss on it! it's a chevy!

05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
I have seen some of that under coating stuff just trap in watter and rust the frame and stuff worse than if it was just bare.

nothin beats the anual oil undercoat as far as beating rust.

TheFontMaster
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I have seen some of that under coating stuff just trap in watter and rust the frame and stuff worse than if it was just bare.

nothin beats the anual oil undercoat as far as beating rust.

The bronco that I;m buying has undercoating on the bottom of it, and is still in awsome condition. It is a 92 and has been off roaded. Mabey they were different companys or something, or it wasn't put on right.

05-17-2005, 09:03 PM
probably, the one I saw flaked off in one spot then the watter just got traped behind it and did its dirty work.

JTRtrx250r
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM
I go a 75 chev 4x thats full of holes:D :o so instead of fixing them ... I just watch them grow:rolleyes: :o

underpowered
05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
where are the holes at. my guess would be the rocker panels. bed, right above the fenderwells, and possibly the cab corners? You ban actually buy entire patch panels for these areas that you cut out a whole section and weld in the new one. My brother has a '68 that he is doing this on. much easier than cutting and welding just a small patch and getting the patch perfect. just my .02, if that is where your rust is.

JTRtrx250r
05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
where are the holes at. my guess would be the rocker panels. bed, right above the fenderwells, and possibly the cab corners? You ban actually buy entire patch panels for these areas that you cut out a whole section and weld in the new one. My brother has a '68 that he is doing this on. much easier than cutting and welding just a small patch and getting the patch perfect. just my .02, if that is where your rust is. LMAO... you pretty much nailed it w/ my ol' Chev, you must of had 1 or more, we call it Chev'izm instead of body cancer:D I dont know if I'll ever fix it or not, had it for 12+ yrs and she's gettin' old, just used it for racing and hauling atvs/bikes

a little Toyota 4x4 has been lookin' good lately, these gas prices are making it just sit all the more:rolleyes: :(

Mxjunkie
05-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
where are the holes at. my guess would be the rocker panels. bed, right above the fenderwells, and possibly the cab corners? You ban actually buy entire patch panels for these areas that you cut out a whole section and weld in the new one. My brother has a '68 that he is doing this on. much easier than cutting and welding just a small patch and getting the patch perfect. just my .02, if that is where your rust is.

Some of those pieces are EXPENSIVE, alot of the times you can take a front fender from your scrap pile cut it and it works with the contour it the car is like that, but the cab corners I would most deff recomend buying them or learn how to shape metal. the early-mid chevys did have some rust issues, Mainly in the floorboard/rear corners of the beds and such.

450rboy
05-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
LMAO... you pretty much nailed it w/ my ol' Chev, you must of had 1 or more, we call it Chev'izm instead of body cancer:D I dont know if I'll ever fix it or not, had it for 12+ yrs and she's gettin' old, just used it for racing and hauling atvs/bikes

a little Toyota 4x4 has been lookin' good lately, these gas prices are making it just sit all the more:rolleyes: :(

hey did you ever here a long time ago when this guy made a car run 200 mpg. but you need a carb to do this actusually. i use to know a guy that did this to his old chevy truck and can you guess how much he got per gallon. 70 mile to a gallon. and that is on a old truck. i wish i still know the guy or where he is now and i don't even know if he gots his truck still. in stead of using gas going right into the engine. this thing uses gas vapors. if you could ever find the popular mechanics magazines. it was in the year of 1982 isses. i don't know which month it is though. i have seen one before but the pages were riped out of them. but there are things all over the internet if anyone can find them. i can't lol

good luck

underpowered
05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
LMAO... you pretty much nailed it w/ my ol' Chev, you must of had 1 or more
I own 1, but my brother owns 3: 1 1969 and 2 1968's.

a little Toyota 4x4 has been lookin' good lately, these gas prices are making it just sit all the more
Those little toyotas, mainly the older ones are know to be bvulnerable to cance as well. i had an '89 and the fenders had quite a few holes in them. and my brother has a '94 that is about to be upgraded to a beater when he gets one of his other trucks drivable. it has a lot of rust on it, and a lot of other body damage to match.

Fender Bender
05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Everyone pretty much gave you accurate information. Be sure to use alternate spot welds, such as start in the top right corner, then the bottom left, etc.

Also, I wouldn't use Bondo brand body filler. I would go to an autobody paint wholesaler and ask what a good brand would be for you to use. I normally use fiberbondo.

Good luck

lonestar13r
05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
theres a company that makes "weld in panels" all fabed up and squared off all you need to do is cut out rust and weld in panels that have any nessisary (sp) bends in them , i need two for my 94' 150 ford..right now its got Expanding foam in the fenders,,, my brother did it befor i bought the truck off him, looks funny as anything but also looks alot like $^%t. you shouldn't have to hard of luck putting a new peice of steel in , the bondoing and paint matching would throw me off thoe, good luck dude !!!
-Ethan