PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 Carb Problems

Steelerz37
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
I had this in the utility section but havent got a response, and realized this might be a better section.

I was working on my friends quad with him, its a 1997(i think) Suzuki lt250 Quad runner.

History:
It was running a while back then just stopped all of a sudden and we never really messed with it at the time. Well, now its good camping weather and we want to go out so we need to get his quad running. Turns out the reason it wouldnt start was because the jets were clogged really bad. We cleaned them up last Tuesday and it started up after a little bit of cranking.

New Problem:
Well we thought we had it fixed. On Tuesday, the day we got it fired back up again, once we had it started it would run good. If you turned it off then started it right up again it would fire up nicely, but if it sat for very long you had to sit and crank for like 5 minutes before it finally would start up. Well later Tuesday night it stopped starting all together. So we spent all Saturday afternoon working on it, cleaning the carb again, spent some time with the air filter, since we beilive that was the source of the dirt in the carb, and some other stuff. Put it back together and nothing, wont start. After some more messing with it I had him take the boot off the air box to the carb and I started playing with the choke(?), it looks nothing like my 400ex choke, and We got it to start up, runs pretty poor, but atleast it started.

Our Ideas:
The carb is different from my 400ex, it has some vacuum tubes that go to the tank to push gas to the carb, and the choke is strange. When you take the top plate off the carb, there is a diaphram in there with the choke peice I am talking about, along with a spring. The needle goes through this choke peice through the main carb tube(venturi?), and this choke peice goes into the tube to. Now when he hits the throttle the choke peice, along with the needle move up, but full throttle wont lift it the whole way up.
The only thing we can think of is that the diaphram has a little hole in it, or something.

Any input on this would be great, we really want to get it going for the next couple of weekends.

Thanks guys.

blue416ex
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
sounds like there is a possible few things wrong

1 there is infact ahole in the diaphram its the same concept of the Z400 stock carb

2 spark plug is fouling and it may be sparking a few times but not consistently(sp)

3 electics are grounding out on you causing it to start sometimes

4 rejet and get a new diaphram and see what happens after that

thats all i can think of now :confused:

Steelerz37
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by blue416ex
sounds like there is a possible few things wrong

1 there is infact ahole in the diaphram its the same concept of the Z400 stock carb

2 spark plug is fouling and it may be sparking a few times but not consistently(sp)

3 electics are grounding out on you causing it to start sometimes

4 rejet and get a new diaphram and see what happens after that

thats all i can think of now :confused:

1: This is what we thought

2: plug isnt really getting fouled, the white part turned a nice tan color, after some time on it

3: We thought of this as well, but when it would start the first day, it would run just great. This makes us think that its not the problem.

4: Now I have no clue as to what we would rejet it to, I am thinking the jetting is fine since the plug turned the tan color. He called a few dealers, and they all said he couldnt buy just a diaphram *bullsh*it*, but he had to buy the choke peice as well, which is $130... Now this wouldnt be so bad, but kinda hated to go and send that much not knowing for sure thats even the problem.

But it seems that your leaning to thinking its the diaphram as well? I just dont understand why they would make him buy all that stuff, when the diaphram is completely seperated from everything else, sounds like just a way for them to make more money to me.

05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
try a fule filter, there may be somthin in the tank. I use compressed air to cleen the carb out on a 67 ski doo snowmobile. if you have ever delt with a snowmobile that old you know that the carb is the problem every time.

so all I can tell you really is, cleen , cleen , cleen, new diafram, filter.