PDA

View Full Version : cam?

no limit
05-17-2005, 06:26 PM
when installing a hot cam do you face the lobes straight up or down when the "t" is lined up in the sight hole. also the 2 dots on the cam sproket go level with the head right? and the dot on the chain with what? i thought i knew how to do it but it doesnt seem to be running right. if this isnt right please let me know

05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I dont know, but if you stare at it long enouf I am shure you will figure it out.

RiderTRX400ex
05-17-2005, 07:34 PM
when the motor is at TDC, you will want the lobes to be facing down, they wont face directly down ,and the lines on the cam sprocket to be even with the head

no limit
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
how do i line the timing chain up with the cam sproket

05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
when I did an engine rebuild on a dirtbike, I just put stared at it for a cupple hours and then it made scence.

cals400ex
05-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by no limit
how do i line the timing chain up with the cam sproket

rotate the flywheel so that the T mark lines up. then put on the cam sprocket so that 2 lines on the sprocket align level with the head. the third line on the sprocket needs to face up, NOT down. then put the cam in with the lobes facing down.

cals400ex
05-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mittimj
when I did an engine rebuild on a dirtbike, I just put stared at it for a cupple hours and then it made scence.

get off the crack!

Joe400ex
05-18-2005, 06:18 AM
i want to get a cam now but i dont have a diff piston i still have stock. I herd that the stage 1 cam is like stock will it hurt to put a stage 2 cam or no

cals400ex
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
i want to get a cam now but i dont have a diff piston i still have stock. I herd that the stage 1 cam is like stock will it hurt to put a stage 2 cam or no

i honestly would get the stage 1 unless you want all high rpm power. you should still notice a gain with either cam with the stock piston with your full exhaust. the stage 1 will make good power everywhere and the stage 2 will suffer at low rpms and climb well around the stock rev limit. with the stage 2, you will want an aftermarket CDI box.

Joe400ex
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
well i was thinking of getting a big gun rev box so should i stil get a stage 1. the only reason i dont wan to get a stage1 is because i dont have the money to buy to cams

cals400ex
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
the 400ex only used 1 cam, not two. both stage 1 and stage 2 cams are around $130 or so. the stage 1 does tick pretty loud, this is the only down fall to this cam. i think the powerband would suit your bike better though.

FoxMxRiders
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i honestly would get the stage 1 unless you want all high rpm power. you should still notice a gain with either cam with the stock piston with your full exhaust. the stage 1 will make good power everywhere and the stage 2 will suffer at low rpms and climb well around the stock rev limit. with the stage 2, you will want an aftermarket CDI box.

Im thinking about buying a cam with a 11:1 compression piston.But if the bore is ok I will keep the stock bore

So I think about the stage 2 because I like when I ride and the power is at high rpm

So Hotcam stage 2,high compression piston (stock bore) and a CDI ... I will see the difference or im better with the stage 1?

cals400ex
05-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
Im thinking about buying a cam with a 11:1 compression piston.But if the bore is ok I will keep the stock bore

So I think about the stage 2 because I like when I ride and the power is at high rpm

So Hotcam stage 2,high compression piston (stock bore) and a CDI ... I will see the difference or im better with the stage 1?

we have had great luck with the stage 1 cam in our 406's. we noticed the stage 2 didn't make much difference. that was until we popped on a full HMF exhaust. the stage 2 ran awesome then. i wouldn't hesitate getting a stage 2 if you like high rpm power. i really would look into a full exhuast though.

2004exrider
05-19-2005, 01:52 PM
the stage 2 is really meant for 426cc and higher. hotcams even states that on their site. if you put it in youll lose bottom end but still gain some top end, like they all said it is for higher rpm. i have stage 1 with stock piston so id suggest that to you.

Joe400ex
05-19-2005, 02:34 PM
well il prob later get a 416 so i think ill just get a stage 1 will i really fell a diff.

cals400ex
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
you should feel a difference if you ride the bike hard, even with the stock piston. if your going to change the piston, i wouldn't even do it unless you are going to buy a cam. the cam seems to help more than the piston does from my experience.