PDA

View Full Version : Chest Protector - Does Brand affect Quality?

BlazingYamahaYz
05-17-2005, 06:11 PM
My mom wants me to get something to protect my spine/chest when I get my quad. I just wanted to know if a chest protector would work. Also, does no name brand X do the same job as say a Fox chest protector? Is a chest protector basically the same for any brand?

blaster_rider68
05-17-2005, 06:19 PM
they are mostly the same thing but they have a different name on them and they are dofferent colors

wilkin250r
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Some are certainly more comfortable than others.

jwick07
05-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I have a Thor, Aftershock for $100 its great saved my butt many times from what could have been serious injury. Great money spent

BlazingYamahaYz
05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Alright thanks guys. For some reason my mom is freaked out thinking I'm going to roll a quad on top of myself. I used to ride dirt bikes(had an XL125 and a Yz125), and if this is the price I have to pay to get a quad, no problem. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Punk'd
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I like the Fox ones. Im getting a red one to match my 450:D

TORO1968
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I would think that price and brand have some to do with quality and strength. Heck, look at helmets... I don't know, when it comes to critical safety gear like this, I want the best.

Looks like I'm gonna go with a Fox Airframe.

On a side note, do any of you guys wear a neck roll? I've been thinking seriously about getting one, but wasn't sure if it'd be uncomfortable.

661 makes a lower profile neck roll that attaches to your chest protector...looks pretty sweet. Anyone have it?

MXracer16
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
I have a Thor, Aftershock for $100 its great saved my butt many times from what could have been serious injury. Great money spent

I've got the same one. Very comfortable and affordable. I would highly recommend it.

ThumPIN_450R
05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
I have a fox air frame and I hate the bulky feeling of a big hunk of plastic hanging off me while I ride but i just got a roxstar under jersey protector and it still doesn't feel as good to me as not having a protector at all but it's better than getting blasted in the chest with roost I guess

bradley300
05-18-2005, 05:05 AM
i would say they are all about the same protection wise, i think what you really need to ask around about is how well certain brand/modles hold together.

btw, i love all my moose gear;)

BlazingYamahaYz
05-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
Which brands/models hold together best? Which is most comfortable?

What he said^ . I'd be willing to spend $100-150 on one. I have only looked at Fox so far, I deffinetly am going to go to a shop one of these days and try a couple on.

Jekyl_22
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
You could always go with something from sixsixone. You can get upper body suits that have molded plastic to protect your spine and tons of pads to protect everywhere else. They make neck nuts as well.

This might be a good idea since every bit of protection helps... and you can still wear your chest protector over it and your jersey if you want. Plus, a chest protector doesn't protect your lower spine... the body armor stuff does.

Oh and as for the neck thing being uncomfortable... it isn't. It's a bit weird at first, but you get used to it. To get used to mine, I just started wearing it and my helmet around the house and actually kept them on for somewhere around 18 hours or so. I even slept with it on. :p

But anyways... good luck and be safe!

wilkin250r
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
The different brands and styles also tend to fit different body types.

I've got pretty broad shoulders, and I have a Thor Aftershock. I feel like that scene on Tommy Boy when he's singing "Fat guy in a little coat". Even though I adjusted all the straps to max size, it just LOOKS small and goofy on me. I'm thinking I'll get rid of it and buy myself a Fox, they're a bit more comfortable, and look a little better on a big guy like me.

trick450r
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The different brands and styles also tend to fit different body types.

I've got pretty broad shoulders, and I have a Thor Aftershock. I feel like that scene on Tommy Boy when he's singing "Fat guy in a little coat". Even though I adjusted all the straps to max size, it just LOOKS small and goofy on me. I'm thinking I'll get rid of it and buy myself a Fox, they're a bit more comfortable, and look a little better on a big guy like me.

get the SHIFT chrome cp thats what i have and its pretty large and very comfy...

coryatver
05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Don't expect a chest protector to protect to much they are just for roost mostly... about all chest protectors are about the same some look like they are exactly the same with different stickers.

JDiablo
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
here this is the one i have,very comfortable to :devil:

Thump_It
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I have one of the Thor ones, the more expensive one I think. I'm a pretty narrow framed guy and it fits nicely. I don't really even notice it when I ride.

400grl
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey - I have a FOX AIRFRAME too - I just bought it.....before that I had Acerbis. And a chest protector WILL protect your back and shoulders and chest if you crash....it's not just roost protection. I have been saved many times by mine......pay for a good one. The Airframe is a good one, for sure....Acerbis makes good ones....Thor and No Fear make good ones.....mostly get one that feels comfortable to you. You won't want to wear it if it doesn't fit you right........but definately wear one. You mom is smart for making you get one.

Fred55
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I really like my Shift one with the colored chrome colors..it looks sick!

spincr4hire
05-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I really like my Shift one with the colored chrome colors..it looks sick!

they are nice but the chrome peels off too easily. Same deal with my SixSixOne chest protector.

400exstud
05-18-2005, 07:32 PM
My Thor Force = $130

The first time I ever wore it I crashed off of a 50ft table top. I ended up scraping most of the paint on one of the sholders and the front is totally shattered.

The thing is it that I didn't even feel a thing when all of this happened. I landed on my shoulder and ribs so they would have cost more in money and pain than that chest protector did!

hessianmx111
05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
I have a fox airframe and it is super comfortable, can't even tell I'm wearing it. I'd say in the case of chest protectors you get what you pay for.

Meek
05-19-2005, 05:10 AM
I like my MSR one :D

spincr4hire
05-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Meek
I like my MSR one :D

sponsor whore...:o

parkers30
05-19-2005, 07:12 AM
I have an Answer which as far as I can tell is nearly identical to the MSR, just go to a good shop a try some on, I know I am thin enough that most did not fit me well

Chino
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
i just got this one, haven't had a chance to try it out though....

Ridin' Jesse
05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by jwick07

yep i got the same one...def good to have

Meek
05-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
sponsor whore...:o
You are just mad at me, I did not mean to get that much mud on your truck......:rolleyes: