PDA

View Full Version : suspension travel ?

6858-400ex
05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
if i were to get long travel a-arms and shocks how much more travel would i get

gojk
05-16-2005, 10:37 PM
You don't actually gain travel with long travel. Long travel refers to you getting a longer shock shaft travel, which allows for more control over the valving of the shock.

If you look at your suspension there really isn't any way of gaining more travel. Your frame is almost hitting the ground at full compressed stock. You do actually gain travel by having longer a-arms and shocks setup for having longer a-arms.

bradley300
05-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by gojk
You don't actually gain travel with long travel. Long travel refers to you getting a longer shock shaft travel, which allows for more control over the valving of the shock.

If you look at your suspension there really isn't any way of gaining more travel. Your frame is almost hitting the ground at full compressed stock. You do actually gain travel by having longer a-arms and shocks setup for having longer a-arms.

with longer a-arms, you are gaining WHEEL travel, not SUSPENSION travel.

and you can actually gain suspension travel with a longer shock, but all the new travel comes when the shock extendes from the ride hieght. you are correct, there is no travel worth gaining from ride height to compressed shocks

TBD
05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
with longer a-arms, you are gaining WHEEL travel, not SUSPENSION travel.

and you can actually gain suspension travel with a longer shock, but all the new travel comes when the shock extendes from the ride hieght. you are correct, there is no travel worth gaining from ride height to compressed shocks

I think he was asking if there was much of a travel difference between std. arms and long shock arms.
There isn't so much of a wheel travel difference bieng that you can get the same amount of wheel travel out of both. Like gojk said, where you benifit is the difference in shaft velocity. The faster shaft velocity( long shock ) helps with valving. The other long shock advantage is that the mount is much further out on the arm so the leverage or motion ratio is lower ( lower is better ). I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say compressed shock or ride hieght shock. I assume you are talking about a preloaded shock or a none preload shock ( which doesn't exsist ).