PDA

View Full Version : ? on DMC Alien pipe

Deathbringer
05-20-2002, 11:35 PM
Has anyone Dyno'd a Alien pipe on a 400ex?? If so how does it compare to WB E-series??
Or does anyone have a link to a website that has done a dyno on the pipe..

Thanks in advance

mopar 400
05-20-2002, 11:41 PM
All right got bopth our quads back today from the dyno run, and the eseries pulled way harder on the low end than my DR, which is almost identical to the alien, since it was made by DMC for Duncan Racing. The e series is also connected to the powerbomb, so this may have had a big influence on the results, but the Dyno showed more low and mid with the E and more top end with the DR. I was a little dissapointed on the actual numbers however. The engine builder just installed 416 kits in both our 400's and the one with the pbomb eseries set up toped out at 7000 rpm with 30.9 horsepower. The other, same 416 xr cam set up topped out at just a hare under 30. Don't ask me how acuratte these results are, but I tell you one thing, I was hopin to be at around 35 ponnies on both.:confused:

DESDAK4
05-21-2002, 06:09 AM
We don't have anything like a dyno up here but, my friend and I installed our pipe and a couple other things all at the same time and who wins is decided by the rider the bike are even if I don't have a little more.

Mine, E-series slip on and modded head pipe

His, DMC Alien full system

05-21-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by mopar 400
The engine builder just installed 416 kits in both our 400's and the one with the pbomb eseries set up toped out at 7000 rpm with 30.9 horsepower. The other, same 416 xr cam set up topped out at just a hare under 30.

Now that's interesting??:huh

MOFO
05-21-2002, 07:52 AM
Wow.... I would have figured it was atleast a 7-8hp gain(seat of the pants testing :D ) with the cam, over bore & high compression piston (plus exhaust). Could you go into a bit more detail of how the quads are setup? (airfilter, airbox mod's, jetting...etc)

Eric

knighttime
05-21-2002, 08:09 AM
I think a 416 with xr cam done correctly, jetted correctly, and piped should read closer to 40 hp than 30 hp. :eek:

I think that dyno was off or the quads werent assembled and/or broken in correctly.

Also, I'd love to find a "quad" dyno around where i live. A local dealer, Northgate Honda, has a dyno that even has something that will read your exhaust gases to get u jetted correctly, but it's for motorcycles only.

:blah

05-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Well I just made some calls around me and there's a place that I can get a HP reading on a dyno for $20,,so the 416 will be goin down there within the next 2 weeks..I'll let ya know what I find out,,if it's around 30HP I won't be posting the results..:o

knighttime
05-21-2002, 09:11 AM
You should be around 38+hp.

A properly jetted, piped, air-box modified 400ex w/o engine work should read around 30-32hp.

Why dont u take it to the dyno place tonight? :confused:

05-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by knighttime

Why dont u take it to the dyno place tonight? :confused:

Cuz I got a friggen migraine today so I'm goin home and drinkin lots of cold beer to ease the pain..:D Plus this place is about 45 minutes away,,,one cool thing is it's a yamaha dealer,,so I can't wait ta roll the marcum 420SS off in front of possible customers,,then fire that thing up and let er rip on the dyno.:eek: So I kinda wan't to do it like on a saturday when people are there lookin at rapturds and warriors and all of a sudden they hear this pissed off growl in the back room,,scratchin their heads goin,,,,man,what the he11 you guys got in that back room,,and few minutes later a honda rolls out the back door...:devil

Texan32
05-21-2002, 11:49 AM
Be lucky there is a dyno in the area. I live in ND and there isn't a single chassis dyno in the entire state! There is a Harley shop in Fargo that has one, but its only big enough for a bike (one tire)

I have the Alien system. i really would like to know what my quad is putting out. Whats really funny though is how even if its only added like 3 hp, it sure made a huge difference in how it feels.

anyone in the northern part of south dakota or the western part of Minnesota have a dyno? i'm willing to drive a bit to get real numbers.

DESDAK4
05-21-2002, 11:51 AM
I've been trying to find one too it just sucks. Maybe I can find one in Oregon this summer.

knighttime
05-21-2002, 11:52 AM
Rico hits 42+ on the dyno.

DESDAK4
05-21-2002, 11:55 AM
That's about what I would think.

05-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Rico hits 42+ on the dyno.

I would be real happy if I got that high but I don't see it. But what the heck do I know..:huh :huh

Blackguywithouta400
05-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Im going to guess 36 but im not sure, i would bring some hoosiers on rims for the dyno if its a yamaha shop they might not have rims for the honda, dirt tires dont work so well on dynos they slip alot and u get lower hp numbers.

DMC/ All exhaust im going to be honest here ive only rode 2 exhaust systems on my bike. Stock and the DMC Alien, i know its better then stock but since i havent run 50 different pipes i dont know if another one works better. No one really knows how there bike will respond to a system without running it. There is a few exhust shootouts on the web that give a pretty good idea as to how much power they prodoce. The main thing i like about the system was the header pipes i liked how 2 pipes flowed the exhaust away and they never mixed with each other except for the very beginning of the slilencer if u want to call it that. Some say the bigger headers of the Sparks x6 and dmc are better for built motors that can use the type of flow they offer. I got my pipe for 250$ used and have beat the crap out if it racing for 9 months and i think its the best race pipe out there because of the rebuildable exhaust can u can take everything out and fix dents and things that u couldnt do so easy on a standard exhaust. Ive had to do this, ive also had mounting tabs re welded from having people crash into me and brake my exhaust. All in all i would just buy what i hear from everyone that has one buy a DMC or Sparks x6 exhaust system for a 400ex.

frogburner
05-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Hey Knighttime,
Are you a Dale Jr. Fan???

MOFO
05-21-2002, 09:28 PM
I would say 40 is a bit high. I would agree with blackguy400....around 36-38 seems reasonable (with everything running perfect). Then again, we are only guessing.... we'll just have to wait for Rico's test. :D BTW...if its that bad, PM me with the results... LOL :devil

I'm wondering what kind of gas they used for those 30hp results? 87, 93 or the good stuff....

Eric

Deathbringer
05-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the help guys..

If you are in the southern oregon area there is a place in shady cove that you can get dyno'd at.

Thanks guys

knighttime
05-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
Hey Knighttime,
Are you a Dale Jr. Fan???

and Rico is lubing the f' out of the chain, airbox clean as a mofo, kentucky moonshine injected in the float bowl, and rumor has it he may go to pink plastic before the dyno run because it's been proven faster. :confused: :eek:

I know it's kinda high, but I still say 42

05-22-2002, 12:59 AM
Like most, I don't have any hp numbers, but we have 3 400's, one has a stock header+FMF Powercore4, one with DMC complete and one with a Bills Thunder Complete, all jetted properly and reasonably close in hours. We raced them up Test Hill, a 50 degree sandhill climb of about 150yards and at the sand drags(all on sand skates) and the DMC walks away every time. We even switch riders and each time it's DMC-1 FMF-2TIED W/BILLS. It seems to make more hi-rpm hp.

mopar 400
05-22-2002, 01:02 AM
Ok I knew this was going to get a lot of questions. Here is the Deal with the Dyno run. I had the kit installed, but we have not had a true break in with them. We ran a dyno to get a baseline, and we will be taking them back to get another run. The Bikes are set up execatly the same. They both have A KN air filter, no airbox lid, 10.8 to 1 je pistons, viton valve seals, xr 400 cams, cometic gaskets, stock carbs, with a 38 pilot 185 main jets. I have the E series with 15 discs on it and the DR was run with 12 discs. We ran the DR on the dyno without the Discs and actually noticed a slight decrease in power, so the discs stay on. As far as the tires they were both ran with ITP holeshots, so a few ponies may have been lost due to this fact. I am aware of the fact the tires are not great to run a dyno with, and hope this is the main reason for the low numbers. I have no acces to a set of hoosiers!

I am taking both bikes to the Dunes this weekend and hope to get the real test at comp hill. After they get a few more hours and the engine is good and broke in they are goin back on the dyno.

If the results are still pretty low, a new carb may be in the near future.

MOFO
05-22-2002, 06:09 AM

and Rico is lubing the f' out of the chain, airbox clean as a mofo, kentucky moonshine injected in the float bowl, and rumor has it he may go to pink plastic before the dyno run because it's been proven faster. :confused: :eek:

I know it's kinda high, but I still say 42

Nope... not 40 or even 42hp. Thats gaining over 12+hp. We should all place bets....kinda like the Price is Right. I stand by my 36hp. (and I still think thats generous). :D

The only way I could see 42 would be some valve work (oversized) and a new carb...then 40+hp might be possible.

Eric

DESDAK4
05-22-2002, 06:44 AM
Looks like I can take mine to shady cove in July when I am home. It is only an hour and a half from dads house. Cool

knighttime
05-22-2002, 07:56 AM
I think 34-38 is the right hp # for Rico. I think I was figuring that the stock hp was higher than it actually is (34?):huh but who knows

MOFO
05-22-2002, 08:04 AM
stock HP is around 27-28 (varies on altitude, jetting and the dyno)

Eric

knighttime
05-22-2002, 08:13 AM
ill bet 42, ill stick with my original guess :o

Texan32
05-22-2002, 08:54 AM
you guys talking about hoosiers...don't waste your money! Here's what i am going to do. There are trailer tires that measure 20x8.5x10. I know thats a little narrow, but hey, your just looking for a little solid meat to hit the rollers...right The pretty much look like slicks. There is a used set setting at the tire store i work ar part time. i'm going to snag them and when i finally find a dyno, i'm just going to throw them on. You can find these tire just about anywhere that trailer tires are sold. and. i'm SURE they are cheaper and just as effective (for dyno runs) as hoosiers.

05-23-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Blackguyona400
i would bring some hoosiers

I'm taken 1 hoosier with me,,he's one of my riding buddies from Indiana..:D

I'll be taken it next week to find out..:eek: